Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gray Tragedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon), which is about to be out of contract (in October). However, I don't want to renew my contract w/ Verizon, because I'm going to be traveling to South America indefinitely (starting Oct 1st). So getting a subsidized 4S/5 is not really an option.

From what I understand, I can't have my iPhone 4 unlocked since Verizon's iPhone 4 model doesn't have a SIM card. So, I need to get at least a 4S (or possibly an earlier model). I think what I'm looking to do is buy an unlocked 4S/3GS that I can pop a local SIM card in. (Aside: I was looking at TruPhone, but can't find that many reviews of it online. Does anyone have any experience with this company? http://truphone.com)

If I go that route, what do I need to look out for? I see a lot of "factory unlocked" phones for sale on Craigslist, are these legit?

I also want to sell my iPhone 4 then (it's 32GB). Should I get it "factory unlocked" to do that (I see a lot of those services on CL)? Or should I call Verizon and have them unlock it? (Again, not sure if that's even a thing since the 4 doesn't have a SIM card.) I would be looking to spend as little money (net new phone - old phone) as possible.

Thanks for any input anyone has!

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
Unlocking a Verizon iPhone 4 is not exactly going to benefit you.

You can buy an unlocked GSM iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5 and be fine in South America.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
If I am you, I'll sell your iP4 now (or sell it just before you leave if you still need it or as soon as your current contract expires) then buy a cheap global phone in South America (or online now while you are here - it must be so cheap & usable that you can dispose later once the unlock / global iP5 (don't know if there will ever be such a thing) is available wherever you are.

Or yeah, sell your iP4 then buy a cheap global unlock used iPhone or Droids online you like now.

Sorry, I never bought or will ever buy something in CL.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.