Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.22%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.92%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.65%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 330 13.21%
Voters: 2499. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:28 PM   #126
KPOM
macrumors G3

"Scuff-Gate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post
Any details or reviews relating to this topic or the fact that isn't true can be enter here.
One bit of advice. While I obviously have no direct evidence to confirm or refute the findings in the review about scuffing, I suggest that the "-gate" suffix got a bit old in, say, 1975 the first time someone thought they were being clever.

A phone that scuffs with use isn't exactly at the same level of seriousness as a president spying on his political rivals using illegal means.
KPOM is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:28 PM   #127
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
You can see sand on some of the pictures, maybe that and the wood table made the finish scratch off?
Even still, what will it look like in a few weeks/months in and out of your pocket?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:29 PM   #128
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a

MG Siegler tweeted to Arn that the scuffing was a non issue for him, and he kept the phone in his pocket a lot.

I suspect the reviewer may have had other things (coins/keys) in the pocket as well. I had scuffs/marks on my 4/4S due to the same things.

I also suspect (like Arn) that bumpers/side-protectors will be a hot selling item thanks to these concerns.
BrownManUPS is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:29 PM   #129
snook911
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I haven't decided on a case because I figured I wait a bit until some better ones are out yet.. invisible shield is good option to protect it. I can't imagine they didn't know this in testing unless this like the rMBP were most were good but there were a few bad displays mixed in.
I like the bumpers because they protect it without covering in up. Even when you set it down it keeps it just a little bit off whatever you set it down on to protect it.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:30 PM   #130
brayhite
macrumors 6502a

I think the real problem here is that thanks to Nixon, we have a suffix for every problem ever.

What if the office complex, instead of Watergate, was called Blueberry Office Complex.

Then this would be ScuffBerry, which sounds way better.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #131
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Is it the same surface treatment as the iPod Nano? Because I have the 6th gen of that and I toss that thing all over the place. It gets thrown in my purse with my car keys, I've dropped it a cabillion times, and there's not a scratch on it - still pink and lovely!
Mine's got scratches, but I don't actually begrudge it that. IT was from when my dog decided she wanted to play with another dog, almost jerked me off my feet, and her leash caught on the headphone cord and yanked my nano off and dragged it along the pavement. I had that nano for a week when that happened *sigh*. Before that I was loving to just look at it cause it was so unbelievable to me how small it was and then after that I couldn't anymore cause it bugged me too much to see those scratches. It still annoys me to a small extent (to the point that I have gotten over it but if I got a new one I'd be so happy to be rid of those scratches. I can't really afford a new one though and it works fine so I deal).

Other than that, it does actually have the edges worn but for anodized aluminum it has done pretty well and the edges aren't that noticeable except I just looked to see (and I've had it since almost the first 6th gen nano came out so it's pretty old).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #132
pittman87
macrumors regular

Am I missing something? I didn't read anywhere in that review where it said the back aluminum plate was scuffing, just the chamfered edges. Which based on the picture in the OP looks like it was banged against something. Take care of your investments people and you won't have to worry about these things.
pittman87 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #133
snook911
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusplay View Post
bumpers scratch the banding...didn't you use it on your 4 or 4s?
I did use a bumper on my 4S but I did not have any trouble with it scratching the banding.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:32 PM   #134
wutang61
macrumors regular

put it in a case. that simple. mines going into a defender. so i could care less.

BUT then noe one knowz you does hav ifone fiv. life is not worth living.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:33 PM   #135
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah239 View Post
Even still, what will it look like in a few weeks/months in and out of your pocket?
well, i use all my stuff in a case, with maximum zagg under the case, so I hopefully wont have an issue with it, but as for the sand, that is the only thing i can thing of that can easily scratch off anodizing finish.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #136
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
One bit of advice. While I obviously have no direct evidence to confirm or refute the findings in the review about scuffing, I suggest that the "-gate" suffix got a bit old in, say, 1975 the first time someone thought they were being clever.

A phone that scuffs with use isn't exactly at the same level of seriousness as a president spying on his political rivals using illegal means.
Thank you... I think you put in words why it annoys me so much people keep insisting on putting -gate after every apple "controversy" (I just couldn't quite put my finger on exactly why it peeves me so much). And I agree, it got old a lot longer than this, I just decided not to say it (I did and then erased it in my first reply).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #137
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
well, i use all my stuff in a case, with maximum zagg under the case, so I hopefully wont have an issue with it, but as for the sand, that is the only thing i can thing of that can easily scratch off anodizing finish.
Oh true, I NEVER use a case, unless I need waterproofing I use my lifeproof but that is it. It's always naked. That's why it concerns me.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #138
PBF
macrumors 68030

Quote:
lets hope just its one bad apple (per say)

I'm just looking for some more details on this to prove it is or isn't a real issue.
It's "per se".

By the way, I approve of the new term "scuffgate".
PBF is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:36 PM   #139
mateo124
macrumors regular

If they had only thrown a layer of gloss over it like the 6g nano... That would make it harder to scratch
mateo124 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #140
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

hey, if scuffing is the worst problem against this phone, i'll take it!
Fernandez21 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #141
SR71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
I can't ever get these things on right.
See if there is a kiosk for on at your local mall. My local mall has a Ghost Armor kiosk and they put it on perfectly. I plan on getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides).

Quote:
Originally Posted by penajmz View Post
InvisibleShield.
I prefer GhostArmor, but nonetheless, I will be doing this and getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides). Aluminum scuff issue = not a problem anymore.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #142
greytmom
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
Mine's got scratches, but I don't actually begrudge it that. IT was from when my dog decided she wanted to play with another dog, almost jerked me off my feet, and her leash caught on the headphone cord and yanked my nano off and dragged it along the pavement. I had that nano for a week when that happened *sigh*. Before that I was loving to just look at it cause it was so unbelievable to me how small it was and then after that I couldn't anymore cause it bugged me too much to see those scratches. It still annoys me to a small extent (to the point that I have gotten over it but if I got a new one I'd be so happy to be rid of those scratches. I can't really afford a new one though and it works fine so I deal).

Other than that, it does actually have the edges worn but for anodized aluminum it has done pretty well and the edges aren't that noticeable except I just looked to see (and I've had it since almost the first 6th gen nano came out so it's pretty old).
I got mine day 1 - thought it was too cute to pass up.

I just put on my reading glasses and found a tiny nick on one side... but no worn edges. I'm way more careful with my phone than I am with the Nano, so I think all will be well!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:39 PM   #143
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
It was bound to happen..... People just love finding these gate issues ever since the antenna FUD.
There's a certain comfort in denial that's very appealing to some.

Fortunately I'm not one of them.

As much as I like & prefer my Apple gear, I'm no shill for them
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:41 PM   #144
TheSlimOne
macrumors regular

Seems to me that if you treat something like its worth $600 it tends to stay looking sharp.

I guess I try and take care of the things that I pay for. I suppose I am unusual?
TheSlimOne is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:41 PM   #145
bdizzle
macrumors member

scuffgate solved

scuffgate solved

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
bdizzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:43 PM   #146
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 68000

Hit it with a sharpie or a can of Krylon flat black.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:43 PM   #147
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Is this a non-issue to me? I will be using a zagg full body and a case
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 PM   #148
greytmom
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
See if there is a kiosk for on at your local mall. My local mall has a Ghost Armor kiosk and they put it on perfectly. I plan on getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides).

I prefer GhostArmor, but nonetheless, I will be doing this and getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides). Aluminum scuff issue = not a problem anymore.
Excellent suggestion - thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 PM   #149
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
I highly doubt it "rubs" off...if you drop it or scratch it then yeah, I'm sure this may be true. Why not buy a $10 bumper to avoid these issues.
Because a $10 bumper is a tacky looking coverup.

It also kills the ergonomics.

Time will tell...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 PM   #150
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
There's a certain comfort in denial that's very appealing to some.

Fortunately I'm not one of them.

As much as I like & prefer my Apple gear, I'm no shill for them
My problem is with "antennagate", it was clearly shown that every phone displays signal loss when you cover the antenna. With the 4's antenna being external, it did make the loss worse. But, it wasn't an issue exclusive to the iPhone. There were even complaints of signal loss when the 3GS came out. The only reason why the 4's became such a huge deal was because of the focus on the new antenna design and Steve Jobs famous quote.

With the 4S, we had "yellowgate" which seems to come up every time a new iOS device comes out. iPad, iPhone, etc. "OMG Apple changed the tint to a warmer hue!!!!". Original to 3G, 3G to 3GS, 3GS to 4, and 4 to 4S have had people complain about yellow screens. Yet our eyes get use to the warmer hue and we can't tell anymore. Or the glue finally dried.

It's not about denial or Apple is perfect. Apple has had some quality issues( titanium powerbook G4 comes to mind), but this constant search for the new "gate" is ridiculous.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone