Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1
esad247
macrumors newbie

APN Settings / Straight Talk Wireless

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has successfully been able to edit their APN settings in order to get their data to work on Straight Talk wireless. I have a 3GS with an Straight Talk ATT compatible SIM card running 5.1.1 and my data works fine. I read somewhere that IOS 6 no longer allows you to use an edited APN and just wanted to verify before upgrading.

Thank you.
esad247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:52 AM   #2
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

This was a huge annoyance to me. I'm sure they killed the Tmobile SIM swap trick, likely because it was legitimately a bug.

I predict the situation is the same though. Wish it wasn't but this is one of the super annoying things you get with iphone.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
madsci954
macrumors 68000

You should be able to use http://unlockit.co.nz/ as it creates an APN profile.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

I figured we were past the need to mention the inability to configure MMS settings in the apple deployment software or things like unlockit.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
esad247
macrumors newbie

Re: APN settings

Hi I was more just curious as to whether the APN settings can be modified at all in IOS 6 as I had seen reports that it couldn't. I don't care about the MMS settings as much, not what I'm here acquiring about. Will unlockit work in IOS 6 or some other method to ensure data usage only.
esad247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

When iOS 6 releases we can answer your question for sure.

I assume unlockit will continue to work as it is a supported method to do that.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
LennonNZ
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
When iOS 6 releases we can answer your question for sure.

I assume unlockit will continue to work as it is a supported method to do that.
Yes unlockit still works on iOS6.

Thanks
Craig
(Owner of www.unlockit.co.nz).

(and yes it should work 100% on the iPhone 5 as well)
LennonNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

Seeing ipads are unlocked I took my Verizon ipad3 with iOS 6 and put in an AT&T Go Phone SIM and APN settings menu was hidden. I do get a APN menu with my Tmobile SIM. This is the same problem I had on my iphone 4 and 4S and I would "assume" this is the same on the iPhones with iOS 6 still but I don't have one anymore.

Apple doesn't care about MVNO users, despite all the feedback we logged. Sad really. No problem setting APN with Straight Talk SIM (AT&T) in my Galaxy Note.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #9
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

APN IOS 6 iPhone 4 (carrier unlocked ATT)

I updated to ios 6 today. I am working on APN settings for MMS, but so far it hasn't worked. It does open up the settings when I do the t-mobile swap, it changed the settings to "phone", I went back in and set them again but to no avail yet. If someone has an updated fix, well post it here!
DentTheUniverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
msemper
macrumors newbie

the video works

this method work for iOS6 too http://youtu.be/Bd3htj0pzNc
msemper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:22 PM   #11
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msemper View Post
this method work for iOS6 too http://youtu.be/Bd3htj0pzNc
But have you updated to ios6 and then tried it?! (I know it's your your Youtube vid...but I don't think it will work).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:27 PM   #12
heroe1981
macrumors newbie

ok i have mms and data working on ios6 settings on video are outdated there are no wap.cingular

here are the instructions to get mms and data working no http://www.unlockit.co.nz needed

SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
replace phone to att.mvno you will find two "phone" in this .plist replace both to att.mvno

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Library/Preferences/com.apple.mms_override.plist
use this text:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>MMS</key>
<dict>
<key>GroupModeEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>MMSC</key>
<string>http://mmsc.cingular.com</string>
<key>MaxMessageSize</key>
<integer>1048576</integer>
<key>MaxRecipients</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>MaxVideoBitrate</key>
<integer>131072</integer>
<key>Proxy</key>
<string>66.209.11.33:80</string>
<key>UAProf</key>
<string>http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf</string>
<key>UserAgent</key>
<string>SonyEricssonW800i/R1L</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Then click the checkmark on those two file and restore to the iphone using iBackupBot software

7. It should restore and after reboot MMS should start working.

Note that you may need to follow these instructions again if MMS stops working after an iOS update.

Last edited by heroe1981; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
heroe1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:06 AM   #13
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

The unlockit.nz Apn downlad, then the tmonile sim trick works. The key is enabling after you put in the correct att.mvno settings, proxy,
mmscc settings, then back out and turn on the airplane mode, turning off the the phone insert ST sim, and go to toggel airplane mode off, quickly go to the menued apn settings, the system will try to correct them to "phone", but put them in as instructed amd MMS will work on an iPhone 4 (Att carrier unlocked) running IOS 6! It took me about 2 hours to figure it out, ive turned the phone on and off, toggled the airplane button amd MMS is working normal...speeds are crazy fast too!! ST is the way to go!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:28 AM   #14
heroe1981
macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te5R9HnB8kY&noredirect=1
heroe1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:25 AM   #15
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad247 View Post
Hi I was more just curious as to whether the APN settings can be modified at all in IOS 6 as I had seen reports that it couldn't. I don't care about the MMS settings as much, not what I'm here acquiring about. Will unlockit work in IOS 6 or some other method to ensure data usage only.
Yes it works. I updated to ios 6 and I had to re-due my APN settings, the MMS works and I amazed at how fast the phone runs and my speeds on Straight Talk are amazing now! (A trick if you are a ST user, use the Air Plane mode to toggle on and off...you will get better connection and speeds).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Bahrain
macrumors newbie

Hi all this is my first post and I had the same problem and its so easy because its there in the menu . Go to general - cellular and scroll down and you will see it lol very tricky
Bahrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:40 AM   #17
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahrain View Post
Hi all this is my first post and I had the same problem and its so easy because its there in the menu . Go to general - cellular and scroll down and you will see it lol very tricky
If you are using a SIM that the phone is sold on with contract that menu is hidden. So if you want to use an MVNO of some sort you are locked out and thus this thread.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:50 AM   #18
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

I assure you, mms works on ios 6 using straight talk. It's the exact same process as before, except I did not uninstall unlockit.co.nz. The same APN settings exist, facetime and hotspot does not work (over cellular) though, for me not an issue.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:28 AM   #19
jarko
macrumors newbie

Ios6 st

I can confirm the above steps work. However, all of the APN settings are lost when if the phone is rebooted. Can anyone else confirm this?
jarko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #20
DentTheUniverse
macrumors member

The APN settings stick. Ive rebooted my wife and my phone. If you notice when you do the sim swap you can backout, and the cellular pop up menu stays, the key is to get it to disappear when the ST sim is in...you can even reboot and it stays...you can even see an option for cellular option on/off. I assure you our phones are working with mms to and from non iphone users.

----------

With the sim swap approach, you must access a website, hit the home button twice, go to notepad, then launch a page, once you do it will make the cellular pop up disappear, then toggle airplane mode, test to make sure you can send mms to non-iphone devices...then power on/off. It works.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:02 AM   #21
jarko
macrumors newbie

I will need to order SIM card to do the SIM swap trick then. Prior I had only been modifying the .plists, like in heroes1981's post.
jarko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:34 AM   #22
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarko View Post
I will need to order SIM card to do the SIM swap trick then. Prior I had only been modifying the .plists, like in heroes1981's post.
Tmobiles website for like a buck.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #23
corvette
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroe1981 View Post
ok i have mms and data working on ios6 settings on video are outdated there are no wap.cingular

here are the instructions to get mms and data working no http://www.unlockit.co.nz needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
replace phone to att.mvno you will find two "phone" in this .plist replace both to att.mvno

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

use this text:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>MMS</key>
<dict>
<false/>
<key>MMSC</key>
<key>MaxRecipients</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>Proxy</key>
<key>UAProf</key>
<key>UserAgent</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Then click the checkmark on those two file and restore to the iphone using iBackupBot software

Note that you may need to follow these instructions again if MMS stops working after an iOS update.
confirmed this works with ios6 and ST with IPHONE 4
corvette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:19 PM   #24
maxx001
macrumors newbie

[FIX] MMS on iOS 6 final on att.mvno

Ive been testing the above method from beta 4 to final release of iOS 6 (excessive testing!!) and its not working. Data sticks, where as MMS is "switched" back to "iphone". Im on Red Pocket, which is essentially the same as Straight Talk.

What did work was to jailbreak the final iOS 6 with redsnow dev4 and then install Cydia via terminal using:

wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh

Then install TetherMe and change the apn/mms settings. works like a charm!
Zephyr has also been updated for ios 6!

I would highly recommend staying away from other tweaks as I tried some and they all crashed or froze the phone so I had to start all over..

Last edited by maxx001; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling...
maxx001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:06 PM   #25
redebbm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroe1981 View Post

use this text:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>MMS</key>
<dict>
<false/>
<key>MMSC</key>
<key>MaxRecipients</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>Proxy</key>
<key>UAProf</key>
<key>UserAgent</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I can also confirmed this worked on an iPhone 4 running iOS6. I'm afraid of the settings being reset. Has this been a problem for anyone?

EDIT: Just turned off and turned back on the phone, and it broke both data & MMS. It seems since the iOS update I cannot get the plist editing to stick for a long time.

Last edited by redebbm; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
redebbm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6