Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have used my previous two email addresses as my Apple ID for about the past 5 to 7 years. I have wanted to change the ID to my @me.com email since I got the thing, but I can't figure out a way how. The main annoyance of this is I don't get my notification emails set up through my Apple ID at my @me.com email address. Considering that I have email set up on my iPad, iPhone and Mac, THIS IS ANNOYING.

Does anybody know anything I can do? I tried looking in iTunes for how to change it to no avail. I got a brand new Apple ID set up for my sister using an iCloud email, so I know it's possible. Thanks.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Not by the looks of it, on the new apple ID page where all your address details etc are, when putting in a new apple ID, it just says no apple owned domains allowed.... grrr

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Apple ID's are quite possibly the worst thing apple has ever done. The fact that we can't change usernames to their own services is absolutely retarded and whomever decided that should be stoned to death.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Apple ID's are quite possibly the worst thing apple has ever done. The fact that we can't change usernames to their own services is absolutely retarded and whomever decided that should be stoned to death.

Man… you nailed that right. Couldn't have said it better. Can't change iTunes logins… I'm forced to have separate Apple IDs. 1 year wait to be able to use an old password. bla bla. So confusing.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Man… you nailed that right. Couldn't have said it better. Can't change iTunes logins… I'm forced to have separate Apple IDs. 1 year wait to be able to use an old password. bla bla. So confusing.

I know Apple has stated they are working on a solution to resolve this, but I am starting to believe it will never happen. I no longer want my GOOGLE ACCOUNT (THEIR COMPETITOR) AS MY ITUNES STORE LOGIN. I want to use my new icloud email!

Please apple... for the sake of not only us, but yourself... this will let people LEAVE your competitor for you. I know its the only reason why I still use GMAIL.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
This might give everyone (who has this issue) an orgasm but this is what I just came across at AppleID just now.

But before I continue the procedure posted below, what happens to my iTunes account (filled with purchases) if it's linked to the @gmail account I'm about to change?

Edit: Apple still won't change my Apple ID.

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 2.24.43 PM.png

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
It looks as though we will be able to change our apple ID's (THANK THE LORD!!!!!!) but it looks limited to our @icloud.com email addresses not @me.com ones, but its better than nothing.... I think this changing of apple ID will be able to be done once the email address is actually live, which of course it isnt as yet.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
It looks as though we will be able to change our apple ID's (THANK THE LORD!!!!!!) but it looks limited to our @icloud.com email addresses not @me.com ones, but its better than nothing.... I think this changing of apple ID will be able to be done once the email address is actually live, which of course it isnt as yet.
I think so too. I just hope, if this will be possible, my iTunes purchases are able to stay with the changed Apple ID.

Last edited:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

All I could do was change the primary email, not the Apple ID.

polythene

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I know Apple has stated they are working on a solution to resolve this, but I am starting to believe it will never happen. I no longer want my GOOGLE ACCOUNT (THEIR COMPETITOR) AS MY ITUNES STORE LOGIN. I want to use my new icloud email!

Please apple... for the sake of not only us, but yourself... this will let people LEAVE your competitor for you. I know its the only reason why I still use GMAIL.

This.

I'm amazed Apple hasn't solved this problem yet.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Is this issue resolved yet?

My current Apple ID is "xxxx@SamsungLoverDieAppleDie.com"

I would really prefer to drop the above Apple ID in favor of a more Apple-centric domain name such as @icloud.com. It only makes sense that I should use the icloud.com domain as my Apple ID in order to access my App Store and iTunes accounts. Makes perfect sense, right?

It's now October 2012. To whom shall we write to hasten a fix for this lameness? What is Tim Cook's email address? cookie@apple.com ?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Still not possible, have managed to change my primary email address though so emails are going to my new icloud email address, just still with a hotmail apple id #annoying

dazonic

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Ok you can't change it to a icloud.com or me.com, but I just set up a kid's iPod, and when setting up an Apple ID it straight up asks you if you have an email or if you want a new one at icloud.com

It worked, GMail-free Apple ID.

d1pZa.png

Hope we can change existing accounts soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1761 copy.png
    IMG_1761 copy.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 497

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Have there been any developments in this area recently? I'd very much like to abandon Google, but the Apple ID issue is really annoying.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Have there been any developments in this area recently? I'd very much like to abandon Google, but the Apple ID issue is really annoying.

im in the same boat, but as far as i know, it specifically says it has to be another domain's email. you cant change to an icloud, just set it up from the beginning as one.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
bump this up in the hope more people can get on board and make this happen :)

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I'm a little confused as to why this is an issue. You have a primary Apple ID and an alternate Apple ID. Apparently you can't switch your primary Apple ID to a @icloud.com unless you created that @icloud.com email address when you created the Apple ID; however, you can use any @icloud.com as your alternate Apple ID.

So, why not just set your @icloud.com email address as your alternate Apple ID and use that for all your logins?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I'm a little confused as to why this is an issue. You have a primary Apple ID and an alternate Apple ID. Apparently you can't switch your primary Apple ID to a @icloud.com unless you created that @icloud.com email address when you created the Apple ID; however, you can use any @icloud.com as your alternate Apple ID.

So, why not just set your @icloud.com email address as your alternate Apple ID and use that for all your logins?

Anything you buy goes to your primary email. Eg Google who then scan it. Some want to prevent this. Read the topic.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Anything you buy goes to your primary email. Eg Google who then scan it. Some want to prevent this. Read the topic.

Got it. I thought the issue was being able to access iCloud without having to use the gmail address. It's an easy enough thing to tell gmail to forward any incoming notification from apple.com to your iCloud.com email address, but if you're worried about gmail scanning them that doesn't help.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
They STILL don't have this fixed? Eddie Cue needs to get on the ball. :/

I just don't see why I need a Gmail account to have an Apple account.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Yes with all the who ha about privacy with Apple Pay you would think that they would have done this by now. Don't want other companies knowing what i buy. Come on Apple :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.