Battlefield Fan
Banned

I want a dock. Gimme
Battlefield Fan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:18 PM   #27
RaMaz07
macrumors member

Thumbs down

Dammit!!! I really wanted a dock!!! an Apple one! Because it has no logos or messages on it.
iPhone 5 CDMA, 64 GB, iPad 2 CDMA, 64 GB.
RaMaz07 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 PM   #28
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

How am I going to prop up my iPhone 5 when it goes into my Apple museum next to my old iPhones after it's retired?

Seriously, this is disappointing. I have a dock for my original iPhone and my iPhone 4. I was planning on getting one for my iPhone 5 but I guess that isn't going to happen.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #29
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

My Elevation Dock is about to become useless, and even if they eventually release a new connector I can upgrade to that features a Lightning port, the chance that it will also have a DA chip so I can use the line-level audio out seems... slight.

Oh well, on to a new dock or something. I guess my brother will get the Elevation Dock along with the 4S he's getting as a hand-me-down.
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:33 PM   #30
pletopia
macrumors newbie

boooo .. i like my simple dock, and yes phil, i use it as a clock .. but not a clock dock but a simple dock with an app :-/
pletopia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #31
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMaz07 View Post
Dammit!!! I really wanted a dock!!! an Apple one! Because it has no logos or messages on it.
Very much true. I don't like a dock with Philips or Logitech on it, along with Xtreme something, Omni this and that which essentially meaningless, feels like an ad on a paid product. Like WTF
iSayuSay is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:51 PM   #32
nfl46
macrumors 601

I guess we aren't getting bumpers either. I would have thought that they would be on the website by now. :-(
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:02 AM   #33
Namjins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
So I can enjoy it more than a week before putting a big scratch on it and hating myself immensely.
I like the zagg shields. Keeps it minimal but let's me breathe a bit easier.
Namjins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:07 AM   #34
Sol
macrumors 65832

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
We are transitioning into a post-connector world and this is just a baby step in that direction. Everything is going wireless. At some point Apple could remove headphone ports altogether and rely solely on BlueTooth or some induction system.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 AM   #35
camman564
macrumors newbie

He is right. Everyone I know as an iHome accessory of some sort....

But I still use my dock ... Time to embrace change I guess.
camman564 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:16 AM   #36
Critterbug
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Critterbug
Exclamation

This is Apple's Plan to sell Apple TV's. Eventually all the accessories we bought to keep from having to purchase their evil Apple Box will be outmoded. All the docks, speaker systems, stereo systems, FRONT ROW, etc...the 30 pin has gone the way of the dinosaur.
This Lightning Connector is the Proof. Our Brand Loyalty - poof! - out the window.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:21 AM   #37
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I think Apple realized that docks and bumpers are best left to accessory makers, while they can focus on the big picture.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:24 AM   #38
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

They probably found that the lightning connector wasn't quite strong enough to reliably support the phone, it's a lot narrower than the old connector.
Mike Oxard is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:29 AM   #39
iSamurai
macrumors 65816

I really hope those $5 generic docs will pop up on eBay soon... I dock my iPhone every night to charge so it would be a great accessory to have. I noticed the iPhone "hands on" session after the presentation had them docked on a pane of acrylic glass instead of a normal dock.

As for the bumper, to date I still think they're made for the "antennagate" saga back with the iPhone 4 as apple was likely to know about it beforehand. But there's a few for iPhone 5 on eBay now anyway.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:39 AM   #40
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Hellloooo Kickstarter!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
We are transitioning into a post-connector world and this is just a baby step in that direction. Everything is going wireless. At some point Apple could remove headphone ports altogether and rely solely on BlueTooth or some induction system.
Agree. The current Lightning-to-USB connector might last 5 years or so, until Thunderbolt becomes 1. cheaper and 2. optical (with maybe some copper left in for power / charging.)
SockRolid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:44 AM   #41
taxiapple
macrumors regular

I love my dock

I have three of them, one on my office desk, one on my bedside table and another in the kitchen. They are used everyday

I'm not to worried, I'm sure there will be some aftermarket ones, but an Apple manufactured dock would presumably be better and more elegent
taxiapple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:13 AM   #42
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I think Apple realized that docks and bumpers are best left to accessory makers, while they can focus on the big picture.
Exactly; most people that buy docks and cases don't buy Apple branded ones. They likely weren't seeing the profits in them anymore.

Also I wonder a little about the sturdiness of a taller phone being held up by a smaller connector.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:31 AM   #43
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Almost 3 years with my iPhone and I never bought a dock for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Gross. Why would you want to cover something so beautiful, thin, light, and durable? Enjoy your iPhone
It is ironic Apple spends millions developing the case only for most of us to use a cheap plastic cover which makes it thicker, heavier and wrecks the look.

I think this time I'll get a screen cover and belt case but might skip the plastic case, but I really need to see it first, can't wait for Friday!
Lancer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:01 AM   #44
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Exactly; most people that buy docks and cases don't buy Apple branded ones. They likely weren't seeing the profits in them anymore.

Also I wonder a little about the sturdiness of a taller phone being held up by a smaller connector.
The docks will probably need some type of back or lateral support to take stress off the smaller connector.

And I do agree that the profits were probably slim pickins and not worth the logistical or fabircation effort.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:02 AM   #45
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I think this time I'll get a screen cover and belt case but might skip the plastic case, but I really need to see it first, can't wait for Friday!
Me too. I'll need to see how it feels in my hand before deciding on whether to get a case or not. The 4th gen touch, for instance, felt too thin to get a secure grip without a case.

As for the dock, I've never used one with either an iPod or iPhone -- I always just end up hooking it up with the cable for syncing/charging. The dock always felt clumsy and like it would just clutter up any surface it might sit on.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:31 AM   #46
matrix07
macrumors 65816

It might be too small to hold the phone securely.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:37 AM   #47
thechungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
They probably found that the lightning connector wasn't quite strong enough to reliably support the phone, it's a lot narrower than the old connector.
I would say give the dock a back to support it, like how the iPad dock works. The iPad dwarfs the dock connector in comparison, in the same way the new iPhone dwarfs the Lightning connector.
thechungster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:59 AM   #48
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a

I've bought a dock for every iPhone so far.
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:04 AM   #49
remmy123
macrumors member

Guys, I wouldnt get too bent out of shape over it. The aftermarket will take care of this problem.

I too would like a dock as well though. I have a serisouly high powered hi-fi system at the country house and I use the dock as the only audio source for it (I use a 2 channel pre amp made by Pro-Ject audio). For now I can just pull the 3.5mm jack out the back of the dock to get me by.
remmy123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:11 AM   #50
Porco
macrumors 68000

#I'm sittin' on the dock of the Phone
Watching the profits roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the Phone
Wastin' sales opportunities….

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion