Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Hey guys, I need your help.

My problem is, I unpaired my Apple TV remote cause I want to pair/use it to control my "MacBook Pro with Retina Display"

I am not possible to do that though, idk whats wrong but I read so much from websites & did the things they said but I still can't pair/use it with my MBPR.

I am pretty pissed about that cause that should be easier for the costumers.

Is it even possible with this device or did they left anything out on ML?
If it is possible, please send me how to do it right.

I am running Mountain Lion on a MBPR, I would appreciate your help :apple:

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005

My problem is, I unpaired my Apple TV remote cause I want to pair/use it to control my "MacBook Pro with Retina Display"

I am not possible to do that though, idk whats wrong but I read so much from websites & did the things they said but I still can't pair/use it with my MBPR.

Unfortunately there is no infrared port on the Retina MacBook Pro so you can't use an Apple TV (or any other Apple) remote with it.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Hi iPusch,

While I'm pretty sure that Jacksteruk309 is absolutely correct, i.e., there is no Infrared port for the Infrared Remote to use. There are possibly "workarounds" that you might use. In particular, I use a wireless trackpad (and wireless keyboard) to interact with a rMBP. True, with the trackpad you now have to move the cursor and click on the correct button to play/pause, but at least it gives you that "remote" capability that you want with the Apple IR Remote.

There is another minor disadvantage of using the wireless trackpad as a remote, and that is the fact that it is difficult to "click" with it. Basically, on the underside of the trackpad you will see two knobs, these knobs are more than just passive nonslip pads, they are actually the "click" buttons. So, as I see it, you have one of three possible choices: (i) set the System Preferences Trackpad Point & Click preference to allow tapping as a click, or (ii) you have to hold the trackpad in your palm so that you can use your fingers to manually push the trackpad's underside knob to perform a "click", or (iii) you can place the trackpad on a hard surface, such as a book or clipboard, and then pressing on the trackpad's surface with push the trackpad's underside "click" button for you. Personally, I use a small painter's easel (with a thumb-hole for easy holding with a single hand) on which I carry both a wireless keyboard and a wireless trackpad that allows me to roam around a lecture hall while interacting with the laptop, both in moving the pointer and even typing.

...just a suggestion...

Switon

Thank 4 the suggestion buddy.
I most need this remote for school Keynotes but looks bad for me.
Does this Keynote remote also works with an iPod touch 2G? I gonna have a look on the AppStore

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'm sure they could have fit an infrared sensor, but I guess they are trying to get rid of any 'legacy' stuff.

Since Lion, media centre or Front Row was removed so it would be difficult to navigate the desktop at a distance anyway.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Maybe you should take your mask off....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.