Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Gryz
macrumors member

How to restore apps after iOS 6 upgrade?

Went ahead and backed up my iphone 4 in itunes to the cloud. Did a restore to return it to factory settings, then it downloaded and installed iOS6 on it. Did another restore but it never asked me if I wanted the restore from the cloud.

All my apps are missing, but my contacts and photos are still there....

Any advice?
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Gryz
macrumors member

After looking in my icloud settings, it looks like all my apps are stored in a backup from earlier today...now I just need to figure out how to select that specific backup to bring them back... tips?
Gryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:08 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

No idea why you restored it to factory settings.

This happened to my mother in law the other week when her new iPhone arrived.

After calling Apple, it came out that you can only select and restore from backups that were made on the same iOS version that your current phone is on.

The backup just won't show up when your setting up the phone if it was backed up on an older version.

By Backing up, reseting to factory settings and then restoring and updating your iOS version you have shot yourself in the foot.

No idea why you felt the need to do that.

You should have just tapped the update button like everyone else.

Last edited by jabingla2810; Dec 4, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
jabingla2810 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
No idea why you restored it to factory settings.

This happened to my mother in law the other week when her new iPhone arrived.

After calling Apple, it came out that you can only select and restore from backups that were made on the same iOS version that your current phone is on.

The backup just won't show up when your setting up the phone if it was backed up on an older version.

By Backing up, reseting to factory settings and then restoring and updating your iOS version you have shot yourself in the foot.

No idea why you felt the need to do that.

You should have just tapped the update button like everyone else.
Thats not correct, I've upgraded several times, i.e. Iphone 3G (iOS 4) to iphone 4s (iOS 5) and then 4s (iOS5) to 5 (iOS6) and each time have restored from backup of the previous phone on the previous iOS version. If apple didn't allow this it would be a pain each time you upgrade as almost everytime a device is launched with a new iOS which your current device may not support.

What you can't do is restore a backup from a higher iOS version to a lower iOS version device. i.e restore backup from iOS 6 to a device running iOS 5.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Thats not correct, I've upgraded several times, i.e. Iphone 3G (iOS 4) to iphone 4s (iOS 5) and then 4s (iOS5) to 5 (iOS6) and each time have restored from backup of the previous phone on the previous iOS version. If apple didn't allow this it would be a pain each time you upgrade as almost everytime a device is launched with a new iOS which your current device may not support.

What you can't do is restore a backup from a higher iOS version to a lower iOS version device. i.e restore backup from iOS 6 to a device running iOS 5.
Ah right.

Makes sense.

My girlfriends mother in law had this problem:

iPhone 3GS on iOS 6.0.1

New iPhone 4s arrived on iOS 6.0.0...

The iPhone 4s would not show the iPhone 3GS's backup. We had to set the 4s up as a new device, update to iOS 6.0.1 which had been released the day before. Then Clear all content and settings, and then it would show the iCloud back up.

So the OP is having the oppositte problem... I think..... i've gone cross eyed a bit.

Anyway, one of my points still stands, there was no need to do all those steps, just hitting update would have done.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6