Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
So far today I've seen threads for Birmingham, AL, Seattle and Philly. Any other places they threw the switch today? They are obviously making a big push to get as many places on for the new iPhone as they can. Hoping Detroit is on by Friday too. :)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Found this on their webpage. Pretty big push in the last week:

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Birmingham
- Birmingham, Alabama -- September 18 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Memphis
- Memphis, Tennessee -- September 18 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Sacramento
- Sacramento, California -- September 17 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Wilmington
- Wilmington, Delaware -- September 14 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Philadelphia
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- September 14 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Rochester
- Rochester, New York -- September 12 2012

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Albany
- Albany, New York -- September 12 2012

Edit: 5 of those were on their list from 9/6 of "by the end of 2012." They also threw on several others on 9/6. Bravo to them for making a big push. A little late, but at least they are showing they are working on it.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So far today I've seen threads for Birmingham, AL, Seattle and Philly. Any other places they threw the switch today? They are obviously making a big push to get as many places on for the new iPhone as they can. Hoping Detroit is on by Friday too. :)

Whoa, they threw the switch on Seattle? Cool... course I'm still not sure that will benefit me. Technically I'm just north of Seattle so if it's just in the city I'm probably only going to get to experience it sometimes (I don't go into the city that much). Still, it means more chance I'll at least get a chance to see how good it is (at least before I visit my parents in Atlanta cause it appears their map says Atlanta has LTE now).

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Come on Detroit!!!!!! Hopefully the rumors are true about a September 19th LTE date.

Beard faced

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I might not have switched if I knew they planned on having LTE in my Area in the near future. The only thing I really hated about ATT is how quickly the data signal would get clogged. Huge mistake not making some sort of formal announcement on that issue.

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
the Twin Cities is scheduled "by end of 2012." I am pleasantly surprised to hear that other cities on that list are being turned on this soon, not something I would expect from AT&T.

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I just want to know how far the coverage extends. I'm in a suburb directly outside of Chicago, maybe like 40 mins away from the heart of the city (with light traffic), should I have LTE signal?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma

Cool. It's too bad Everett is not in that mix (it's where I work and where I probably use my iPhone the most... when I'm on break).

Still, that's pretty good coverage (and covers where I live though at home I have wi-fi ;) ) and maybe it will creep to Everett eventually.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
I'm hoping for a Detroit greenlight in the next few days as well. Those are my old stomping grounds and I'm gonna be back in town in a couple weeks, hopefully with an iPhone 5 that'll take advantage of it.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I posted this in the Seattle thread, but Portland is supposed to get LTE by the end of this month if the AT&T retail worker I spoke with today is to be believed.

remlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I just want to know how far the coverage extends. I'm in a suburb directly outside of Chicago, maybe like 40 mins away from the heart of the city (with light traffic), should I have LTE signal?

I'm about an hour NW of Chicago and lte just misses my house by 5 or so miles. That being said, LTE is all over lake county (Ill) and throughout Chicagoland. Do a google search for att coverage map and you'll see their LTE area.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Cool. It's too bad Everett is not in that mix (it's where I work and where I probably use my iPhone the most... when I'm on break).

Still, that's pretty good coverage (and covers where I live though at home I have wi-fi ;) ) and maybe it will creep to Everett eventually.

I go to Bremerton/Bangor a lot. Are any of those cities close to the ones that have activated, so that they might be able to get the signal from one of those cities, even though they aren't specifically listed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.