Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1451
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

Just to be crystal clear, how long after we receive the phone do we have to have it exchanged at an Apple store, no questions asked?

14 days? 30 days? I don't want a refund, but I may want it exchanged.
Khryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1452
yanki01
macrumors 68000

Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1453
Ran7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chell View Post
The issue for me is this: Where I live, AppleCare+ is not available. The regular AppleCare doesn't cover scratches. I have 14 days to decide whether to return it or not.

If Apple were to acknowledge this and this were covered under regular AppleCare I wouldn't have to worry about it.
A claim like this has nothing to do with apple care. it has to do with the law on the warranty provided without apple care. It is a returnable in exchange for new issue.

The pictures on the apple promotional and sales material don't show scratches. you received one out of the boxes with scratches. You already have a valid claim on repair or replacement with new.

Take a picture, make a claim today to Apple and your provider. It has nothing to do with applecare
Ran7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1454
ihonda
macrumors 65816

beyond pissed, looked good at first glace now i see TONS of little dings in the sharp edge
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1455
section215
macrumors member

everyone planning to return, are you going to ask for white models instead? presumably all the black models are going to either have these scuffs out of the box or develop them with extremely light use.
section215 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1456
Cynthia Steffe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Please, I understand much more than you can fathom. Since you're not a lawyer I don't expect you to understand either. Now, how can you be so sure I'm not a lawyer?
u mad?
Cynthia Steffe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1457
Ran7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryz View Post
Just to be crystal clear, how long after we receive the phone do we have to have it exchanged at an Apple store, no questions asked?

14 days? 30 days? I don't want a refund, but I may want it exchanged.
Make a claim right away, then there is NO 14 or 30 day limit. Make in an email or call to apple with an offer to provide pictures or a trip to the store ASAP. Then there is no time limit should new in box replacement not be available for even 60 days. They still must give you one or repair it to absolute pristine condition
Ran7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1458
lockerc18
macrumors regular

This just in...

iPhone5 Defect Causes Global Crisis

San Francisco, CA - In a shocking turn of events today, the worldwide roll-out of Apple's new iPhone5 has caused wide-ranging social disturbances due to an unforeseen manufacturing defect. As the dateline of availability has swept westward across the globe, large crowds of new iPhone5 owners have streamed into public squares to protest, such as in front of the Sydney Opera House, where the massive crowd is estimated to be at least 23 teenagers.

One new owner characterized the manufacturing flaw as "this goopy paint job they used on the black cases". He went on to explain that "mate, this crap just peels right off. I waited in line at the Apple store for 3 weeks for this, and I spent a huge amount of my parent's money on it, and now it's all ruined! Shame on Apple! I'll never buy another product from Apple!. Well, maybe the mini-iPad when that comes out, but no more after that! I promise!" He also said that he would return his new phone for a white model, even though "I heard the white one reduces your testosterone level, but I don't care! I'm a college student. I have plenty to spare!"

Psychologist Alan Turing, of the Australian Mental Health Society, said a number of new social ills have arisen because of this defect. "We have been seeing reports of a rapid increase in problems for these new owners within their social circles, including higher unpopularity rates, increased sniping from their BFFs, girlfriends just walking away from their boyfriends, and long-term sleeplessness. I have also seen first-hand where many people have been fired from their jobs when their employers saw their new silver-edged black iPhone5."

Membership has surged in the newly-formed support group for unhappy iPhone5 owners, called the Disaffected iPhone Society (DiPS). "We encourage people who are dissatisfied with their new iPhones to visit our website, GTFU.ORG, to share their tragic stories with others in the same unfortunate circumstance," said Harley Whinemeister, spokesman for DiPS.

Apple did not respond to requests for information for this article, but did say on their website that "Users will be entranced with the experience of using their iPhone5 in the wild. The special anodizing process has enabled a new world of puffery and bloviating for mobile devices. Remember, every scratch tells a story."

Further details on this pandemic will be made available as they become known.
lockerc18 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1459
iTalk
macrumors member

I cancelled my pre-order for the black and got a white at the local Verizon store. Too bad, because the black looks stunning
iTalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1460
bova80
macrumors 6502

here buy this http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ALUMINUM-BLACK

or this http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Supe.../dp/B0049Q5JX4
bova80 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1461
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I can see it now.

