Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #101
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Knight- View Post
Is Miami or South FL in general in the mix?
What do you mean, it's been there for a while I thought?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:13 PM   #102
tworth23
macrumors member

Long Island, New York?

Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard when AT&T is going to light up Long Island, New York area? I know they have in 5 boroughs of NYC and heard they will complete by end of year but we were not on AT&T list for by end of 2012.
tworth23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:15 PM   #103
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I'm just sad that Oklahoma City, OK gets the LTE love but Tulsa, OK (where I live and spend most of my time) doesn't yet. It just says it's one of the cities to be added soon.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:04 PM   #104
-Knight-
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
What do you mean, it's been there for a while I thought?
I didn't know, I have the iPhone 4 right now on 3G so I never paid attention about LTE. Looks like it's been available for a few months or so in south florida lol.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 PM   #105
PharmDoc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveMyApple View Post
I haven't been able to get LTE in the Inland Empire in Southern California. I have to go an hour away to LA. I was actually able to get LTE in Irvine, which is less than an hour away. I wish they'd expand it so I could get it where I live in Riverside.
Yea, I feel your pain. I live in Irvine but work in the IE so it's irritating that it hasn't been turned on there yet. Its nice to have LTE where I live but I'm on wifi at home so it doesn't make much of a difference. I'm surprised that AT&T enabled areas like Bakersfield before the IE.
PharmDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:48 PM   #106
iLoveMyApple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmDoc View Post
Yea, I feel your pain. I live in Irvine but work in the IE so it's irritating that it hasn't been turned on there yet. Its nice to have LTE where I live but I'm on wifi at home so it doesn't make much of a difference. I'm surprised that AT&T enabled areas like Bakersfield before the IE.
Bakersfield has LTE?!
iLoveMyApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:49 AM   #107
PharmDoc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveMyApple View Post
Bakersfield has LTE?!
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...works|wireless

Yup... I wouldn't lie at this hour.
PharmDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #108
pear21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post
So far today I've seen threads for Birmingham, AL, Seattle and Philly. Any other places they threw the switch today? They are obviously making a big push to get as many places on for the new iPhone as they can. Hoping Detroit is on by Friday too.
I was using the s3 today and I was,in Dearborn and I had lte so it is coming to the metro Detroit area
pear21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:02 AM   #109
XFactorer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH34P3T View Post
YESSS! Finally LTE has been turned on in The Rose City!!
I need it in Eugene!
XFactorer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:25 AM   #110
CH34P3T
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFactorer View Post
I need it in Eugene!
Hang in there buddy!
CH34P3T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:59 AM   #111
JSUDaniel
macrumors member

AT&T LTE - H'ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehopscotch View Post
I called AT&T this morning to see when they were planning to add coverage for Huntsville, AL (since they just added Birmingham yesterday). I'm pretty sure I got the most incompetent CSR possible.

I asked if they had a timeframe for when LTE would be switched on in Huntsville, AL...he responded, "LTE??"...I said, "you know...REAL 4G LTE...not HSPA+"...his response..."umm...where?"...I repeated "Huntsville, Alabama"...he asked if I could say what state again...repeated Alabama AGAIN...then he left me on hold for about 5 minutes. He came back and said "it should be on by the end of 2012"

Something tells me I can't trust him based on how clueless he seemed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping ship to Verizon. Not only do they already have a very broad LTE network in northern Alabama (and throughout Alabama), but they also have better coverage in Huntsville without the dead spots that I've seen with AT&T. Then again, I may be cursing Verizon in a few months. We'll see! Too bad there is no perfect carrier!
I live here in Huntsville too. I was very close to switching, but decided to cling on to my unlimited data plan. Next fall may be a different story if we don't have LTE...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:36 AM   #112
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCinci View Post
Not according to AT&T - their map and their news releases (last for Cinci was Sep 6th saying by EOY). I don't have an AT&T LTE device yet to check. I hope you are right!
Yeah, AT&T hasn't made a peep about it, but do a search on Twitter for Cincinnati LTE and about a week ago, people started mentioning that their LTE service was on. A friend of mine on there did some speed tests with his iPad, and they were just ok. I was thinking maybe they were just testing it, but it's been on the whole week and the coverage at least goes as far south as Cold Spring, KY (where I work) since my coworker has an AT&T LTE Windows phone and was able to get LTE signal there. I'm not sure why AT&T has made no mention yet.

EDIT: Looks like Yahoo has a story on it, but I still can't find the AT&T press release: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-4g-l...040000560.html
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:02 AM   #113
thehopscotch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUDaniel View Post
I live here in Huntsville too. I was very close to switching, but decided to cling on to my unlimited data plan. Next fall may be a different story if we don't have LTE...
Great to see another Huntsvillian on here! I really hate to give up the unlimited data, but it annoys me the dead spots around Whitesburg Drive near the AT&T store/Publix/Chick-fil-a area, as well as the dead spot over in the area near Huntsville Hospital. It isn't something that is just urgent that I need service over there, but I don't get why the service right outside their AT&T store would be so horrible! Makes no sense!

I'll be trying out Verizon as of Friday as a test using a new phone # (not committing to it yet). I can keep you posted on how well it works in comparison. I'm not cancelling my AT&T number until I see how Verizon performs in the areas I frequent. I do find it interesting that the "cellreception" website ranks Verizon highest and that AT&T is in last place (even behind Sprint, T-Mobile, and Nextel)! Shocking!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:18 AM   #114
ScubaCinci
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
Yeah, AT&T hasn't made a peep about it, but do a search on Twitter for Cincinnati LTE and about a week ago, people started mentioning that their LTE service was on. A friend of mine on there did some speed tests with his iPad, and they were just ok. I was thinking maybe they were just testing it, but it's been on the whole week and the coverage at least goes as far south as Cold Spring, KY (where I work) since my coworker has an AT&T LTE Windows phone and was able to get LTE signal there. I'm not sure why AT&T has made no mention yet.

EDIT: Looks like Yahoo has a story on it, but I still can't find the AT&T press release: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-4g-l...040000560.html
Cool. Maybe it's just not fully up and running. Can't wait to see if it reaches my house (Colerain Twp) tomorrow.

EDIT - just check AT&T's site and they made the announcement today - http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...works|wireless

Last edited by ScubaCinci; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
ScubaCinci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:32 AM   #115
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Cool. Maybe it's just not fully up and running. Can't wait to see if it reaches my house (Colerain Twp) tomorrow.

EDIT - just check AT&T's site and they made the announcement today - http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...works|wireless
Do you mind testing it for me when you have time?
I'm curious to the speed we have here in town.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:50 PM   #116
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
A friend of mine was getting 14Mb down and 6Mb up. Someone else on twitter said they were getting 20Mb down and 8Mb up.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:51 PM   #117
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
A friend of mine was getting 14Mb down and 6Mb up. Someone else on twitter said they were getting 20Mb down and 8Mb up.
That's not bad.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #118
jammybastard
macrumors member

Meanwhile at the State Capitol in WI you get 3G/3.5G (aka 4G), and no LTE.
Go 10 miles from downton and you are on Edge.

Remind me why I'm still on AT&T?
Oh yeah, "unlimited" data.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #119
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak3D View Post
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma
oh damn tacoma has it?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:30 PM   #120
ScubaCinci
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapplegate View Post
I'll give it a try. However, AT&T service at my house sucks in general and I'm recovering from surgery on my Achilles so I can't walk/drive anywhere It'll prolly be the weekend before I get out and about.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:41 PM   #121
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I'll give it a try. However, AT&T service at my house sucks in general and I'm recovering from surgery on my Achilles so I can't walk/drive anywhere It'll prolly be the weekend before I get out and about.
Oh get better. No rush, I was just curious to hear real world results from someone in the area not PR talk.

SheepNutz posted some good numbers:
Quote:
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:45 PM   #122
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Portland, OR went Live for LTE.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:49 PM   #123
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

Hoping Knoxville, TN gets it sooner rather than later... We are on the list for 2012.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:07 AM   #124
ScubaCinci
macrumors 6502a

Well, not good...at least at my house. Again, I barely have a signal here so I'm sure that impacts the result significantly.

4.41Mb/s down and 1.64Mb/s up.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:11 AM   #125
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Well, not good...at least at my house. Again, I barely have a signal here so I'm sure that impacts the result significantly.

4.41Mb/s down and 1.64Mb/s up.
I hope that's the problem. I can't test until May 8, 2013. Damn me buying a 4S

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone