Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regularbobj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Does Apple, or anyone for that matter, have a flat-rate comprehensive repair package?
I have a 3 year old 13" MBP with several issues, but functional.

For example, I would like the following repairs:
Fix microphone
Fix logic board issue
Replace screen
Replace battery

In my ideal world, I would shell out $600, and get back pretty much a new machine. I don't want to purchase a new one, since my current one has many functional components (aka everything but those listed above).

Thanks!

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You would need to contact Apple, I am not sure if this would be a tier 2 or 3. My guess is tier 3 meaning over $600.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Does Apple, or anyone for that matter, have a flat-rate comprehensive repair package?
I have a 3 year old 13" MBP with several issues, but functional.

For example, I would like the following repairs:
Fix microphone
Fix logic board issue
Replace screen

Replace battery

In my ideal world, I would shell out $600, and get back pretty much a new machine. I don't want to purchase a new one, since my current one has many functional components (aka everything but those listed above).

Thanks!

If no accidental damage anywhere on the machine, you should be able to pull it off for less, actually. If there's any sign of damage, then the two items I put in bold up there eliminate all possibility of a cheap repair, because those place it solidly in the Tier IV category, which will exceed $1000 on many types of machines. Hopefully there's no dents or scratches…

jW

regularbobj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys!

You're referring to some tier system. For some reason I can't find it online? Is there a link you can point me to that would explain the tier system (prices, what is covered) to me?

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
As far as I know, it's not available to the public. Apple has a tier system of 3 tiers, the 1st being little to no signs of damage, in which it costs around $300. I think tier two is 700, and that's damage that's not a broken screen or liquid damage. Tier three is physical damage and liquid damage, and it can run over a thousand.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
As far as I know, it's not available to the public. Apple has a tier system of 3 tiers, the 1st being little to no signs of damage, in which it costs around $300. I think tier two is 700, and that's damage that's not a broken screen or liquid damage. Tier three is physical damage and liquid damage, and it can run over a thousand.

Actually, as I stated above, it's 4 tiers. All of them are related to damage, but the decision about which tier applies is based on the part that is damaged, not the type of damage.

jW

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Actually, as I stated above, it's 4 tiers. All of them are related to damage, but the decision about which tier applies is based on the part that is damaged, not the type of damage.

jW

Isn't a logic board replacement cost well above $600 though? Not that I'm doubting you, it makes sense, but it seems like that part alone would drastically increase the price of the repair for a 3 year old machine.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA

jW

Hmm.. That's interesting. I just had an our of warranty repair completed on my Unibody MacBook. It overheated and wouldn't turn on, and the genuis told me what I said above. My MacBook was $307 after taxes to repair, and they replaced the logic board, battery, and RAM. I was told it was tier two.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Isn't a logic board replacement cost well above $600 though? Not that I'm doubting you, it makes sense, but it seems like that part alone would drastically increase the price of the repair for a 3 year old machine.

A logic board replacement would normally be significantly more, yes. However, Apple offers these flat-rate services and just averages out the cost so they don't take a big hit overall even if sometimes they put more into the machine than the cost the customer pays really seems to justify. It's a nice service.

Hmm.. That's interesting. I just had an our of warranty repair completed on my Unibody MacBook. It overheated and wouldn't turn on, and the genuis told me what I said above. My MacBook was $307 after taxes to repair, and they replaced the logic board, battery, and RAM. I was told it was tier two.

If you didn't have any damage, it shouldn't have been called a Tier anything. It was a Flat-Rate Out Of Warranty Mail-In Repair. If there's no damage, Apple will repair anything for that same flat fee. It's only if there's damage that they apply the Tier system, because that specifically refers to which things have been damaged.

jW

regularbobj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
A logic board replacement would normally be significantly more, yes. However, Apple offers these flat-rate services and just averages out the cost so they don't take a big hit overall even if sometimes they put more into the machine than the cost the customer pays really seems to justify. It's a nice service.

If you didn't have any damage, it shouldn't have been called a Tier anything. It was a Flat-Rate Out Of Warranty Mail-In Repair. If there's no damage, Apple will repair anything for that same flat fee. It's only if there's damage that they apply the Tier system, because that specifically refers to which things have been damaged.

jW

Wow, thanks! This has been super helpful. So, the consensus is that the specifications for Tiers is NOT available to the public?

In addition, do they assign you a Tier before they mail it in for repair, or is that determined after you mail it in? If the latter, does that mean you have no idea how much it will cost until AFTER the repair??

edit: Additional question: if you get it repaired, can you buy a warranty for the repair?

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Wow, thanks! This has been super helpful. So, the consensus is that the specifications for Tiers is NOT available to the public?

In addition, do they assign you a Tier before they mail it in for repair, or is that determined after you mail it in? If the latter, does that mean you have no idea how much it will cost until AFTER the repair??

edit: Additional question: if you get it repaired, can you buy a warranty for the repair?

They will quote you a specific tier usually, but if they find additional damage, they may call back and re-quote you at a different rate. There is a 90 warranty on the work, but no option for an additional warranty.

jW

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida

yup sounds right, I had an issue with MPB out of warranty repair and I was given that option $300 + tax to supposedly replace the logic board+ any other components to help get the machine back up and running

Benjamin99

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
I have a 2008 24" iMac that I purchased used a few years back. It now has a failed logic board. Would this be something that would qualify for the Flat Rate Repair? I am seeing the boards starting out at $499 and don't want to spend more than about $300 to get this thing up and running again.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This is awesome to know, I had no Idea.
So if for whatever reason my motherboard dies, as long as there is no signs of physical, liquid damage or signs of tampering it should theoretically cost around 300$?
Just Curious as I never bought Applecare on my Macbook

Benjamin99

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
$280 + tax as long as it has no physical or liquid damage...

Great news! I will have to take it in soon. Now...I have cracked it open in the past to replace the HDD...but worked fine for a year after, so I know it wasnt my "tampering"...would you think this would have any affect on the repair? Obviously, I wont know for sure until I take it in, but wanted some insight from anyone with prior experience with this.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.