Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:28 AM   #2026
Surf Monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dstorm View Post
If you get a perfect black iphone 5 out of the box, it will still have the problem after a few days of use
Really? And you know this... how? It's been less than 24 hours since it was released. Don't you think it's a bit rash to be throwing out statements like that? You don't know if this "problem" will appear on pristine phones in a few days or not. None of us do.

Grip up, people. The hysteria is getting really old.
Surf Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:49 AM   #2027
PHILIP1193
macrumors member

Thumbs up

Had a micro scuff on my chamfered edge of my phone. So the solution of using the tip of a black marker pen worked a treat . I know many on here will think that i should return it, but it will cost be 20 in train fares and its not to say a week later it wont happen again.

What we're all better doing is going back in 6-9months with our phones and then getting a new one that has hopefully had the manufacturing process refinded
PHILIP1193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:00 AM   #2028
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILIP1193 View Post
Had a micro scuff on my chamfered edge of my phone. So the solution of using the tip of a black marker pen worked a treat . I know many on here will think that i should return it, but it will cost be 20 in train fares and its not to say a week later it wont happen again.

What we're all better doing is going back in 6-9months with our phones and then getting a new one that has hopefully had the manufacturing process refinded
I might get brave one day if I sell mine or something rofl

You have to show us some pics man ya know that !
bobright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:04 AM   #2029
Stratus Fear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILIP1193 View Post

Agree. Mine came out of the box flawless and still got a tiny mark on the corner during the day (even though I'm careful with my stuff; 1yo 4S is flawless). It's gonna happen. Doesn't make me unhappy with the phone and not worth the hassle of a return

Good idea on the marker actually. I tried it on the small spot mine developed (making sure to wipe off excess) and the spot is barely noticeable. Works fine for my OCD!
Stratus Fear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:09 AM   #2030
elitecol
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post
You'd lose that bet.

Example: my first Mac was a Mac Plus 512ke. You?
Apple IIe with image writer printer and gross green monochrome screen, than original macintosh.
fast forward till now, 2011 imac 27" with extended keyboard etc, 2010 mac air, 2X apple tv's (ver 2 jailbroken, and a 3), 3 ipods (one in each car), new ipod nano on my wrist band everyday for podcast listening at work, old nano, 2 old 3g's lying around, a iphone 4, 2 iphone 5's, Ipad 2.. cant think of or see anyothers atm.
elitecol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:15 AM   #2031
PHILIP1193
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I might get brave one day if I sell mine or something rofl

You have to show us some pics man ya know that !
I'll try and take a pic but i'm not going to lie, i did it with the tip of a sharpe and the scuff was probably half a mm wide and the colour match is pretty good so im unsure if a camera will pick it up.
PHILIP1193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:22 AM   #2032
Baldilocks
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
Lol, they won't care about one little mans complaints. If you don't like it, fine. The ratio of those who do vs those who don't is so massive, you few bumps in the road won't affect them in the slightest.

Just saying...
Judging by this thread, 40% of you have scuffed phones. That's pretty substantial.....
Baldilocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2033
Drumsforjs
macrumors newbie

Idk If I should go get a white one now. I got mine threw sprint can I just walk to the apple store and ask for a replacement.?
Drumsforjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:45 AM   #2034
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

just trying to recreate how i handle my 4 in a normal day and my 4 is perfect still launch day. Ive picked up 3-4 more spots plus the 3 that came with it in the box. I also have light bleed on the top.
might be the first time in my life i go white on my next iphone. genius bar appointment tomorrow.
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:49 AM   #2035
nfl46
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullflower View Post
My experiences today were just plain awful.

Waited hours in line for my first iPhone launch, was pretty excited to pick up the sexy looking black iPhone. 20th in line or so, everything was pretty much smooth besides them running out of 16GB models instantly. Bought the 32GB, didn't care just wanted the phone! When the employee activated the phone and handed it to me I didn't notice anything off the bat- wasn't really expecting there to be an issue with it at all anyway. Hurried home, peeled off the stickers, plugged it into my computer to run a backup from data off my 4. Then I found this post on the front page of Reddit and was wondering what the ruckus was about. Read a few posts, feared the worst, looked at my phone and sure enough there was a pretty noticeable scuff mark at the top left. Then I inspected some more, they were on the bottom, near the antennae, on the sides, just awful, awful. My OCD was going off the charts and I didn't care how ridiculous I sounded, I paid this much for it, I want a flawless phone!

So I went back to Verizon and told the employees what was up, they had me wait like 30 minutes while they dealt with the massive amount of people coming in every minute to ask if they had any iPhone 5's left. Finally, they were ready to assist me, I pleaded my case, they spent about 10 minutes passing it around, handed it back to me and told me they couldn't do anything. Asked to see the manager and she accused me of dropping the phone and that I might have better luck returning it if I went to the Apple store. I was taken aback and she gave me a look as if I was trying to scam them out of getting a new phone after my own careless mistake or something- I did not feel like dealing with these Verizon employees and left after responding with "Don't you think there would've been more significant damage to the case had I dropped it?" they didn't care.

Called up Apple, again I pleaded my case and asked if they had been receiving any similar reports. They said no and told me I have 14 days to return it but I'd have to do it through Verizon. Go back to Verizon and told them I was told from a CR from Apple that I could return it here after they had just instructed me to go to Apple. They said that was fine but I'd have to pay some fees to return it. This was outrageous, I simply refused and left the store.

After people started posting more pictures and articles/blog posts were being made, I collected this on my phone and took it back to Verizon. I got to talk to a different employee this time and showed him everything about how I'm not the only one with this problem and that they'd likely get similar concerns from customers soon enough. The employee was in disbelief that I was returning it for just some scratch marks and made some comment about how it really wasn't that noticeable of an issue and that he'd have to talk to his manager for permission to return it. While he waited for his manager to respond, he took a look at the models on display and sure enough, there were scuff marks all along the edges on the two that were there. I didn't see the manager again but they gave him the go ahead to return my phone and I ordered a black 16GB one this time. Have to wait till Oct. 19 but oh well. Horrible day and a huge waste of time :/
Sorry to hear that, but why order another black when you will most likely have the same issue?
nfl46 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2036
Gooberton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan.tian View Post
Really disappointed
no one uses screen protectors any more. hahaha. looks way worse than any scratch
Gooberton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:35 AM   #2037
Baldilocks
macrumors member

Kinda looks like these things were mishandled from the factory. I bet Mr. Cook is steaming right now.....
Baldilocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:12 AM   #2038
Sermon
macrumors regular

I found this bit of news on a german Apple fan page. I don't know how reliable that website is and cannot confirm if this news tidbit is actually true, nor can I confirm its validity, but I thought I'd share it here nonetheless - this is a rough translation from german into english:

"When calling the Apple hotline I was told that the iPhone 5 devices with scuffs and scratches come from one specific batch and will be replaced by Apple. The problem is known to the company and apparently stems from a defective production machine. The affected devices can be identified based on their serial numbers, and only these faulty devices are eligible for return and exchange. As an alternative, a discount from the Apple hotline is offered. If you can live with the scratch or damage, this is a great way to save some money."

Link to the source (in german)
iPad3 WiFi + 4G, 64 GB, white

Last edited by Sermon; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Sermon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:14 AM   #2039
Monssef
macrumors member

Good reason they have to go back and start making apple products in the us. Oh! Wait! Apple is greedy and want to make billions with cheap labor. So it will never happen.
Monssef is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2040
Sermon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monssef View Post
Good reason they have to go back and start making apple products in the us. Oh! Wait! Apple is greedy and want to make billions with cheap labor. So it will never happen.
Well, if you HAVE to point a finger you'll have to do so at the whole industry. Apple's no worse or better than any other electronics company in that regard.
iPad3 WiFi + 4G, 64 GB, white
Sermon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:41 AM   #2041
Peligrozo
macrumors newbie

I just wish they had AppleCare+ in all countries.... I would be a lot less worried if I had AppleCare+
Peligrozo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:45 AM   #2042
blaizefm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monssef View Post
The same applies to every other tech company out there. Oh, and here's a newsflash: companies like making profit. Why people get so het up about this is completely beyond me.
blaizefm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2043
ProfoundTactics
macrumors member

Just got off a half hour phone call to Apple, in regards to my chipped iPhone. To be fair to them, their customer service is excellent. Just a shame their quality control wasn't on point this time.

They've arranged for a new iPhone to be sent out priority, and then I can just send back the old one at my leisure. Gotta love that.

Now here's to hoping the new one isn't defective!
ProfoundTactics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:21 AM   #2044
Cobalt`
macrumors newbie

So, after waiting for the UPS guy to deliver (arrived last minute!) and reading this scary thread.. My worries became a reality.

I have the same nicks on my new black iPhone 5 (64 GB). And not only that, a dead pixel on it too!

Called apple care and will get this replaced at the apple store (I hope they have stock then)... and if that replacement has one too, I'll just wait for an appropriate replacement by post or something.

Was not expecting anything like this on a massive scale first day.
Cobalt` is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:28 AM   #2045
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
That's an awesome watch. It doesn't look old enough so I'll just say that the only way it could be awesomer is if it had a radium dial / hands.
It's not mine, although I do have the exact same watch without the black coating.

iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2046
OatmealRocks
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmd View Post
Not sure if they will let you exchange for a different color, but they should certainly let you exchange it out for another black one. Anyone know for sure about exchange for different color?
AHh WHat a pain you are. Flip flopping back and forth which only adds to the delay for others waiting for the new iPhone. Why did you get this phone? I thought you were so sure the new iPhone will not have a new doc or have this design. How many times you call Apple or AT&T this time?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...3#post14933003

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5#post14945075
iPad 3 - 32GB, iPhone 4S, 16GB, iPod Nano 4GB, iTouch 8GB
OatmealRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2047
soos
macrumors newbie

Mine (64GB Black) arrived this morning from Orange (UK). It has a small scuff on the side and a small dent on the lower edge. It is interesting that the dent has the black anodised coating so it was there before the black coating went on. Poor quality control
soos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2048
TheDLade
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmd View Post
Not sure if they will let you exchange for a different color, but they should certainly let you exchange it out for another black one. Anyone know for sure about exchange for different color?
Yes they let you exchange for another colour, they have a really good customer service.
TheDLade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2049
dsquared81
macrumors 6502

I exchanged my black one (which had a nick on the edge) for a white one last night.
dsquared81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:41 AM   #2050
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post
Judging by this thread, 40% of you have scuffed phones. That's pretty substantial.....
I'd like to know if they are scuffs or 'normal'.
mpossoff is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone