Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:06 PM   #101
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

Wow...this is lame. I was planning on buying at least 2 docks...one for my living room, one for my bedroom for my iPods. I actually was planning on buying maybe a Sony dock/radio thingee for the kitchen, so I could slip it in and listen, but I don't have the space or need for that in my bedroom (because my computer's there and I can just listen to podcasts through it).
Wolfpup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #102
bearda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I think the problem with designing a dock is getting it to work with whatever case or bumper or whatnot people put on their phones.
+1. Last time around Apple couldn't make a dock that worked with their own bumper case. I've got a wedge on my desk I use to hold my iPhone now, but I would have bought the dock if it worked with the bumper.
bearda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #103
janstett
macrumors 65816

How long will it take somebody to make a car cradle with a 30 pin input and lightning in the cradle?

How am I supposed to charge my phone now sans-dock? That's how I do it at work and at home.

Maybe this is an admission that the lightning connector is too weak to prop up the phone.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:20 PM   #104
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge125 View Post
How about to protect your $650 dollar phone when it falls out of your pocket. Besides, reviews have already reported the black coming off of the outer aluminum edge. A simple bumper would address this and preserve the beautiful design.
Preserve the beautiful design? More like covering or hiding the beautiful design.
Roy Hobbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 PM   #105
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge125 View Post
How about to protect your $650 dollar phone when it falls out of your pocket. Besides, reviews have already reported the black coming off of the outer aluminum edge. A simple bumper would address this and preserve the beautiful design.
If I can't see the phone because I have to cover it with a thick heavy bumper then it defeats the purpose of what makes the iphone so great. I have had 3 iphones and not once have I bought a cover, true over time I have gotten some micro scratches but still worth it considering I get to see the beauty of its construction first hand. Apple does not need to make a base there will be 50 companies doing that soon enough.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:49 PM   #106
IconicM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
Preserve the beautiful design? More like covering or hiding the beautiful design.
I hope the back will be easily removed so that you can touch it up or even paint it a different color if you like.
IconicM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:49 PM   #107
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstett View Post
How long will it take somebody to make a car cradle with a 30 pin input and lightning in the cradle?
The problem is, now that many car companies like BMW finally built integrated iPod Display functionality for the 30-pin connectors, they'll probably be hesitant to start over with the Lightning connectors and they aren't likely to build in both standards (or it will take years).

Quote:
How am I supposed to charge my phone now sans-dock? That's how I do it at work and at home.
Now that Apple is ceding the market for a dock, I predict there will be 3rd party docks galore.

In the mean time, plug the Lightning connector into the phone and the USB A connector to the charger and you're good to go. But, yes, it doesn't look as secksy as a docked charger system.

Quote:
Maybe this is an admission that the lightning connector is too weak to prop up the phone.
I haven't seen an iPhone 5 up close and personal yet, but the Lightning connector/socket looks far stronger than the weak 30-pin connectors (that I've broken several of over the years). Not to mention the cord that got pulled through the strain relief when unplugging the 30-pin cable from my iPad in the Otter case.

I expect this to be a net gain, despite the pain that we'll all frankly have to live with during the transition.

My two centavos.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:59 PM   #108
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconicM View Post
I hope the back will be easily removed so that you can touch it up or even paint it a different color if you like.
Isn't the back part of the one piece case, along with the sides:

Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:18 PM   #109
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
This is really disappointing. I dock my 4S (as I have every iPhone) next to my bed as it IS my alarm clock. My cable box across the room is my clock for quick glances.
I'm sure it will be all of 30 days, if not less, before plenty of third-party docks will flood the market — and probably far cheaper than Apple's version would have been.
curmudgeon32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:25 PM   #110
IconicM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Isn't the back part of the one piece case, along with the sides:

I don't know, i haven't seen any teardown pictures. From what you show, it looks like you're right, it looks very integrated.
IconicM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:32 PM   #111
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Argh! I use the dock so I don't need a clock!

This is where Apples secrecy starts to become a pain in the ass. I understand needing to keep the outer shell dimensions quiet since the bigger screen was theo big selling point here, but if they had at least pre-announced the new connector specs, at least some accessory makers would be halfway through design by now.

Having to wait six months for the peripheral ecosystem to catch up to a product with a one year half-life doesn't seem like the right idea....
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:01 PM   #112
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

I want an Apple made dock.
Blaine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:51 PM   #113
artuuur
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Gross. Why would you want to cover something so beautiful, thin, light, and durable? Enjoy your iPhone
Why? Because using your iPhone without a case is like havin unprotected sex: feels great but it's just too risky…
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:29 PM   #114
finnns2000
macrumors regular

Bogus. The best setup I remember is the OG iPhone on a dock, or an iPod Classic on a dock with remote. Going backwards.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:38 PM   #115
Pompiliu
Banned

What??
I always used a dock with my iPhones/iPods/iPads.
Pompiliu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:51 PM   #116
Major.Robto
macrumors 6502

The only apple product I can think That i've owned the longest is my Dock.

Its had 5 different ipods with it. 4 computers and countless speakers and tv's that have been hooked up with it.

It's sad to see it go.

Its a nice little thing.

I just use mine for charging my ipod. Theres no free usb on my stupid imac.
So I need to use a usb charger.
I like it because I just always put my ipod in it, when I get home and when I leave again its always charged, I wish more devices had docks.

Also Could you not buy a ipad dock and then use the lighting bolt conector with it? I would think it would work because the ipad dock is bigger and can hold the iphone up properly.
Major.Robto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:17 AM   #117
Topfry
macrumors newbie

There are some problems designing a dock for this phone - not insurmountable - it's longer with a smaller connector, so much more leverage on the connector, and easier to break. Probably best lying on its back, which at least for me would have given apple a good reason to introduce an inductive charging pad. Perhaps a 5s or 6 feature...
Topfry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:35 AM   #118
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlcopy View Post
You use this word "durable" but I'm not certain you know what it means...
You were saying??
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:51 PM   #119
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
I've had an iPhone since the very first Launch Day back in 2007 and I've had a dock for each, too......have docks for the iPods, docks for the iPad..... Learning that there was likely not to be a dock for this new iPhone 5 was upsetting. But now that I actually have the iPhone 5 and its new connecting cable, I'm finding that popping the thing in-and-out is quick and easy, not the hassle that the old connectors were, and that I can stick the iPhone in a business card stand and that works just fine for keeping it off its back. I also rediscovered an old leather Vaja case that I had for the first iPhone; it fits the new one surprisingly well and no problem if I do want to set the phone down flat; it can still be quickly and easily connected/disconnected from the charging cable without removing the case (with the dock I had to remove any case I had).

In reflecting on this I can guess at Apple's reasoning, too, that since we now have wireless OTA sync for our devices and don't need to be plugged into the computer and iTunes in order to sync, people are less likely to need two or three docks. However....yes, we will all need at least one extra charging cable and so Apple better get to producing loads of those in a hurry!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:51 PM   #120
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone as my alarm clock - it has replaced just about every gadget I've ever had, except my wristwatch. Now what do I do? The lack of dock is the main reason, besides the money, that I'm not planning to upgrade for another year.

When I dropped my 4s and broke the back glass, I started using a case, and had to remove the insert for the dock. It works well enough just supported by the connector. At the time I looked into other stands, and I think a compass stand might be an acceptable alternative.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:42 PM   #121
ipedro
macrumors 68020

The iPhone manual mentions a dock (sold separately). Could it be coming after all?

Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:34 PM   #122
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy616 View Post
If I can't see the phone because I have to cover it with a thick heavy bumper then it defeats the purpose of what makes the iphone so great. I have had 3 iphones and not once have I bought a cover, true over time I have gotten some micro scratches but still worth it considering I get to see the beauty of its construction first hand. Apple does not need to make a base there will be 50 companies doing that soon enough.
How about something that is barely noticeable to the design, yet protects your phone from damages of all kind? well either that or something like the SGP IncredibleShield, which is a glue-on affair like display protectors but for the complete phone.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:16 PM   #123
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I want an Apple made dock.
me too i just tried the 30 pin to lightening adapter on my Apple universal dock and it looks awful.

i was an Apple made dock.
animatedude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:29 AM   #124
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Anyone think Apple might backtrack on the idea and create a dock?
Blaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:50 AM   #125
bronxred
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Anyone think Apple might backtrack on the idea and create a dock?
Only if it's wireless. Where's Tesla when we need him?
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion