Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
The video looks like it is dyed throughout.

I prefer the black this time round but it could look really naff if it gets covered in silver scratches.*

I don't want a case and always look after my phones but occasional bumps are inevitable.*

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
No it will show silver. Anodizing does not go through metal its just a coating or a built up surface done by electrically charging particles. Taken with iphone 4. Hopefully my iphone 5 will take better macro :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
VFhAB.jpg

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
All Military M16's and M4's are anodized aluminum. When they are scratched or dinged, it is bare metal underneath.

Anodizing is only a few mils thick.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
buy a case :eek:

lol no idea hopefully it wont scratch easy
It always is funny how people brag about how thin a product is and then cover it with a case.

As for not scratching easy... based on Apples track record then you wont last an hour without a mystery scuff mark. :D

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Hard anodizing typically doesn't penetrate more than .1mm down, so any scratch deeper than that will show the raw aluminum color underneath.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I think Apple screwed up anodizing the bezel black and I prefer all black devices. And if I have to use a case to protect the black bezel from showing scratches, then what's the point. Not sure Apple was thinking clearly on this one, considering the iPhone is a device that gets used daily and doesn't just sit on a shelf.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
This is funny. I thought the exact same thing once I saw photos. I really prefer the look of the all black with black buttons. It's a shame it's just going to scratch and show metal. Apple should have thought or this! Almost makes me want to get the white now. Those scratches are really going to annoy me. Even a cover won't help.

The buttons will still be exposed! Grrr!

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Anodizing varies. Hopefully Apple will do a good job. I have several black anodized fly reels that have seen a lot of action, drops, etc., and have no exposed metal. I was leaning towards a white one, but wow, the black looks nice.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I think we should give Apple a little credit... I'm sure they thought about this when designing the iPhone 5. Hopefully it won't scratch.

kanesw

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Nottingham
This is disappointing. If it does indeed scratch there is also no easy swap in removing the back and replacing it with a new fresh unscathed back. :mad:

Will have to find an excuse to get it replaced at the Apple store free of charge ;)

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
It looks like it is raw aluminum under. If you watch the iPhone 5 promotional video around the 5 minute mark, you can see the silver flakes from the aluminum when they machine the bezel.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
With anodising, if you get scratches like on that iPod nano above, can you 'sand' down the rest so that the whole bezel goes all silver? Or is it physically impossible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.