Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:40 PM   #76
terrible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahjo View Post
Do you know if that extends to Vantucky, as well? Can you link somewhere with this info, or did you just see it show up on your iPad?

EDIT: Looked up a couple of posts and saw the press release.
Yep, extends into Vantucky (lol) as well. In fact, it covers most of the Portland metro area from Vancouver to the north to at least Tualatin in the south and west to Hillsboro. Have yet to test how far east it extends.
terrible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:41 PM   #77
thehopscotch
macrumors regular

I called AT&T this morning to see when they were planning to add coverage for Huntsville, AL (since they just added Birmingham yesterday). I'm pretty sure I got the most incompetent CSR possible.

I asked if they had a timeframe for when LTE would be switched on in Huntsville, AL...he responded, "LTE??"...I said, "you know...REAL 4G LTE...not HSPA+"...his response..."umm...where?"...I repeated "Huntsville, Alabama"...he asked if I could say what state again...repeated Alabama AGAIN...then he left me on hold for about 5 minutes. He came back and said "it should be on by the end of 2012"

Something tells me I can't trust him based on how clueless he seemed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping ship to Verizon. Not only do they already have a very broad LTE network in northern Alabama (and throughout Alabama), but they also have better coverage in Huntsville without the dead spots that I've seen with AT&T. Then again, I may be cursing Verizon in a few months. We'll see! Too bad there is no perfect carrier!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:47 PM   #78
ajones46
macrumors 6502

Anyone care to explain the new Verizon commercials I've been seeing, where they tout having more 4G than any of the other carriers combined, and then on AT&T's 4G page, they're stating that theirs is the largest? Hmm.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:53 PM   #79
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones46 View Post
Anyone care to explain the new Verizon commercials I've been seeing, where they tout having more 4G than any of the other carriers combined, and then on AT&T's 4G page, they're stating that theirs is the largest? Hmm.
VZW has the most LTE. AT&T has the most "faux"G. Looks like they are closing the gap rapidly, but it's a big gap.

Anyone in Detroit with an LTE iPad know where it reaches? Interested in the M59 corridor. This wait for Friday is getting harder and harder.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:09 PM   #80
engelke2010
macrumors 6502a

I may have missed a post on this, but LTE is Live in Portland, Oregon now!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/a...n-more-cities/

What great timing! WTG, AT&T!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:05 PM   #81
Nino313
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post
VZW has the most LTE. AT&T has the most "faux"G. Looks like they are closing the gap rapidly, but it's a big gap.

Anyone in Detroit with an LTE iPad know where it reaches? Interested in the M59 corridor. This wait for Friday is getting harder and harder.
Had a friend test it out on his one x and we got 20 down and 16 up near M-59 and opdyke
Nino313 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:14 PM   #82
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino313 View Post
Had a friend test it out on his one x and we got 20 down and 16 up near M-59 and opdyke
Thanks. That's pretty close to my office, though I'm a bit north of that. Good to hear it's along M59 though.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #83
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

So I know AT&T has far less coverage than Verizon in terms of LTE, but does anybody know how the speed of each network compares? I know AT&T 3G/HSPA+ is faster than Verizon's, but what about LTE? I don't know if they are all created equal or if there is some speed differences between each network.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #84
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
So I know AT&T has far less coverage than Verizon in terms of LTE, but does anybody know how the speed of each network compares? I know AT&T 3G/HSPA+ is faster than Verizon's, but what about LTE? I don't know if they are all created equal or if there is some speed differences between each network.
att is going to be faster because no one is on it yet. Verizon has many more LTE devices already on their network. But ATT will be faster overall for a bit till the devices start to gobble up the bandwidth
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #85
CH34P3T
macrumors regular

YESSS! Finally LTE has been turned on in The Rose City!!
CH34P3T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #86
lavrishevo
macrumors 68000

It's funny, even Puerto Rico has had LTE on AT&T for a while now.
lavrishevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #87
auero
macrumors 65816

I almost jumped to Verizon but had a friend travel with me around. I found all the places that Verizon claimed to have LTE were actually slow. I never saw him break 7-8 Mbps. In the areas of no LTE, AT&T was faster. For what it's worth, I read that the places AT&T DOES have LTE, it's faster.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #88
redman042
macrumors 65816

I always wondered if AT&T would turn on a whole bunch of LTE right around the iPhone 5 launch just to grab some media attention, and it seems they have. I'm hearing about LTE activations all over: Seattle, Portland, Pittsburg, Sacramento (my area), Honolulu, the list goes on...

Interesting, and nice to see!
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #89
aldila
macrumors newbie

LTE is a go in Hawaii. I live about 20 miles outside of Honolulu and can confirm LTE works via my sisters Samsung S3. I can't wait till this Friday to try it on the iPhone 5.
aldila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #90
BDoggPrelude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Wish they would get it going here in Denver. Sounds like EOY...
From what I've seen, AT&T reps are telling people Denver is going to get LTE on 11/11/12. Funny thing about that is that I'll be in Phoenix for a wedding and will be enjoying LTE on my iPhone 5 for the first time since they already have it there. Still baffles me at some of the cities that got LTE before Denver. Wichita? Really AT&T?
BDoggPrelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:16 PM   #91
iLoveMyApple
macrumors 6502a

I haven't been able to get LTE in the Inland Empire in Southern California. I have to go an hour away to LA. I was actually able to get LTE in Irvine, which is less than an hour away. I wish they'd expand it so I could get it where I live in Riverside.
iLoveMyApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:16 PM   #92
nws0291
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude View Post
From what I've seen, AT&T reps are telling people Denver is going to get LTE on 11/11/12. Funny thing about that is that I'll be in Phoenix for a wedding and will be enjoying LTE on my iPhone 5 for the first time since they already have it there. Still baffles me at some of the cities that got LTE before Denver. Wichita? Really AT&T?
Some areas there is a better existing infrastructure in place to get towers up faster and cheaper. Google fiber is going in Wichita area too.
nws0291 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:18 PM   #93
dwburnell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude View Post
It might be sooner but not very wide spread. I called the other day about my upgrade eligability and asked about LTE. The rep said they are finishing up construction on 3 towers in the next week or 2 and should have the entire Denver/Boulder area activated by year end.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:23 PM   #94
mixstar336
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorB View Post
the Twin Cities is scheduled "by end of 2012." I am pleasantly surprised to hear that other cities on that list are being turned on this soon, not something I would expect from AT&T.
my association signed a deal with ATT to have them install wireless on our roof - they were working on it earlier this week. Hopefully it is sooner than the end of the year....
mixstar336 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:42 PM   #95
zephxiii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
ATT's HSPA(+) has on average been faster than vzw or sprint's EVDO. you can compare results by searching pcworld or pcmag (cant remember which) fastest mobile networks 2012 to get an idea.....which showed lolSprint's EVDO to be absolutely abysmal.

On ATT I once hit 13.9mbit on my atrix 2. I have seen a lot of results between 4-8mbit...in my area it mostly depends on signal quality.
zephxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #96
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldila View Post
LTE is a go in Hawaii. I live about 20 miles outside of Honolulu and can confirm LTE works via my sisters Samsung S3. I can't wait till this Friday to try it on the iPhone 5.
How fast were the DL/UL speeds?
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:55 PM   #97
mr1581
macrumors regular

email just popped in my inbox that it's now available in Philly-Wilmington Area
mr1581 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:20 PM   #98
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCinci View Post
Sweet...Cincinnati was announced as coming soon on 9/6 along with a bunch of other cities that just went live so hopefully it will kick on by the weekend.
Cincinnati's LTE has been on for about a week.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:26 PM   #99
ScubaCinci
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
Cincinnati's LTE has been on for about a week.
Not according to AT&T - their map and their news releases (last for Cinci was Sep 6th saying by EOY). I don't have an AT&T LTE device yet to check. I hope you are right!

Last edited by ScubaCinci; Sep 19, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
ScubaCinci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:53 PM   #100
FzNk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelke2010 View Post
I posted this in the Seattle thread, but Portland is supposed to get LTE by the end of this month if the AT&T retail worker I spoke with today is to be believed.
The Oregonian is reporting that AT&T has turned on LTE in Portland, sweet!
FzNk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone