Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
i'm.huMAC
macrumors newbie

New 5th-gen iPod touch or Rumored iPad mini?

So when they announced the latest iPod touch, I got all excited and wanted to get my hands on it. Especially since it's pretty close to the iPhone 5 disregarding the cellular capabilities, of course.

Now, with all the iPad mini rumors circulating, I'm confused on whether I should purchase the touch or wait for the mini which they say is going to be announced in Apple's October event.

Also, with the starting price of the iPod touch at $299, I can't really imagine how Apple is going to price this rumored iPad mini.
i'm.huMAC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

I think iPad mini won't come any time soon. They'll propably present it along with iPad 4 at the keynote sometime in january-february of 2013. iPad mini price will start maybe at 399$ for 8-16gb model and will be much worse than iPad 3 not to mention iPad 4. I suggest you buy iPod touch 5 now and wait for iPad mini if it's gonna be better at a reasonable price then you sell iPod and buy iPad mini.
GoodBoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
I think iPad mini won't come any time soon. They'll propably present it along with iPad 4 at the keynote sometime in january-february of 2013. iPad mini price will start maybe at 399$ for 8-16gb model and will be much worse than iPad 3 not to mention iPad 4. I suggest you buy iPod touch 5 now and wait for iPad mini if it's gonna be better at a reasonable price then you sell iPod and buy iPad mini.
All the rumor sites claim the iPad mini is being announced in October so Apple can start selling them for the holidays. They are all rumors though so who knows . Since the 5th gen Touch will not be on sale till October, the OP should just wait until the end of October to see if an iPad Mini is announced before buying the new Touch.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

Good point he can wait so am I But... those rumors are really just a rumors. In case of iPhone 5 we've had leaked picutures of real phone long before the premiere. In case of iPad mini all we have is mock ups. If Apple had been working on this, real prototypes would've been leaked long ago. At this poin it's totally illogical to release iPad mini in october. Why? Because Apple's lineup for the holidays is very strong. iPads both iPad 2 and 3 are selling like crazy, so is iPhone 5 and will probably be the same with iPod touch 5. I think Apple will make big keynote after holiday season to present both iPad 4 and maybe iPad mini. Yeah he can wait till october. Waiting more would be just a waste of time, casuse iPad's mini release is pure speculation at this moment.
GoodBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
JohnnyAndre
macrumors regular

Buy a touch when they are available (October) ... then when (if) the mini is announced, go play with it. I'm sure the internals won't make a huge difference, and you won't be able to fit a mini in your pocket. Then, if you like the mini more ... return the iPod and buy it. Simple.
JohnnyAndre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
DJLanglois
macrumors member

I have a iPad 3 and a last-gen Touch. And I've just preordered the new Touch.

For me, the iPad Mini doesn't make sense. If I'm going to use something that takes two hands (which the mini certainly does), I'm going to go with the full-sized iPad.
DJLanglois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
JohnnyAndre
macrumors regular

Agreed. I really can't see the point of an iPad mini. Unless you have sandpaper to San your fingers down that screen size is way too tiny.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:51 PM   #8
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAndre View Post
Agreed. I really can't see the point of an iPad mini. Unless you have sandpaper to San your fingers down that screen size is way too tiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLanglois View Post
For me, the iPad Mini doesn't make sense. If I'm going to use something that takes two hands (which the mini certainly does), I'm going to go with the full-sized iPad.
i have an ipad 3.
i do alot of traveling. on buses, trains and planes. always on the move.

if i need to do any real proper work i use a macbook air.
for everything else i find the ipad too heavy and too awkward when i'm on the move, in a hurry, standing in crowded buses and trains.

if people don't get that and it doesn't make sense to them then it NEVER will.
if you don't like the idea of an iPad mini, don't come here and don't buy one.

----------

also, if they actually made an ipod that took a sim for data, then that might be doable. but as it stands they only do that for ipad models.

like i said, i travel and have no need to be locked into a 24 month phone contract.
sineplex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
JohnnyAndre
macrumors regular

You're right. There is absolutely a market for the iPad mini, I just think that personally the iPod touch would be a better choice. A pocketable computer VS another thing I have to carry around.
Wii U Deluxe - 3DSXL Red - PC - 360 - PS2 - Dreamcast
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:26 PM   #10
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Currently using ipad3, will upgrade my touch to 5G when it comes out

But I don't mind a 7" iPad mini just as a media tablet. I can use it as my TV guide, click on the program and it starts streaming to my ATV and AirPlay speakers. I can also use it as a remote keyboard for the ATV too.

The October event is to announce the new iTunes , it would be the perfect event to announce a media tablet too.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:23 PM   #11
iphonefan74
Banned

Quote:
The ipad mini will outsell the ipad. Mark my words
iphonefan74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonefan74 View Post
The ipad mini will outsell the ipad. Mark my words
Not unless the ipad mini is targeting the wider consumer market. Such as a media tablet or a Wii U killer.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

The type of app that you will get on the ipad is greater (ipad can run iphone apps but not vice versa). So i'm voting the ipad mini.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:20 PM   #14
JohnnyAndre
macrumors regular

Eh. It won't outsell the iPad at $399. And I strongly doubt it will be any cheaper than that.
Wii U Deluxe - 3DSXL Red - PC - 360 - PS2 - Dreamcast
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:04 PM   #15
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
The type of app that you will get on the ipad is greater (ipad can run iphone apps but not vice versa). So i'm voting the ipad mini.
iPad mini might be just a media tablet and will run the Apple TV front-end and won't let you install any apps from the iTunes store.

Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #16
cnev3
macrumors 6502

I can guarantee you, we won't see an iPad mini this year. And its still not guaranteed that its coming at all. Buy the touch. If the iPad mini does come out, and you want it, you can take advantage of the fact that Apple products have good resale value, and flip the touch.
cnev3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:14 PM   #17
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So I guess people using the iPod Touch and iPhones all had to sand down their fingers?
SeaFox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:46 AM   #18
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
i seriously never get that comment Steve Jobs made about sand papering your fingers down..... what about the iPhone?? The biggest selling product and flagship.... It does exceptionally well at an even smaller size and requires no sand paper.
sineplex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:29 AM   #19
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sineplex View Post
i seriously never get that comment Steve Jobs made about sand papering your fingers down..... what about the iPhone?? The biggest selling product and flagship.... It does exceptionally well at an even smaller size and requires no sand paper.
That is why Apple are putting so much money into Siri
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:01 AM   #20
madrich
macrumors regular

I had the original iPhone which I sold, then I got the iPod Touch 4th generation. I have looked at the new iPhone 5 and I think that iPod Touch 4th Gen is a better screen for games. However, I am excited about iPad mini and probably will buy it because the current iPad is too big and heavy.
madrich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:29 PM   #21
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrich View Post
I had the original iPhone which I sold, then I got the iPod Touch 4th generation. I have looked at the new iPhone 5 and I think that iPod Touch 4th Gen is a better screen for games. However, I am excited about iPad mini and probably will buy it because the current iPad is too big and heavy.
how can the ipod touch 4 have a better screen? it is only a cheap TN and not an IPS.
sineplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:07 PM   #22
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sineplex View Post
What Jobs meant was fitting the 10" iPad interface into a 7" display, which would've made the touch targets smaller than the iPhone's. The rumored iPad Mini is roughly 8" and thus fits somewhere between those two sizes, resulting in touch targets that are exactly the same in size as the iPhone's.
fertilized-egg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:41 PM   #23
MacIke
macrumors regular

iPod Touch. Love the size.

My only question is RAM
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:30 AM   #24
sineplex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacIke View Post
iPod Touch. Love the size.

My only question is RAM
i'd have to say 512MB
no way they'll give 1GB like the iPhone 5 and no way it will have 256MB like the iPod Touch 4
sineplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:29 AM   #25
moonlight7
macrumors newbie

The new iPod touch will be released to stores in this month, just wait mate
moonlight7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Tags
ipad, ipod, mini, touch