Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petteri

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Hey,

I'm planning on waiting in line Thursday night/Friday AM to pick up an iPhone for a friend who missed out on the online order window and won't be able to get to a store. I'm getting conflicting answers from the staff at the local Apple Store. Can I pick up the phone for her and then have her activate it later or even have them activate it right then if she isn't there? I'd have all of her account information. At the very least can I pick up an un-subsidized phone if they won't allow me to get the phone for her? :confused:

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
You can do this as long as you are an Authorized User that appears under the EasyPay and AT&T account.. This being if the account is AT&T

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Hey,

I'm planning on waiting in line Thursday night/Friday AM to pick up an iPhone for a friend who missed out on the online order window and won't be able to get to a store. I'm getting conflicting answers from the staff at the local Apple Store. Can I pick up the phone for her and then have her activate it later or even have them activate it right then if she isn't there? I'd have all of her account information. At the very least can I pick up an un-subsidized phone if they won't allow me to get the phone for her? :confused:

I dont think theyre selling unlocked (full price) phones at launch. They will need the info from the account holder for a subsidized phone.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
you need the account info
you need to be authorized on the account (do this in advance)
the line that is being upgraded needs to be eligible (did you check)
somebody needs some money, cash?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
And you should also know, they probably won't let you buy more than 1 iPhone. Unless you are just such a good friend that you'll stand in line for someone :)

vmk9783

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Funny I'm doing the same thing, but she has already made me an authorized user on her account. Will this be enough? Also does anyone know how much the actual phone will cost with tax? She is giving me cash and wants to make sure she gives me enough. She will be getting the 16 gb.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Funny I'm doing the same thing, but she has already made me an authorized user on her account. Will this be enough? Also does anyone know how much the actual phone will cost with tax? She is giving me cash and wants to make sure she gives me enough. She will be getting the 16 gb.

You'll just take your local tax rate, multiplied by $199.

petteri

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Thanks for the help! I'm going to the Apple store this AM and see if I can get a more solid answer from them. On the AT&T site it says that the authorized user can only do the upgrades at an actual AT&T store and that at an Apple Store the actual account holder needs to be there.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Hey,

She must be a good lay

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for the help! I'm going to the Apple store this AM and see if I can get a more solid answer from them. On the AT&T site it says that the authorized user can only do the upgrades at an actual AT&T store and that at an Apple Store the actual account holder needs to be there.

That is incorrect, an actual account holder does not need to be there when you purchase an iphone at the Apple store. I'm an authorized user as well and I purchased the 4S without any issue with out my account holder being there.

As long as you are put as an authorized user, you can still purchase an iphone at the Apple store without the account holder being present. You just need to know the last 4 social security # and your ID. Apple can check if you are authorized user or not.

fisha20

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Went to an Apple store to buy one for my MIL. Husband and I have same last name as her. They wouldn't let us buy it for her because we aren't on her AT&T account. She had to go and show her driver's license.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Went to an Apple store to buy one for my MIL. Husband and I have same last name as her. They wouldn't let us buy it for her because we aren't on her AT&T account. She had to go and show her driver's license.

And that is what it should be. She could have called in to ATT and and added you as an authorized user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.