Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4551
djr7572
macrumors regular

183 pages of this and still counting. Good grief

Last edited by djr7572; Dec 25, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
djr7572 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4552
robert15rus
macrumors newbie

Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok?
robert15rus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:24 PM   #4553
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert15rus View Post
Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok?
I don't see anything

But the one by the volume botton is OMG
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4554
robert15rus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtnbiker View Post
I don't see anything

But the one by the volume botton is OMG
It's just a little mote, it's not a scuff.😀
robert15rus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:59 AM   #4555
yateseyd1991
macrumors regular

Just a tiny mark on the corner, but other than that, its pretty good

iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB Custom, Shure SE425's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJH8E9qSEWye6BQ1g0,(dRQ~~60_12.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	385848  
yateseyd1991 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4556
TonsOfFun420
macrumors member

Should I get my phone replaced? It has this chunk missing in the chamfered edge; I don't care about a few scratches, but this is an actual chunk of metal missing from the inside edge where it meets the glass (came like this out of the box).

I took it to the apple store and the person helping me tried to replace it with a white box without really saying anything to me. I said hang on, I don't want my brand new phone replaced with a refurbished (or w/e) unit. She said, well you only have 14 days to do that, I said I have only had it for 7 days, so she said I have to take it to SAM's club (where I bought it). I would get it exchanged without thinking twice but I am scared I will get one that is worse.

Sorry for the bad pic (wish I could take the pic with my iPhone)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	385954  
TonsOfFun420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4557
ECUpirate44
Banned

This thread is ridiculous. We all know what scratches look like on the phone. If your phone has a scratch and it bothers you, replace it. What are you asking a bunch of strangers for?
ECUpirate44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4558
TonsOfFun420
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
This thread is ridiculous. We all know what scratches look like on the phone. If your phone has a scratch and it bothers you, replace it. What are you asking a bunch of strangers for?
You are totally right, a forum is no place to ask the advice of strangers.
TonsOfFun420 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4559
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok? Image
I wouldn't bother. You'll probably end up getting something worse.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4560
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

My original black 5 had a few scuffs so I got apple care to send a new one and it was even worse. I went to the apple store and got a white box replacement that was absolutely flawless. The screen died a month later so I went back to the apple store and they replaced it with a scratched up one. I told the genius that I wouldn't accept a scratched up phone and he was very understanding. He asked the manager and the manager said I could have 1 more replacement and that was it. If it was worse then I would just have to live with it. I told him to replace it and if the 2nd replacement was worse I would talk to the manager. Luckily the replacement was near perfect so I kept it. So out of 5 iPhones I've had 3 with numerous scratches and 1 with only one scratch. Only 1 of 5 was flawless. That being said I love the 5 and wouldn't trade it for any other phone. I'm sure they will have this stuff straightened out for the 5s because I haven't heard as many problems with the mini.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4561
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsOfFun420 View Post
You are totally right, a forum is no place to ask the advice of strangers.
It's a completely subjective question that is up to the owners discretion.
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:03 AM   #4562
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Here is my scuff-history so far:

Black iphone 5, kept in leather sleeve with soft lining at all times. Occationaly i leave it sitting on the table, but then i watch it like if it would run away at any instant. I seriously treat it like a baby.

After 4 weeks tiny scuffs on the corners have appeared. Last week a larger mystery scuff apperad on the long side of the phone.

Yesterday i discovered a new scuff under above scuff.

It seems like the phone is self-scuffing.

This is higly annoying and i wonder, would i have any luck claiming warranty based on this?
lamerica80 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4563
Radio
macrumors 68000

I thought I was picky
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:37 PM   #4564
cpthk
macrumors newbie

I know that the White one uses same procedure for the finish of the matel as the black one. But I am assuming the white one has a lower scuff rate, since the silver finish is much more mature because it was used in pretty much all Apple products from the macbooks to ipods. The black finish of the matel was just introduced this year on the iphone 5 and the ipod mini. Is my assumption correct?
cpthk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4565
itjw
Banned

Quote:
Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok? Image
Yup. But thanks for removing any doubt I had when I said that most folks in this thread were obsessing over issues that required a zoom/macro lens and the right angle's to notice...

If this was anything but a joke I really truly feel bad for you and am glad I don't suffer from this level of OCD. I'm being completely serious. I really feel terrible for anyone who has to go through life worrying over things like this. It must be awful. Maybe consumer electronics should be avoided altogether for sanity's sake?

Good luck either way!
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:58 AM   #4566
cpthk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsOfFun420 View Post
Should I get my phone replaced? It has this chunk missing in the chamfered edge; I don't care about a few scratches, but this is an actual chunk of metal missing from the inside edge where it meets the glass (came like this out of the box).