Lots of idiots that put their phone in their pocket with keys and coins, scratching their phone up all to hell, then running to the Apple store to return their phone and swearing up and down that it came that way.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1462
Takeo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by section215 View Post
everyone planning to return, are you going to ask for white models instead?
Yup. I was really torn anyway. I came very close to ordering white in the first place. Even thought about ordering both last week at 4am and returning one. Oh well.
Takeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1463
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Not a bad idea, but I think there will be enough that they will have to acknowledge the issue
That may be true. However, one might run into a stressed out customer service rep (or newbie), that could potentially make things harder than they need to be. The other side of the coin is, there will be people who will attempt to abuse the return system, (if this turns out to be wide-spread) by attempting to return phone(s) that were damaged by their own doing, in an attempt to get a new one. One may never need to use the video as backup. But, it is better to have it and not need it, than to ride the merry-go-round.

Just my newbie thoughts.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1464
WalterWright
macrumors newbie

I know I'm a newbie here, but browse often. Got my iPhone 5 at lunch, opened the box and the top is scuffed. I know it's not the end of the world, but, it's annoying at best. No stock left in Berlin apparently.

Pic evidence:

Will email Apple and hope for a fix. Got told I'd have to wait 4 weeks for a replacement by Deutsche Telekom - no thanks.
WalterWright is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1465
ap4lifetn
macrumors member

just received my phone

there is a scratch near the sleep button, obviously its scuffed and feels rough there right out of the box

on the left side, there is a white spot on the band on the side of the sim card slot, its not a scuff, but looks as if someone didn't paint it there.
ap4lifetn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1466
Ran7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I can see it now.
Lots of idiots that put their phone in their pocket with keys and coins, scratching their phone up all to hell, then running to the Apple store to return their phone and swearing up and down that it came that way.
So are you saying foxconn workers were carrying around the iphone 5s and damaged those sold as new with their keys? Nice try at belittling a serious issue which would be a cause for a claim with any pruduct.

people are talking about scratched phones IN THE BOX. My two blacks are both scratched in the box. If you think you would not have a valid claim if it were a car or a laptop you are wrong.

it is a serious issue.
Ran7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1467
bsmith4832
macrumors member

Just got my 64gb, flawless out of the box.

Not saying its going to stay like that even with glove-like handling. A week or two will tell, though I'm not getting my hopes too high.
bsmith4832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1468
mgb1120
macrumors 6502

Do you call apple for a claim? Or the store? My 32 gb arrived just now not sure to even open it because I don't want to pay another activation fee if I swap phones over and over? Or should I open it and use it for a couple weeks & see how it holds up?
mgb1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1469
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipn0tic View Post
Can you post a pic?
Right there on the corner and next to the antenna. The other odd-looking section around the lightening port is just the reflection.
jfrancis04 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1470
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancis04 View Post
Right there on the corner and next to the antenna. The other odd-looking section around the lightening port is just the reflection.
Personally, I can live with that. I just don't want an actual chunk missing. That is a paint nick
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1471
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Apple is selling the "iScuff Protection Kit" for only $29.95. I have my hands on an advanced copy of it. Here it is:

JRoDDz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1472
Cynthia Steffe
macrumors member

Seriously, though, would a sharpie not work?
Cynthia Steffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1473
Takeo
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised Jony Ive would let this go. The first thought I had when I saw the unveiling was... black anodized aluminum? That's going to scratch. Actually it wouldn't have been that bad without the chamfer... if the edge was rounded and bear blasted... but with that sharp polished edge it's completely unavoidable. A better option would have been black and silver but black windows in a silver back would look weird... or you could go with white windows in the back but that would be odd as well.
Takeo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1474
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

so what's everyone actually DOING about it?

Calling Apple?

Calling carrier?

Nothing?
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1475
bova80
macrumors 6502

i started a thread for this http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Supe.../dp/B0049Q5JX4
bova80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone