Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
ser968
macrumors member

Remove VIP and Flagged from Email?

I don't like having these two items as folders in my mailbox view. Is there any way to remove them? I couldn't find any option in settings.
ser968 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
faizoff
macrumors regular

I'm looking for this too. I don't really care about vip or flagged.
faizoff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
bmms8
macrumors 68020

bump
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
gwaereth
macrumors newbie

Ditto. And I'm a business user, useless.
gwaereth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
TwinCitiesJHawk
macrumors regular

any solution to this yet?
TwinCitiesJHawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:35 PM   #6
metalblaze
macrumors member

VERY interested to get rid of both inboxes -- completely useless for me.
metalblaze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Carcaridon
macrumors member

Haven't seen anything about removing it yet. I moved it to the bottom so at least it's out of the way for now.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
jcortez85
macrumors newbie

I think the only way to remove the "flagged" mailbox is to unflag all the flagged messages. I didn't have the flagged mailbox so I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I flagged a message and it showed up. I un-flagged it and it disappeared.
jcortez85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:54 PM   #9
mlb32704
macrumors newbie

I am searching everywhere for a solution or workaround, nada. Yes, you can manually unflag messages but the folder remains. So many great updates in iOS6 but this is definitely not one of them. Flag and VIP folders have got to go, or at least give the option to turn off or hide. Come on Appe!
mlb32704 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:52 AM   #10
ser968
macrumors member

when all orders are unflagged, the folder disappears. Also - I reordered the mailboxes so the VIP folder is at the bottom. As such, the impact for me at least is minimized.
ser968 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:42 AM   #11
dekator
macrumors regular

Solution most welcomed

I'd like to chime in on the dissatisfaction with the new folders. Especially the "VIP" folder apparently cannot (yet?) be removed. Has anybody yet posted a question on MacFixIt (CNET Reviews)? I don't understand why pushes this on us without even an option to remove it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:49 AM   #12
J.C
macrumors regular

They can't be removed but you can tap Edit and then move then to the bottom.
J.C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
dekator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C View Post
They can't be removed but you can tap Edit and then move then to the bottom.
True, but that's not really a solution.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #14
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

It's just another example of a software company forcing you to do things its way instead of your way. Microsoft does it, too.
hakr100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Trent0341
macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people that want the worthless VIP folder gone.

Thanks for the tip to move it to the bottom at least.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:50 PM   #16
byoung0117
macrumors newbie

Annoyed

I'd also like a solution on how to get rid of the VIP and Flagged mailboxes. They are very unnecessary.
byoung0117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:08 PM   #17
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

I think VIP is one of the best features in IOS. I can't imagine why a business user wouldn't want to auto sort some emails in this fashion. Maybe you guys just get a handful of emails a day. I'm setting up a few senders as VIPS and setting a different notification level for those folks. I'm liking that and the ease to get to those emails instead of searching for them in the crowded inbox.

Now the flagged messages relies on flags being something that you use in your day to day, and I could see that not being useful. But maybe I will go back to using flags a little more and it will also become a useful device for me.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:20 PM   #18
penguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
I think VIP is one of the best features in IOS. I can't imagine why a business user wouldn't want to auto sort some emails in this fashion. Maybe you guys just get a handful of emails a day. I'm setting up a few senders as VIPS and setting a different notification level for those folks. I'm liking that and the ease to get to those emails instead of searching for them in the crowded inbox.

Now the flagged messages relies on flags being something that you use in your day to day, and I could see that not being useful. But maybe I will go back to using flags a little more and it will also become a useful device for me.
I tend to agree with you...it is surprising to find people unhappy about something pretty innocuous at worst and pretty helpful (for some). I love being able to pull out the top 5-10 people and be able to find their emails immediately.

And with several email accounts, each with over 10,000 emails, it's nice to find one place to go to find something I flagged a day ago or a month ago.

Two sides to most things...but for those that just can't stand to see the VIP box, I suppose it shouldn't be too much to ask for a way to turn it off. (it is part of Mountain Lion as well...not sure if you can turn it off vs just ignor it there, either.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:19 PM   #19
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguy View Post
Two sides to most things...but for those that just can't stand to see the VIP box, I suppose it shouldn't be too much to ask for a way to turn it off. (it is part of Mountain Lion as well...not sure if you can turn it off vs just ignor it there, either.
Well if you don't flag emails, the flagged box disappears. The VIP box can be put at the bottom of your email boxes, which if you have a few might push it off the page. Pretty innocuous complaint.

I suspect if the folks took the time to select a few VIPs the box would end up being useful enough to justify its existance.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:01 PM   #20
slugolicious
macrumors newbie

Whether VIP and Flagged mailboxes are a useful feature is subjective and somewhat irrelevant. Forcing you to use those features is relevant and shouldn't be imposed on the user. Let the user decide what's useful to them.
slugolicious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugolicious View Post
Whether VIP and Flagged mailboxes are a useful feature is subjective and somewhat irrelevant. Forcing you to use those features is relevant and shouldn't be imposed on the user. Let the user decide what's useful to them.
While there should definitely be an option for those, among many other things that don't currently have options for, you don't actually have to use them. If you don't flag anything, you won't have a Flagged folder, and you can move the VIP (and any other folder) to the bottom or top of the list, whichever would make it more out of the way for you. So, would it still be a bit annoying to see VIP somewhere on the list...perhaps...would it really be anything even close to a big deal to the vast majority of people...no, not really.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6