I took it to the apple store and the person helping me tried to replace it with a white box without really saying anything to me. I said hang on, I don't want my brand new phone replaced with a refurbished (or w/e) unit. She said, well you only have 14 days to do that, I said I have only had it for 7 days, so she said I have to take it to SAM's club (where I bought it). I would get it exchanged without thinking twice but I am scared I will get one that is worse.

Sorry for the bad pic (wish I could take the pic with my iPhone)
Would you be able to take a better picture? I am pretty interested in your case, it's the first time I heard that the scuff is the piece that meets the glass. Most cases are the outside edges around the phone.
cpthk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:08 AM   #4567
TonsOfFun420
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpthk View Post
Would you be able to take a better picture? I am pretty interested in your case, it's the first time I heard that the scuff is the piece that meets the glass. Most cases are the outside edges around the phone.
It was not a scuff, it was a gouge/chunk of metal missing from the inner edge of the aluminum band, and there was no silver showing, like it was damaged before it was anodized.

Sorry I can't take a better pic I exchanged the phone to Sam's Club and got a new one in much better condition
TonsOfFun420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:09 AM   #4568
isalman
macrumors newbie

all black iphone 5 have this problem but black is very beutifull
isalman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:33 AM   #4569
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

I know this has probably been discussed before, but has anyone tried taking a thin tipped black permanent marker to the scuff?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
You sir, are redicioulous. This thread is for picky people like me who actually care about scuffs and scratches on their iphones. If you dont fall into this category - what the hell are you doing in this thread?
lamerica80 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4570
Scott2345
macrumors regular

Just recently purchased a factory unlock and mine is absolutey flawless.
Scott2345 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:30 AM   #4571
cpthk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2345 View Post
Just recently purchased a factory unlock and mine is absolutey flawless.
It is very hard to find a flawless one right now. I have tried 7 phones without 1 that's perfect. Some are not scuffed, but has marks on the anodized surface. They are very small, and are only noticeable at an angle.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4572
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It is very hard to find a flawless one right now. I have tried 7 phones without 1 that's perfect. Some are not scuffed, but has marks on the anodized surface. They are very small, and are only noticeable at an angle.
Today I decided to go and inspect various demo versions of both the black and white iPhone 5s at my local Future Shop (think Best Buy in the US). Yes, both were scuffed up but the black was more noticeable. That said, if I were buying new I would be a tad upset but after say a couple of months of usage I would say both were reasonably acceptable. I am very particular about my electronics (ask me about my Panasonic GT50 plasma of which I am very anal) but assuming this would be the norm I think this was OK but not ideal.

My biggest problem is playing around with a Samsung Note 2 which was awfully chintzy and faux in areas of build, apart from being overly large, but browsing with it was really good. That, to me, is my greatest quandary. The iPhone 5 with great aesthetics, but inferior in terms of browsing etc.
Peterg2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:18 AM   #4573
cpthk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
Today I decided to go and inspect various demo versions of both the black and white iPhone 5s at my local Future Shop (think Best Buy in the US). Yes, both were scuffed up but the black was more noticeable. That said, if I were buying new I would be a tad upset but after say a couple of months of usage I would say both were reasonably acceptable. I am very particular about my electronics (ask me about my Panasonic GT50 plasma of which I am very anal) but assuming this would be the norm I think this was OK but not ideal.

My biggest problem is playing around with a Samsung Note 2 which was awfully chintzy and faux in areas of build, apart from being overly large, but browsing with it was really good. That, to me, is my greatest quandary. The iPhone 5 with great aesthetics, but inferior in terms of browsing etc.
Yes, scuff on the black one is very noticeable, it just stands out so much. On top of that, this is the first time Apple is anodizing black color on their products, so foxconn is much more immature when making it. (so far only iphone 5 and the mini) The silver anodize has been there for more than 10 years and across all their products, so it is much more mature.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4574
Scott2345
macrumors regular

Quote:
Really. It's flawless I got very lucky cause I had the phone brought to me overseas to Bolivia and there's no apple store here and no way to return it.
Scott2345 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4575
madKIR
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, scuff on the black one is very noticeable, it just stands out so much. On top of that, this is the first time Apple is anodizing black color on their products, so foxconn is much more immature when making it. (so far only iphone 5 and the mini) The silver anodize has been there for more than 10 years and across all their products, so it is much more mature.
Wrong.
What about the black iPod Classic, as well as the Nano in black? They all have been around for a while.
madKIR is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone