Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I thought iOS 6 was supposed to enable you to sync your phone number with your iPad so if a iMessage was sent to your phone with your phone number, it will also show on your iPad. But, I don't see the option anywhere.

illicium

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
I don't see the option either. I'm hoping it works behind the scenes. I will have someone test it with me.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
It took about 20 minutes and then it updated. I was able to go into Messages on my iPad and my number finally showed up, I chose to use it and then I got a pop up on my iPhone telling me iMessages were synced using my phone number.

alainking

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa
I figured out if you turn it off on your phone and then on again, it will speed up the process.

Also note that you have to select to receive messages at the number on your iPad (click on the number).

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sorry for the bump, but none of the iMessages I send and receive on my phone shows up on my iPad despite my number being selected.

What is going on?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Sorry for the bump, but none of the iMessages I send and receive on my phone shows up on my iPad despite my number being selected.

What is going on?

Mine worked for a few days then stopped. I just turned iMessage on and off on both devices and its working again. Just had my fiancé test it for me.

ugadawgs311

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I had this same issue. I tried turning iMessage off and back on again on my iPad, but that didn't fix it. I'll try turning iMessage off/on on both the iPad and iPhone and see if that works. This was really convenient when it was functioning after the iOS 6 update.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I had this same issue. I tried turning iMessage off and back on again on my iPad, but that didn't fix it. I'll try turning iMessage off/on on both the iPad and iPhone and see if that works. This was really convenient when it was functioning after the iOS 6 update.

Trying turn iMessage off on both devices. Then turn back on iPhone and wait for it to activate. Then turn back on on iPad. You may still need to set your phone # as the send from address via settings

Smurfqq

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Has anyone figured anything more out?

No matter what I do, if it gets sent to my apple id email, I receive it only on my iPad. If it gets sent to my phone number I only receive it on my iPhone.

I remember at least on iOS 5 I received on both when sent to email.

Edit: Ook so got mine to work now. I followed swordfish's advice in turning iMessage on first on the iPhone then the iPad afterwards. The iPhone didn't activate at first but apparently because I was on wifi and it has to be on cellular for some reason. Afterwards I had to wait 20-30 min for it to start working correctly.

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I wish all messages could be received on the iPad and not just ones from people using iDevices. Would make life easier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.