Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
iStorm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Should I keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon?

I've been putting off ordering the iPhone 5 because I haven't been able to decide if I should keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon. My average data usage for the last six months is just under 1GB/month. My max usage ever (prior to the last six months) was 3GB in one month. I currently have the iPhone 4 and am eligible for an upgrade discount. I've run through all the options and came up with a few which roughly cost the same in the long run. So it basically boils down to how much I want to spend now (for the iPhone), how much I want my monthly bill to be, and if I want the tethering/hotspot capability. (Yes, I know I can jailbreak and get it for free on my unlimited plan, but I would rather not jailbreak my new iPhone...at least not right away.)

Here's what I've come up with (staying on unlimited, or choosing 4GB/5GB data plan to be on the safe side):
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60) and unlimited data plan ($30) = $90/month + $750 iPhone => $2,910 after 2 years
  2. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 5GB data plan (without hotspot) ($50) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years
  3. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 4GB data plan (with hotspot) ($70) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years

Or maybe a couple more options to consider if I don't need that much data...
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 2GB data plan (without hotspot) ($30) = $90/month + $300 iPhone => $2,460 after 2 years
  2. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 2GB data plan (with hotspot) ($60) = $100/month + $300 iPhone => $2,700 after 2 years

I'm a little hesitant to drop my unlimited data because...well...I don't want to be limited. (Who does?) Based on my previous usage, I probably don't need it, but it's nice to have the ability to do whatever I want (stream tons of music, watch several Netflix movies, etc.) and not have to worry about going over. I'm sure we will all have to choose a data plan sooner or later though, and I'm guessing 4GB or 5GB would probably be big enough for me. The tethering/hotspot capability that comes with the Share Everything plan would be nice to have, but I would probably only use it a few times a year...and then there's always jailbreaking if I really need it.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions, or see anything that I may be overlooking? What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks!!
iStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:56 AM   #2
v7da1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I've been putting off ordering the iPhone 5 because I haven't been able to decide if I should keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon. My average data usage for the last six months is just under 1GB/month. My max usage ever (prior to the last six months) was 3GB in one month. I currently have the iPhone 4 and am eligible for an upgrade discount. I've run through all the options and came up with a few which roughly cost the same in the long run. So it basically boils down to how much I want to spend now (for the iPhone), how much I want my monthly bill to be, and if I want the tethering/hotspot capability. (Yes, I know I can jailbreak and get it for free on my unlimited plan, but I would rather not jailbreak my new iPhone...at least not right away.)

Here's what I've come up with (staying on unlimited, or choosing 4GB/5GB data plan to be on the safe side):
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60) and unlimited data plan ($30) = $90/month + $750 iPhone => $2,910 after 2 years
  2. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 5GB data plan (without hotspot) ($50) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years
  3. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 4GB data plan (with hotspot) ($70) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years

Or maybe a couple more options to consider if I don't need that much data...
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 2GB data plan (without hotspot) ($30) = $90/month + $300 iPhone => $2,460 after 2 years
  2. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 2GB data plan (with hotspot) ($60) = $100/month + $300 iPhone => $2,700 after 2 years

I'm a little hesitant to drop my unlimited data because...well...I don't want to be limited. (Who does?) Based on my previous usage, I probably don't need it, but it's nice to have the ability to do whatever I want (stream tons of music, watch several Netflix movies, etc.) and not have to worry about going over. I'm sure we will all have to choose a data plan sooner or later though, and I'm guessing 4GB or 5GB would probably be big enough for me. The tethering/hotspot capability that comes with the Share Everything plan would be nice to have, but I would probably only use it a few times a year...and then there's always jailbreaking if I really need it.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions, or see anything that I may be overlooking? What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks!!
I'm from Australia and didnt read your long paragraph. but i would kill to have unlimited! especially with lte you will want to use internet more.
you are holding a gold mine (from what ive heard)
v7da1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:58 AM   #3
einmusiker
macrumors 68030
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
all I can say is if you drop unlimited you will regret it
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Jspring86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
I opted to pay $750+ tax for my 32 GB iPhone 5 on Verizon to keep my unlimited data. I will reconsider this in the future, but I want to see how much data I use on 4G LTE. I already use about 2-3 GB a month on 3G so I have a feeling that could be doubled on 4G.
__________________
Noteworthy devices: iMac 27" late 2013, 32 GB RAM; 15" rMBP mid-2012, iPad Air 2 64 GB Gold, Nexus 9 16GB Black, HTC One(M8), Galaxy S5, LG G3, iPhone 6+ 128GB Gold, Galaxy Note 4 Black.
Jspring86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Fontane
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'm in the same position as you -- unlimited on Verizon and not sure what to do to upgrade.

I will say that I have been using a Droid RAZR with 4G LTE since December of last year and my data usage has not gone up. I think I might just be a light user. I always switch to wi-fi at home and do most of my data-intensive tasks once I'm on wi-fi (app updates, syncing photos to dropbox, etc). Between my girlfriend and I, we only use about 500mb/month. But we don't use our verizon data as our main connection at home. If we did, we'd certainly need much more every month for all the downloads and streaming.

I like the idea of having unlimited data and being able to use my electronics with a hotspot wherever I want, but the reality is i just don't ever have a need for it (unlimited data or hotspot).

The big question to ask yourself is do you realistically, based on your past usage, see yourself regretting not having unlimited data in the future? Will you have a need to stream a lot and consume GB's every month when you're away from wi-fi? I would invest in a good VPN (there are freebies, but a paid one is fast) that way you can connect from local hotspots and surf safely as opposed to using your own data. The more I consider it for myself, the more I see that I just don't, and will not, need more than a few gigs for my phone every month.

Some thoughts for you to consider.
Fontane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:17 PM   #6
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040
 
DiamondMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
all I can say is if you drop unlimited you will regret it
With more and more being put online and video being a bigger part of day-to-day activities for some (and more in the future), I completely agree.

I use between 5gb-7gb a month and have no plans to drop unlimited.

Never got throttled
__________________
32gb iPhone 4s
64GB iPad 2
15-inch, 500GB, 2.0GHz quad-core, Intel Core i7
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
2SwiFt29
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
For AT&T users, it's harder for us to decide because of them not allowing users to Facetime over Cellular unless you switch to Shared Data. For Verizon users, it should be a no brainer to keep the unlimited especially at the LTE rate. I'm keeping my AT&T unlimited even if I can't use facetime over cellular. For the amount of my wife and I using the data, it'd wouldn't be wise to switch to shared data.
__________________
iPad 2 | iPad Mini | Macbook 2.4GHZ Aluminum | iPhone 6+ 64GB | iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 5 16GB | iPhone 4 32GB | 3G iPhone 16GB
2SwiFt29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post

I'm a little hesitant to drop my unlimited data because...well...I don't want to be limited. (Who does?) Based on my previous usage, I probably don't need it, but it's nice to have the ability to do whatever I want (stream tons of music, watch several Netflix movies, etc.) and not have to worry about going over.
Where do you use your phone most? At work / office / School ? Do these area have Wifi?

Do you have wifi at home? Do you use your phone at home a lot more than on the go?

Having available Wifi is one of the things you should consider.

My avg. data per month was under 1 gb but 80% of my data is at home or Office both areas have wifi... however... with iphone 5 and LTE service being available in my area I would most likely turn off wifi and take advantage of LTE speeds which would result in more data usage than normal.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:50 PM   #9
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Since the 2 year cost are all really similar, I would stay with the unlimited.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
jtp098
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Purchase
keep the unlimited I have used 1 gb in 3 days and i am in no means a heavy user.. normal use only too. web browsing(few hours a day) and surfing itunes a little and playing i think one video or two.. LTE sucks data like no tomorrow
jtp098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
VMMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
You can

A) Keep unlimited and happily never post again
B) Lose unlimited and start threads like "Abnormally high LTE date usage" or "I never used to go over 600MB before but now I've used 1 GB LTE in 1 day?!?"
__________________
2011 MBP 17", 2011 MBA 11", iPad, iPhone 4
VMMan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #12
MikeE21286
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspring86 View Post
I opted to pay $750+ tax for my 32 GB iPhone 5 on Verizon to keep my unlimited data. I will reconsider this in the future, but I want to see how much data I use on 4G LTE. I already use about 2-3 GB a month on 3G so I have a feeling that could be doubled on 4G.
My plan also (with 16gb not 32 gb)
MikeE21286 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
applesith
macrumors 68000
 
applesith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I've already used 400MB+ since first using my 5 friday night. Keep the unlimited.
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
jason2811
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
I am in the exact same situation as you. Here is the thread that I posted about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1446776


I think I'm going to keep my unlimited plan and buy phones unsubsidized. As it stands, if i switch to a Share Everything plan my monthly bill will go up by $14 per month.

I have no idea how much data I will use on LTE and I don't know how much data I will use 2-3 years down the line so I might as well keep unlimited.
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #15
pragmatous
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
I paid the 950 (750 for 32GB black iphone 5, extra lightning cable, and applecaer+) for the iphone 5 to keep my unlimited plan. In the long run it's worth it and you won't constantly look and see if you used up your data plan that month (darn I can't look up the nearest tow truck company - I guess I gotta pay 15 dollars for an extra gig of data.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I've been putting off ordering the iPhone 5 because I haven't been able to decide if I should keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon. My average data usage for the last six months is just under 1GB/month. My max usage ever (prior to the last six months) was 3GB in one month. I currently have the iPhone 4 and am eligible for an upgrade discount. I've run through all the options and came up with a few which roughly cost the same in the long run. So it basically boils down to how much I want to spend now (for the iPhone), how much I want my monthly bill to be, and if I want the tethering/hotspot capability. (Yes, I know I can jailbreak and get it for free on my unlimited plan, but I would rather not jailbreak my new iPhone...at least not right away.)

Here's what I've come up with (staying on unlimited, or choosing 4GB/5GB data plan to be on the safe side):
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60) and unlimited data plan ($30) = $90/month + $750 iPhone => $2,910 after 2 years
  2. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 5GB data plan (without hotspot) ($50) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years
  3. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 4GB data plan (with hotspot) ($70) = $110/month + $300 iPhone => $2,940 after 2 years

Or maybe a couple more options to consider if I don't need that much data...
  1. Keep existing Talk & Text ($60), and change to 2GB data plan (without hotspot) ($30) = $90/month + $300 iPhone => $2,460 after 2 years
  2. Switch to Share Everything ($40), and choose the 2GB data plan (with hotspot) ($60) = $100/month + $300 iPhone => $2,700 after 2 years

I'm a little hesitant to drop my unlimited data because...well...I don't want to be limited. (Who does?) Based on my previous usage, I probably don't need it, but it's nice to have the ability to do whatever I want (stream tons of music, watch several Netflix movies, etc.) and not have to worry about going over. I'm sure we will all have to choose a data plan sooner or later though, and I'm guessing 4GB or 5GB would probably be big enough for me. The tethering/hotspot capability that comes with the Share Everything plan would be nice to have, but I would probably only use it a few times a year...and then there's always jailbreaking if I really need it.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions, or see anything that I may be overlooking? What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks!!
pragmatous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #16
snook911
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29 View Post
For AT&T users, it's harder for us to decide because of them not allowing users to Facetime over Cellular unless you switch to Shared Data. For Verizon users, it should be a no brainer to keep the unlimited especially at the LTE rate. I'm keeping my AT&T unlimited even if I can't use facetime over cellular. For the amount of my wife and I using the data, it'd wouldn't be wise to switch to shared data.
Its a much eaiser decision if you jailbreak. Jailbreaking has become so easy I don't know why everyone does not do it. When I started jailbraking on the 3G there where at least 20 steps to go through and it was pretty complicated. Now you go to a website hook up your phone and hit the jailbreak button and in 10 min. your jailbroken. Its worth it just for the hotspot and my 3G (maybe they will change the name now). my 3G tricks your phone into thinking you are on wireless when your on cellular releasing all cellular restrictions as far as data goes. This is especially usefull if you are on the unlimited plan. Now I just have to wait for iOS6 to be jailbroken.
__________________
iPhone 4GB/3G iPhone 8 GB/5th Gen iPod Nano Video 8GB/ 2 32GB white ipod touch(kids)/iPhone 4 16GB(sold)/32GB iPhone 4S(sold)/16GB WiFi iPad/AppleTV(sold)/July2011 13.3 MBP/32GB iPhone 5(SOON!!!)
snook911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Dreshyne2g
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Keep the unlimited my wife used 1.3 gb in 3 days. The average person will use 4 times the data when they switch to lte. The shared plans are designed to do only one thing make money.
Dreshyne2g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:28 PM   #18
pragmatous
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Imagine jailbreak + unlimited data + hotspot - Suddenly paying the 950 is more than worth it to keep unlimited data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook911 View Post
Its a much eaiser decision if you jailbreak. Jailbreaking has become so easy I don't know why everyone does not do it. When I started jailbraking on the 3G there where at least 20 steps to go through and it was pretty complicated. Now you go to a website hook up your phone and hit the jailbreak button and in 10 min. your jailbroken. Its worth it just for the hotspot and my 3G (maybe they will change the name now). my 3G tricks your phone into thinking you are on wireless when your on cellular releasing all cellular restrictions as far as data goes. This is especially usefull if you are on the unlimited plan. Now I just have to wait for iOS6 to be jailbroken.
pragmatous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #19
rexboe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Keep the unlimited
rexboe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Keep the unlimited. Think about the future. Fast phones and faster networks. Developers will be making apps, games, and videos that are optimized for this. Think HD video. Uses more data. Higher quality audio, etc.

Don't limit yourself.
Bswartz95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #21
chrisfromalbany
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatous View Post
Imagine jailbreak + unlimited data + hotspot - Suddenly paying the 950 is more than worth it to keep unlimited data.
if you jailbreak phone and use it as hotspot can't they (Verizon) notice that? I believe ATT can. that is if you aren't paying additional for hotspot and start using as hotspot via jailbreak.
chrisfromalbany is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Swannyy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
it depends on how much data you use. I opted to ditch my unlimited for the 2gb because I'm always on wifi. No netflix, no facebook, barely any youtube or music streaming. More and more businesses are going to be opening wifi to customers so Ill just use that if i absolutely need to. I got a 32g and couldn't justify spending around $800 for a phone.

I could be totally wrong, but I felt Verizon was gonna force me to give up unlimited at some point anyways, no matter how they figured out a sneaky way to do it.
Swannyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:51 PM   #23
jester0723
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
I kept it. LTE is fast as **** and I want to use it all the time.

Also I've burned through 2gb already in the 4 days I've had the phone.
__________________
Macbook Pro Summer '11 :: iPad Mini 64gb - black :: iPhone 5 32gb - black/slate
jester0723 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:52 PM   #24
rbf1138
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Here's a question, as I'm in a similar situation. I bought the 5 at full price, and have already used over 2gb. How can I tell if I'm being throttled by Verizon? Will my speedtest results be slower? How much slower?
rbf1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:54 PM   #25
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbf1138 View Post
Here's a question, as I'm in a similar situation. I bought the 5 at full price, and have already used over 2gb. How can I tell if I'm being throttled by Verizon? Will my speedtest results be slower? How much slower?

Verizon doesn't throttle very often and if your using 4G data they don't
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Verizon unlimited data is back if you have a nationwide plan/grandfathered data richdog31 iPhone 7 Oct 8, 2013 02:40 PM
Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan? Trundle iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Sep 2, 2013 10:58 AM
Hotspot on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan? Starfyre iPhone 14 Oct 14, 2012 09:02 PM
Question about Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Plan Starfyre iPhone 5 Oct 14, 2012 12:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC