Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4426
d0r1en0
macrumors member

Just got my 5 last night. There's like a little but of what looks like an adhesive, in the little crack between the top glass, and the aluminum on the back. Nothing too major, but it looks as if a tiny bit leaked out when the phone was put together. I plan on putting a case on it soon anyways. Should be here by sat. It's just a black thin silicone case. Don't like how the phone feels naked. So while its a "problem" I don't really look at the back of my phone while using it, and I'm covering it up.
d0r1en0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4427
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

Ridiculous.

I have went to exchange on two separate occasions.

First time I went through 3 retail black boxes - all had minor chips or other problems. Ending up keeping my phone.

Today I went back and went through 7 phones! ALL of them had some sort of minor cosmetic issue.

LAME
Mechinyun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4428
Elvergun
macrumors member

I just got a black one last Friday from Verizon - it is flawless.

The guy in the cubicle next to mine received his white one (AT&T) two weeks ago - it was, and still is, flawless.

Maybe the manufacturing process has been improved...or perhaps we are lucky.

I wanted to use it naked, but this thread has made me paranoid, so now I use a case.
Elvergun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4429
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechinyun View Post
Ridiculous.

First time I went through 3 retail black boxes - all had minor chips or other problems. Ending up keeping my phone.

Today I went back and went through 7 phones! ALL of them had some sort of minor cosmetic issue.

LAME
I really love Apple for being this nice about all of this. To allow you to open 7 retail boxes is ridiculous. I would have just refunded you the money and went about my business.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:19 PM   #4430
stoneland
macrumors member

Quote:
Ridiculous.

LAME
Wow, 7 phones? That's crazy...I'm surprised they even let you do that. Are you sure you're not just being a little bit OCD?
stoneland is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4431
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ridiculous.

LAME
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I really love Apple for being this nice about all of this. To allow you to open 7 retail boxes is ridiculous. I would have just refunded you the money and went about my business.
I really have my doubts as to whether Apple would let someone who obviously has severe OCD open up 7 boxes looking for the perfect phone.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4432
theBostonian
macrumors regular

I received mine yesterday, only issue was restoring from backup but other than that there are no scuffs. There does appear to be a slight knick on the back, where the aluminium meets the glass, but it doesn't really bother me.

Compared to the iPhone 4 the 5 is an unalloyed delight to use and look at.
theBostonian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4433
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

yep - OCD - anal - whatever you want to call it - thats me.

If there was a speck anywhere of anodizing removed or any kind of scratch or blemish I told them nope, to take it back.

I actually used up their entire stock of retail iphones AND all their replacement grey boxes.

Rejected them all - back to the factory with thee!

Mechinyun is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #4434
King Shady
macrumors regular

Quote:

If there was a speck anywhere of anodizing removed or any kind of scratch or blemish I told them nope, to take it back.

I actually used up their entire stock of retail iphones AND all their replacement grey boxes.

That's pretty pathetic.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4435
stoneland
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Shady View Post
That's pretty pathetic.
Agreed.

People are always going to be finding something wrong with their phone if they are specifically looking for a flaw. There are tons of people (like me) who would gladly take one of those that you've rejected for the 6th time, the one with the tiny speck by the headphone jack.
stoneland is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4436
bjcskier
macrumors member

Sure, it seems pathetic, but I've been through a similar scenario with Apple too. Even WEEKS after coming out with this product and acknowledging the problem that they have cosmetic flaws, they are STILL shipping imperfect devices.

It's pathetic on Apple's part, not on ours.

I've seen ~12 replacement devices and all of them have something cosmetically wrong. Would you buy a car that had a dent or scratch?

Me either.

Quote:

bjcskier is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4437
rexamafex
macrumors member

You guys are all titty babies! Talk about first world problems.
You can't have the expectations you guys have even if you bought a $6000 jewelry there's going to be wear and tear on it.... let alone an iPhone.

I bet most of you guy's wedding rings have couple dings or micro scratches on them. Going to swap that out every time that happens?

I understand if you got one out of the box scratched but for the people that use it and end up getting a ding and trying to get swaps??
rexamafex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4438
DeeEss
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexamafex View Post
You guys are all titty babies! Talk about first world problems.
You can't have the expectations you guys have even if you bought a $6000 jewelry there's going to be wear and tear on it.... let alone an iPhone.

I bet most of you guy's wedding rings have couple dings or micro scratches on them. Going to swap that out every time that happens?

I understand if you got one out of the box scratched but for the people that use it and end up getting a ding and trying to get swaps??
When you spend a fortune on something you don't expect the paint to drop off a couple days after you bought it. It's no different to out of the box in my mind. I could care less if it's a first world problem and if you judge me for it. If you make something that is defective, sell it for a premium then you gotta expect people to get a little peeved.
DeeEss is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4439
theturtle
macrumors 6502

another replacement. Scratches can only be seen under harsh lighting BUT their are THREE of them, each being a inch long. WTF is this nonsense.

gonna get another.
theturtle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4440
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Shady View Post
That's pretty pathetic.
Actually, whats pathetic is the most valuable company in the world can't produce a product that is not defective out of the box.
Jalopybox is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4441
bjcskier
macrumors member

