Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ser968

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
I don't like having these two items as folders in my mailbox view. Is there any way to remove them? I couldn't find any option in settings.

jcortez85

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
I think the only way to remove the "flagged" mailbox is to unflag all the flagged messages. I didn't have the flagged mailbox so I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I flagged a message and it showed up. I un-flagged it and it disappeared.

mlb32704

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I am searching everywhere for a solution or workaround, nada. Yes, you can manually unflag messages but the folder remains. So many great updates in iOS6 but this is definitely not one of them. Flag and VIP folders have got to go, or at least give the option to turn off or hide. Come on Appe!

ser968

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
when all orders are unflagged, the folder disappears. Also - I reordered the mailboxes so the VIP folder is at the bottom. As such, the impact for me at least is minimized.

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
Solution most welcomed

I'd like to chime in on the dissatisfaction with the new folders. Especially the "VIP" folder apparently cannot (yet?) be removed. Has anybody yet posted a question on MacFixIt (CNET Reviews)? I don't understand why :apple: pushes this on us without even an option to remove it.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
They can't be removed but you can tap Edit and then move then to the bottom.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
It's just another example of a software company forcing you to do things its way instead of your way. Microsoft does it, too.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Add me to the list of people that want the worthless VIP folder gone.

Thanks for the tip to move it to the bottom at least.

byoung0117

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Annoyed

I'd also like a solution on how to get rid of the VIP and Flagged mailboxes. They are very unnecessary.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think VIP is one of the best features in IOS. I can't imagine why a business user wouldn't want to auto sort some emails in this fashion. Maybe you guys just get a handful of emails a day. I'm setting up a few senders as VIPS and setting a different notification level for those folks. I'm liking that and the ease to get to those emails instead of searching for them in the crowded inbox.

Now the flagged messages relies on flags being something that you use in your day to day, and I could see that not being useful. But maybe I will go back to using flags a little more and it will also become a useful device for me.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I think VIP is one of the best features in IOS. I can't imagine why a business user wouldn't want to auto sort some emails in this fashion. Maybe you guys just get a handful of emails a day. I'm setting up a few senders as VIPS and setting a different notification level for those folks. I'm liking that and the ease to get to those emails instead of searching for them in the crowded inbox.

Now the flagged messages relies on flags being something that you use in your day to day, and I could see that not being useful. But maybe I will go back to using flags a little more and it will also become a useful device for me.

I tend to agree with you...it is surprising to find people unhappy about something pretty innocuous at worst and pretty helpful (for some). I love being able to pull out the top 5-10 people and be able to find their emails immediately.

And with several email accounts, each with over 10,000 emails, it's nice to find one place to go to find something I flagged a day ago or a month ago.

Two sides to most things...but for those that just can't stand to see the VIP box, I suppose it shouldn't be too much to ask for a way to turn it off. (it is part of Mountain Lion as well...not sure if you can turn it off vs just ignor it there, either.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Two sides to most things...but for those that just can't stand to see the VIP box, I suppose it shouldn't be too much to ask for a way to turn it off. (it is part of Mountain Lion as well...not sure if you can turn it off vs just ignor it there, either.

Well if you don't flag emails, the flagged box disappears. The VIP box can be put at the bottom of your email boxes, which if you have a few might push it off the page. Pretty innocuous complaint.

I suspect if the folks took the time to select a few VIPs the box would end up being useful enough to justify its existance.

slugolicious

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Whether VIP and Flagged mailboxes are a useful feature is subjective and somewhat irrelevant. Forcing you to use those features is relevant and shouldn't be imposed on the user. Let the user decide what's useful to them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Whether VIP and Flagged mailboxes are a useful feature is subjective and somewhat irrelevant. Forcing you to use those features is relevant and shouldn't be imposed on the user. Let the user decide what's useful to them.
While there should definitely be an option for those, among many other things that don't currently have options for, you don't actually have to use them. If you don't flag anything, you won't have a Flagged folder, and you can move the VIP (and any other folder) to the bottom or top of the list, whichever would make it more out of the way for you. So, would it still be a bit annoying to see VIP somewhere on the list...perhaps...would it really be anything even close to a big deal to the vast majority of people...no, not really.

walkrrrr

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
yes, you can remove the "VIP" and "flagged" mailboxes on iPhone 6

After starting to read through this thread, I just clicked on "edit" and each mailbox then got a dot displayed next to it which I could click on or off. So I clicked OFF both of these annoying mailboxes, and they're successfully hidden.

And btw, I *did* unflag all my emails and there WAS still a "flagged" mailbox showing, until I hid it.

MasterGardener

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
OS X Yosemite Mail (Flagged)

Removing 'Flagged' icon for an unread email that I cannot locate.
This is making me feel a bit crazy because I am new to Yosemite & inadvertently starred/flagged or did some such wizardry to an email that is gone into the ether and cannot be retrieved to alter and thereby remove its flag. *Gah! There must be an override key! ? Is there a way to get it gone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Removing 'Flagged' icon for an unread email that I cannot locate.
This is making me feel a bit crazy because I am new to Yosemite & inadvertently starred/flagged or did some such wizardry to an email that is gone into the ether and cannot be retrieved to alter and thereby remove its flag. *Gah! There must be an override key! ? Is there a way to get it gone?
This is all really about an older version of iOS. You might want to try the Mac section. The underlying idea would be to sort by flagged or search by flagged which should bring up any such emails where you can then unflag them if you want.

MasterGardener

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
This is all really about an older version of iOS. You might want to try the Mac section. The underlying idea would be to sort by flagged or search by flagged which should bring up any such emails where you can then unflag them if you want.

Great, will do, & C DM; thanks for the response!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.