Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
So, from what I understand, the reason the iPhone 5 can't be used on a PPC Mac is because of the new Lightning connector, ultimately, because it requires a version of the AppleMobileDevice.kext that is iTunes 10.7-only [and therefore also Intel-only.]

I currently have a dual G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8, iTunes 10.6.3, and I use it to sync my iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1. That all works fine.

I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to update my iPhone 4S to iOS 6 and then continue syncing it on my G5 with iTunes 10.6.3. Since my 4S still uses the oldschool 30-pin dock connector, I'm wondering if that would render the Lightning connector .kext being Intel-only as a moot point.

TL;DR: Any news on whether or not an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 will be able to sync with iTunes on my PowerPC Mac?

kuellar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
So, from what I understand, the reason the iPhone 5 can't be used on a PPC Mac is because of the new Lightning connector, ultimately, because it requires a version of the AppleMobileDevice.kext that is iTunes 10.7-only [and therefore also Intel-only.]

I currently have a dual G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8, iTunes 10.6.3, and I use it to sync my iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1. That all works fine.

I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to update my iPhone 4S to iOS 6 and then continue syncing it on my G5 with iTunes 10.6.3. Since my 4S still uses the oldschool 30-pin dock connector, I'm wondering if that would render the Lightning connector .kext being Intel-only as a moot point.

TL;DR: Any news on whether or not an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 will be able to sync with iTunes on my PowerPC Mac?

i am about to buy the iphone 4 (8gb) but my concern is ¿will it sync?
i have a power mac g5 (dual 2.0) osx 10.5.8 and itunes 10.6.3
there is also the option to buy an intel imac
but want to wait until december to do so

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY

Yes, it will sync with any available iOS.

kuellar

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
I can confirm this works fine with 10.6.3 and iOS GM on an iPhone 4S

what i mean is ¿will my itunes library sync? ¿along with videos?

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
what i mean is ¿will my itunes library sync? ¿along with videos?
Yes man! It syncs. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and i sync it with the PowerBook from my signature. So, yes, it syncs.
The only sync issue with PPC macs is related to the new lightning connector/iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.