150% true. It's incredible that more people aren't continuing to make a bigger deal out of this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
Actually, whats pathetic is the most valuable company in the world can't produce a product that is not defective out of the box.
bjcskier is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4442
King Shady
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcskier View Post
150% true. It's incredible that more people aren't continuing to make a bigger deal out of this fact.
Because the majority of people doesn't go looking around for these dents or scratches when they first receive their shiny new iPhone 5. I do agree with both of you - it is pathetic that we can't get a damn perfect product, but reality is, there's nothing that we can do to stop it - besides fixing it ourselves (with some sandpaper).
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4443
JCstudios
macrumors member

You gotta ask yourself , what happens when you have gone through 7 iPhones and got a perfect cosmetic unit. However there is hardware issue say dead pixel or even worst the home button being unresponsive ( it's probably highly unlikely). If that's the case , will you go through the cycle again? Becuas the next replacement will probably have some sort of cosmetic damage..
JCstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #4444
DeeEss
macrumors 6502a

Fairplay to Apple. They replaced my phone today without a question basically. They have restored my faith in what customer service should be like and it's why I continue to buy Apple. The cool guy at the Genius Bar agreed, he thought the case was extreme and would be unhappy himself if he were in my shoes. It really was as if the anodising was falling off.

10/10. Very satisfied. And now I have a pristine phone.
DeeEss is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4445
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
Fairplay to Apple. They replaced my phone today without a question basically. They have restored my faith in what customer service should be like and it's why I continue to buy Apple. The cool guy at the Genius Bar agreed, he thought the case was extreme and would be unhappy himself if he were in my shoes. It really was as if the anodising was falling off.

10/10. Very satisfied. And now I have a pristine phone.
This type of continuing, generally outstanding, service (thank god Browett is gone) is probably going to make me replace my 4 with a 5, despite the latter not being quite what I was hoping for (I wanted a tad larger display and am getting a bit tired with iOS). The Lumia 920 has been up until now my next device of choice but with various issues (not the weight) and the question of what kind of support I will get afterwards (actually with any of the other companies like HTC, Samsung, LG, etc) it appears to me that, on balance, my choice is relatively clear.
Peterg2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4446
JonMPLS
macrumors 6502a

I am pretty amazed . . .

. . . that Apple stores let people go thru so many iPhones to fine a "perfect" one. Really, can you imagine any other store doing that with any product? Best Buy, Verizon, Porsche, Sears, Nordstrom's? No way.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4447
thedonutbandit
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
This type of continuing, generally outstanding, service (thank god Browett is gone) is probably going to make me replace my 4 with a 5, despite the latter not being quite what I was hoping for (I wanted a tad larger display and am getting a bit tired with iOS). The Lumia 920 has been up until now my next device of choice but with various issues (not the weight) and the question of what kind of support I will get afterwards (actually with any of the other companies like HTC, Samsung, LG, etc) it appears to me that, on balance, my choice is relatively clear.
True! After sending an email to tim cook, executive relations quickly called me and set me up with a brand new retail boxed iPhone 5. They sent it to a nearby apple store.

When I opened it, I laid eyes on the first ABSOLUTELY PRISTINE iPhone 5 I had seen. No dings, dents, scratches, chips, dust under screen, swirls. Just the iPhone 5 they way its meant to look.

The person I dealt with assured me that he would not let me be unsatisfied. Good customer service.
thedonutbandit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:52 AM   #4448
jetlagged
macrumors regular

mine was scuffed out of the box. i was hoping that wouldnt be the case. the mark appears superficial, but its permanent and i cant get rid of it no matter how hard to rub my microfiber cloth on it and blow my breath on it. notice the black marks, everything else is fine, but those black marks on that aluminum backing is what gets me.

will try to exchange it or return it outright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	378772   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	378773   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	378774  

Last edited by jetlagged; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
jetlagged is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:04 AM   #4449
DeeEss
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan1310 View Post
Hard anodizing typically doesn't penetrate more than .1mm down, so any scratch deeper than that will show the raw aluminum color underneath.
I've had anodised mountain bike parts sustain far greater knocks and come unscathed. The annodising on this phone is particularly weak and brittle particularly on the chamfered edge and will scratch with the lightest of knocks. If you are the kind of person that doesn't like scratches then it needs to go in a case. Pure and simple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
mine was scuffed out of the box. i was hoping that wouldnt be the case. the mark appears superficial, but its permanent and i cant get rid of it no matter how hard to rub my microfiber cloth on it and blow my breath on it. notice the black marks, everything else is fine, but those black marks on that aluminum backing is what gets me.

will try to exchange it or return it outright.
Personally, I would take that back. It looks used.
DeeEss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4450
modthispny
macrumors newbie

the issue with opening 7 brand new retail boxes is you deplete the inventory for those that are willing to live with tiny oxidization or discoloration. apple should really limit this, especially during the holiday. that's 7 potential customers they lost.

IF it's an obvious scratch or scuff, that's a different story, but something minor, come on.

and the truth is, if you go through 7 phones and find a flaw with each and every single one of them, you will probably find a flaw for the next 100 phones.

even if the phone is 100% flawless, after a months use, even with a case, you will get some scuffs.
modthispny is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone