Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:01 PM   #4601
Tulani
macrumors 6502

If they haven't heard or noticed so that they make amends then something is seriously wrong with them.

Last edited by Tulani; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Tulani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4602
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

I just got to see my buddies black iPhone 5 today, which he received as a Christmas gift. It looked like it was scuff-free and had no other cosmetic issues which I could spot. He hates all technology, however. So he doesn't really like it. I just have a problem settling for a less than flawless device when someone else who paid the exact same as me got a better product, just because they were luckier. It's insane. I think that's what bothers me most about this whole situation.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:39 PM   #4603
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

I had a tiny, tiny mark on the right hand side beveled edge out of the box but it was so minute it's difficult to even see it. I've had mine in and out of a case for 2 months and I've got no more marks anywhere on the phone. I honestly believe there was a batch of bad phones in terms of the coating or I got lucky.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4604
builtex
Banned

I think people might be underestimating what goes on during the review process.
builtex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4605
diegoesk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtex View Post
I think people might be underestimating what goes on during the review process.
I think apple better step their game up for all future iphones or risk losing alot of customers
diegoesk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:01 AM   #4606
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

In the larger scheme of things, it's a minor annoyance and not that big of a deal.

Now that I got that out the way, this is ridiculous. I've babied my phone and taken every possible precaution. I have never used the screen without protection. The phone's only been outside of a case without manuf. film covers for a few minutes, tops.

And yet the screen and case both appear to be scratched. Not a big deal, but also not acceptable. I'm going back to the store tomorrow (actually later today) to see what they say about a possible exchange. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by mackandproud; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:05 AM   #4607
lentini
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Now that I got out the way, this is ridiculous. I've babied my phone and taken every possible precaution.
Agree with that. Mine had three chips out of it even though I took a ridiculous amount of care with it. Got fed up with treating it like this in the end so I got it exchanged it for a brand new one (mine had the WiFi issue) and just sold it.
lentini is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 AM   #4608
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Well, this is the answer to the question I had. I can't say with any certainty if the phone was scratched out of box. I can however say with absolutely certainty that the phone has several scratches after extremely light use. 3 uses of the lightning port, and the phone is scratched. I've only used the port once myself (store employees were responsible on the first two occasions), and I was very careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Exactly.

Damaged out of box - Anger fully justified. Get it replaced.

Damaged from very slight use, use that wouldn't have damaged any similar piece of equipment (i.e. anodized iPod for example) - You may have one of what I believe to be a small percentage with misapplied anodizing. Get it replaced.

Part of the vast majority with no issues - Rock on.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:46 AM   #4609
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAJV View Post
An android fan can buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, he can scratch it, take some pictures, post them on the internet, then go back to Apple and start to complan that he got a bad phone, then they would give a new one to him, he'll do it again and again, and once he get bored he will stop.
really?? please say you're just joking with this post. Because if you're not, well in that case you need some help in your life.
Smartass is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:01 AM   #4610
Throw Out
macrumors member

My black iPhone is also in perfect condition.
Not using a Case, because there's no point to it.
Throw Out is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4611
Hungaroplan
macrumors newbie

Production year: 2012
Production week: 52 (December)
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Flawless.
Hungaroplan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4612
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungaroplan View Post
Production year: 2012
Production week: 52 (December)
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Flawless.
my i5 is flawless as well in a thin open case and a screen protector
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4613
mdlooker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw Out View Post
My black iPhone is also in perfect condition.
Not using a Case, because there's no point to it.
I wish I could say that. I have bastardized my phone to the fullest this time. I thought I'd be pseudo careful and not really care too much and keep it naked without coating it with one of those whole-body film protectors. I thought I'd keep it in my regular belt phone holder and I'd be good. But after a few months and looking at it repeatedly, yeeaaaa..I'll have a whole different outlook on my next purchase. Can I find on of those phone repair shops and have the bezel replaced? It really needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 02, 7 09 41 PM.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	987.0 KB
ID:	394170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 02, 7 10 20 PM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	840.3 KB
ID:	394171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 02, 7 10 36 PM.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	989.6 KB
ID:	394172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 02, 7 21 49 PM.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	394173  
mdlooker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4614
shaguaaa
macrumors newbie

buy a case

lol no idea hopefully it wont scratch easy
shaguaaa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4615
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlooker View Post
I wish I could say that. I have bastardized my phone to the fullest this time. I thought I'd be pseudo careful and not really care too much and keep it naked without coating it with one of those whole-body film protectors. I thought I'd keep it in my regular belt phone holder and I'd be good. But after a few months and looking at it repeatedly, yeeaaaa..I'll have a whole different outlook on my next purchase. Can I find on of those phone repair shops and have the bezel replaced? It really needs it.
Thatís what the edge of my MacBook Pro looks like
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:03 PM   #4616
mdlooker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Thatís what the edge of my MacBook Pro looks like
Perhaps you could get a coating on your to.. lol
mdlooker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:09 PM   #4617
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just threw up in my mouth. Dude, get a case next time. Any case at all, even a cheap one, would have prevented all that wear and tear.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4618
mdlooker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth. Dude, get a case next time. Any case at all, even a cheap one, would have prevented all that wear and tear.
I've done it for past phones and thought I'd be careful enough to avoid this on this phone but now how careless I really can be. So I'll just go back to my old self for the next one. I'm going to see if there is a repair place around here that can possibly replace the bezel.
mdlooker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4619
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't believe if you left that phone on a table it would just lose colour by itself. Sure, nicking on the bezel is much easier compared to the iPhone 4 but seriously, during the few months you used it, did you not stop and think, hmm, every time I hit the phone on something, a little colour comes off so I should be more careful and not treat it the same as I have treated other phones?
kockgunner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4620
IsaacM
macrumors member

Have been using it naked for 2 months and no marks.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4621
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020

My replacement from Apple has 0 scuffs or scratches but a very loose sleep button.
AndrewR23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:24 AM   #4622
GP20
macrumors member

I've swapped new phones probably 7~8 times before finding my current one that's flawless on the outside. Some of the ones I had returned looked good too but rattled like crazy. This one doesn't even rattle very much. Everything is good - except I've just realized that it has bad wifi range.

I've given up on this exchange game. I'm not even gonna bother getting another one. I know it's likely not gonna be perfect and will likely have different flaws. I'm just gonna wait for the iPhone 5S to replace my 5, and in the future only go for the (more likely) ironed out S version.
GP20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4623
woodynorman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth.
Really?? It's just a phone, dude.
woodynorman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4624
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

So today I was cleaning a replacement phone that I got about a week ago from the Genius Bar, and I noticed a small dent/chip on the side (not on the chamfer, on the actual side and not more then a mm in size, probably less) however, it is still anodized over, I looked at my case (speck candyshell) and I saw something that is around the same size and in around the same place, but I think it is just a defect in the rubber. My question is, could the case have caused this, or was it out of the box like this but I didn't notice? I've only had it for a week.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:24 AM   #4625
slch
macrumors newbie

Mine bought last week looks perfect out of the box. I was quite scared about the quality but it looks pretty solid in my hands. May Apple have found a solution to the scuffing problems?

I'm using an Ozaki jelly case (only covering top, sides and back), lets see how it works over time, but I'm not extremely careful. If the bottom side is not getting scratched in some time I'll probably go naked.
slch is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone