Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Kyoko
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South California
"Month-to-month" iphone5 = "Unlocked"?

Hello everyone!

I posted the following message on some other thread but please allow me to post it again because no attention has been paid so far and I really need to know the answer.

I live in Tokyo and I'm planning on visiting the USA to buy an unlocked iphone 5 because "docomo", a Japanese carrier I subscribe to, has no contract with APPLE to sell carrier-locked iphone 5 here in Japan. I want a 1429A(CDMA) model because, with AT&T model (1428A MSG), we can not use LTE here in Japan.

Now, Verizon has begun to sell "month-to-month" iphone 5 at full price, but I'm not very sure what "month-to-month" means since we are not very familiar with that kind of subscription style here. My question is:

Can a verizon month-to-month iphone be used as a universally-usable unlocked one? If the answer is yes, will they unlock it at a verizon store on the same day of purchase? If the answers are all YES, I will pack my case and reserve air ticket right away!

Thank you always for your help!
Kyoko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Month-to-Month is just another word for "no contract." But "no contract" isn't necessarily unlocked. However, Apple said it's not going to sell unlocked phones in the U.S. for a few weeks.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com

Last edited by Chupa Chupa; Sep 19, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect info about Canadian iPhones
Chupa Chupa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Gabichon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Month-to-Month is just another word for "no contract." But "no contract" isn't necessarily unlocked. However, Apple said it's not going to sell unlocked phones in the U.S. for a few weeks. All iPhones in Canada will be unlocked and the Canadian model is the same as the U.S. AT&T model.
You mean they sell unlocked ones on launch day in Canada?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...on-launch-day/

Last edited by Gabichon; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Gabichon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
illutionz
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoko View Post
Hello everyone!

I posted the following message on some other thread but please allow me to post it again because no attention has been paid so far and I really need to know the answer.

I live in Tokyo and I'm planning on visiting the USA to buy an unlocked iphone 5 because "docomo", a Japanese carrier I subscribe to, has no contract with APPLE to sell carrier-locked iphone 5 here in Japan. I want a 1429A(CDMA) model because, with AT&T model (1428A MSG), we can not use LTE here in Japan.

Now, Verizon has begun to sell "month-to-month" iphone 5 at full price, but I'm not very sure what "month-to-month" means since we are not very familiar with that kind of subscription style here. My question is:

Can a verizon month-to-month iphone be used as a universally-usable unlocked one? If the answer is yes, will they unlock it at a verizon store on the same day of purchase? If the answers are all YES, I will pack my case and reserve air ticket right away!

Thank you always for your help!
Hello Kyoko, you have to purchase both the A1429 phone and subscribe to a service from verizon, I believe. You can't just purchase the phone from them outright (if i remember correctly)
In addition to that, you will have to keep the service for 60 days before you can call them and ask to unlock the phone so you can use overseas carrier with LTE Band 1,3, and 5

Now, from my wikipedia research :P , NTT DoCoMo is using LTE Band 1, 19, and 21. If this is the case, then theoretically, you only need the LTE Band 1 because that's the only one compatible with your network.

If that's the case, it is most probably easier and cheaper for you to travel to say Hong Kong or Singapore and purchase the A1429 GSM model there. These A1429 GSM phone supports LTE Band 1,3, and 5 but does not support LTE Band 13 and 25 which Verizon/Sprint uses. They are already unlocked in HK and Singapore and i'm sure the ticket from Tokyo to HK or Singapore is a lot cheaper vs to the USA.

Here's Apple's link to explain the 3 models:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Let me know if you have any other question.
__________________
2009 iMac 27" + 24" monitor, i7 QC 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB iPhone 6 Plus Silver 64GB 2011 MacBook Air 13"
illutionz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
roberthodgson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Canada will not be selling the unlocked IPhones at the retail level on launch day there is no announcement when they will start. You have to order online at Apple.ca
roberthodgson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:42 PM   #6
illutionz
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthodgson View Post
Canada will not be selling the unlocked IPhones at the retail level on launch day there is no announcement when they will start. You have to order online at Apple.ca
The OP stated that they do not want the A1428 model. The ones selling in Apple Canada is A1428 model.

He/She needs the A1429 CDMA/GSM model to work with LTE Band 1 that NTT Docomo uses in Japan.

But your statement is correct, Apple is not selling the unlocked phones at their store even in Canada... online only
__________________
2009 iMac 27" + 24" monitor, i7 QC 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB iPhone 6 Plus Silver 64GB 2011 MacBook Air 13"
illutionz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabichon View Post
You mean they sell unlocked ones on launch day in Canada?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...on-launch-day/
Wow. Looks like the modified their policy. Thanks for pointing that out.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:11 AM   #8
MikeNemat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthodgson View Post
Canada will not be selling the unlocked IPhones at the retail level on launch day there is no announcement when they will start. You have to order online at Apple.ca
Looks like as of this morning they may have reversed their decision to reverse their decision to not sell unlocked phones in Canada. See update 3:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...on-launch-day/
MikeNemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Kyoko
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South California
Thank you guys very much for your helpful answers!
I would really appreciate it if you would give me advice when I post another question again!
Kyoko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Kyoko
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South California
no-contract verizon iphone 5 IS unlocked

I found the following thread and that tells me it has been confirmed that the no-contract verizon iphone 5 REALLY IS unlocked.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...locked+verizon

I asked a question there, but as always, no attention has been paid and so here I would like you guys to help me get final answers to the following questions.

1) Can the no-contract verizon iphone 5 function correctly in Japan like it does on At&t network?

2) Can the no-contract verizon iphone 5 allow us to use LTE on docomo wireless network (Both can use LTE channel 1)?

3) Can I buy one at any verizon store without an online reservation?

I have decided to fly from Tokyo to LA on Oct 2 and stay there for a couple of weeks. I am in a hurry and I would really appreciate it if you could answer to my questions.

Thanks a ton!!
Kyoko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoko View Post
I found the following thread and that tells me it has been confirmed that the no-contract verizon iphone 5 REALLY IS unlocked.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...locked+verizon

I asked a question there, but as always, no attention has been paid and so here I would like you guys to help me get final answers to the following questions.

1) Can the no-contract verizon iphone 5 function correctly in Japan like it does on At&t network?

2) Can the no-contract verizon iphone 5 allow us to use LTE on docomo wireless network (Both can use LTE channel 1)?

3) Can I buy one at any verizon store without an online reservation?

I have decided to fly from Tokyo to LA on Oct 2 and stay there for a couple of weeks. I am in a hurry and I would really appreciate it if you could answer to my questions.

Thanks a ton!!
You should be able to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 at the no commitment price. (Full price.) The GSM card slot is unlocked. The Verizon iPhone 5 works with UK/Asia LTE.

The AT&T iPhone 5 only works with USA & Canada LTE so you should buy the Verizon version to use in Asia.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Kyoko
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
You should be able to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 at the no commitment price. (Full price.) The GSM card slot is unlocked. The Verizon iPhone 5 works with UK/Asia LTE.

The AT&T iPhone 5 only works with USA & Canada LTE so you should buy the Verizon version to use in Asia.
Thank you very much for answering to my questions. Your words are so encouraging to me!

There is one thing I would like you to clarify. When you say "You should be able to buy a verizon iphone 5 at the no commitment price", does that mean I should be able to buy one at any Verizon retail store?

Thank you always!
Kyoko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:35 AM   #13
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoko View Post
Thank you very much for answering to my questions. Your words are so encouraging to me!

There is one thing I would like you to clarify. When you say "You should be able to buy a verizon iphone 5 at the no commitment price", does that mean I should be able to buy one at any Verizon retail store?

Thank you always!
Yes, at any Verizon or Apple Retail store. Just say you would like to purchase the device only. No commitment or contract.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Ran7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
smart in contract ebay sellers will be selling 1429 unlocked.
The international department at sprint says they will have the same policy as 4s, which tehy will is unlock if the customer has 60 days of service. that isnt 60 days with that iphone, but 60 days as a customer. As a long time customer, if the info is right Spriint will unlock for me within hours. I am going to give it a shot on Monday or tuesday,so it isnt certain as to how fast apple will provide unlock to sprint for each individual phone, so don't take that as 100%.

of course if apple and providers like vz are sellign unlocked at retail then that is cool too. Frankly I doubt vz will have stock in the next month of unlocked. they might make some moeny on sale but nowhere near their interest in applying inventory to contracts which is where they really make money. especially if phone is in short supply.
Ran7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Kyoko
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
Yes, at any Verizon or Apple Retail store. Just say you would like to purchase the device only. No commitment or contract.
Thank you Coleman2010! all the way from Tokyo! Hopefully, I can buy 5 or 6 iphone 5s while in LA as I have already been asked by my friends to buy for them Please take good care of two Japanese Yankees, Ichiro and Kuroda
Kyoko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:02 AM   #16
mascarato
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
Yes, at any Verizon or Apple Retail store. Just say you would like to purchase the device only. No commitment or contract.
Hi!

interesting thread...but i do have a question!
if you buy a no commitment or contract free phone, how would you activate it?

with any previous generation you had to have service from the carrier you buy the phone from to be able to activate it.

correct me if i'm wrong
mascarato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascarato View Post
Hi!

interesting thread...but i do have a question!
if you buy a no commitment or contract free phone, how would you activate it?

with any previous generation you had to have service from the carrier you buy the phone from to be able to activate it.

correct me if i'm wrong
As I have not done this yet, I believe you just connect it to iTunes. Then iTunes gives you the congratulations you are unlocked message then you can insert any SIM.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:11 AM   #18
mascarato
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
As I have not done this yet, I believe you just connect it to iTunes. Then iTunes gives you the congratulations you are unlocked message then you can insert any SIM.
thx!

i still have some doubts, with ATT usually you have some steps where you need to select a plan or log in with your existing account...would be interesting to find out, otherwise he will buy 5 "locked" phones!
mascarato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:42 PM   #19
selo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Success?

Kyoko-san:
I wonder if you are able to use the LTE frequency DoCoMo uses in Japan with your Verizon iPhone 5?

Best,
selo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Trail of Tears" Banners Spark Outrage During Native American Month bradl Politics, Religion, Social Issues 39 Nov 24, 2013 09:48 PM
How to sort in finder by month "June" "July" djsound OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Oct 10, 2013 01:08 PM
Fastest GPU Ever (NVidia's "Titan") To Be Released This Month? What About Mac Users? slughead Mac Pro 10 Feb 10, 2013 04:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC