Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:42 PM   #26
macupdate-misha
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
I'm still having video card errors on my RMBP where the whole machine locks up. Finally called Apple, I'm just going to bring it into the store tomorrow. Sick of these freezing issues.
I've had major issues with the graphics card and system locking up, too (but very intermittently, impossible to reproduce on-demand). I sent it to Apple, they had it for 10 days and returned it saying nothing was wrong... but finally agreed to just take it back and refund my money. (I'd been without it for a month after the SSD died and it took Apple about 10 days to get that back to me... then the video issues cropped up.)

This was the 2nd of 3 Retinas I bought on day one of their release that has had graphics issues.
macupdate-misha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:34 PM   #27
undies1993
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
I'm still having video card errors on my RMBP where the whole machine locks up. Finally called Apple, I'm just going to bring it into the store tomorrow. Sick of these freezing issues.
I get tearing.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 PM   #28
cms2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by undies1993 View Post
I get tearing.
That sounds painful!
cms2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:13 AM   #29
somebody else
macrumors member

Updated the EFI and 10.8.2 together and the battery life is noticeably better. Exposť errrr mission control isn't having any issues so far, whereas before it would often only show the app's icon and not display all windows open in that app.
somebody else is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:16 AM   #30
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macupdate-misha View Post
I've had major issues with the graphics card and system locking up, too (but very intermittently, impossible to reproduce on-demand). I sent it to Apple, they had it for 10 days and returned it saying nothing was wrong... but finally agreed to just take it back and refund my money. (I'd been without it for a month after the SSD died and it took Apple about 10 days to get that back to me... then the video issues cropped up.)

This was the 2nd of 3 Retinas I bought on day one of their release that has had graphics issues.
Uh oh... I'm hoping they can just test the graphics card and it will just fail. I'm also hoping they'll just let me replace it on the spot even though I've had it for a couple months. We'll see...
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:45 AM   #31
Silmarien
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrsmth View Post
This is interesting....

I updated to 10.8.2 and checked software update afterward and I did not see the EFI update.
So, I went to Apple and manually downloaded the update and after unpacking and executing the installer it states that, "This software is not supported on your system."

Looks like the 10.8.2 and EFI updates are applied at the same time and I was just not paying attention.

Here is the current EFI and SMC info from system report:

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

The previous version of the Boot ROM was: MBP101.00EE.B00

On a related note, it looks like folks _may_ want to do an SMC reset after applying the firmware update to ensure a trouble-free post-update experience.

Here's the why and how:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6606352204
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by patopipp View Post
MBP 13''mid 2012 also has this update. MacbookPro EFI 2.9 update. Boot ROM version MBP91.00D3.B08.
I updated my 2012 cMBP to 10.8.2 but didnt see any EFI update and when I tried to do it manually it said the same thing. My Boot ROM version is the same as patopipps now so I guess the EFI update was integrated to 10.8.2? Not quite sure since I wasnt close to my laptop when it was updating. Came back after 15-20 minutes to hear that it was restarting just then.
Silmarien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:25 AM   #32
do1984
macrumors member

All up to date. Hope they fix the choppiness issue with the new 10.8.3.
Still can't get a simple smooth scrolling on "heavier" pages. Other than that, it's fine
do1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:55 AM   #33
penajmz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrsmth View Post
From your Apple menu select "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report..."

Reference the Hardware Overview page and you will find "Boot ROM Version"

If your Boot ROM Version is: MBP101.00EE.B02 you have the update
If your Boot ROM Version is: MBP101.00EE.B00 you DO NOT have the update
Thank you! I do have the update then, must have installed together with 10.8.2 and I didn't even notice.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM   #34
undies1993
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2 View Post
That sounds painful!
You have no idea.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:33 PM   #35
dvdrsmth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macupdate-misha View Post

Can you elaborate on the meaning of MAJOR INTERMITTENT graphic issues?
dvdrsmth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:19 AM   #36
Lycanthrope
macrumors 6502

The firmware update showed for me, but not the 10.8.2, so I did that. Then the 10.8.2 came along and that's applied too.

There's certainly an big improvement in the smoothness of the graphics. I mean it didn't really bother me much before, but I was aware if it. No it seems very good.

Battery life, don't know, will test it out today. On 100% charge now and it says 8:43 remaining...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:01 PM   #37
hilld
macrumors newbie

The EFI 1.0 update has been a complete disaster for me. After applying it the computer became unusable, it would completely freeze when doing any sort of finder operation. The Apple store reloaded the OS, same issue. So they replaced the logic board, that fixed the issue. The new logic board did not have the EFI firmware update, so when I went to pickup the computer, they said to update it right there in the store.

I ran some tests before updating and all is well, so off to software update and this time it wanted to apply the EFI as well as the SMC 1.0 at the same time. The system "hung" on shutdown, upon reboot the EFI installed and software update showed that the SMC didn't get applied, so another software update to install the SMC, reboot again. Start the computer and try finder operations and the machine freezes again.

Apple is going to be installing another system board , not sure how many people are having this issue, but you might want to wait on the EFI 1.0 update if you haven't applied it yet.
hilld is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion