Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
It's a very strange decision- to make the app store virtually unusable as the number of apps in it only increases. I can't imagine what the motivation is. Search- one app at a time in the results? Charts- only 3&1/2 apps viewable in the list at a time, with no ratings? Why go through so much effort to make the store much less usable? The redesign is quite ridiculous, and it's very disappointing to know that it will be so much more difficult to find apps now.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
These are the kinds of things that will sort themselves out somewhat quickly. If they find that app sales fall off of a cliff in the next week or two as a result of the new store, I can promise you that they'll be all over making changes as necessary. They aren't going to let a layout kill sales for too long.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
It's a very strange decision- to make the app store virtually unusable as the number of apps in it only increases. I can't imagine what the motivation is. Search- one app at a time in the results? Charts- only 3&1/2 apps viewable in the list at a time, with no ratings? Why go through so much effort to make the store much less usable? The redesign is quite ridiculous, and it's very disappointing to know that it will be so much more difficult to find apps now.

You know you can click on something called see all to get the list right and you get the top what ever and the ratings. Its on the top right of each section of 3

ernbrdn

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
You know you can click on something called see all to get the list right and you get the top what ever and the ratings. Its on the top right of each section of 3

Unfortunately this doesn't work when your searching apps, searching for an app is almost utterly unusable. I don't forsee this layout lasting too terribly long, actually I'm surprised it lasted throughout the betas, being Devs were mainly involved and all.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
The only thing destroyed is the Reviews section. I can't see more than 5 at a time and it's not sorted by newest one first. Other than that, the new App Store looks pretty snazzy.

ernbrdn

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
It is a huge improvement. However, some people can't deal with change.

If it is a huge improvement I must just be missing the point. Completely possible, but I know for a fact when I think i want an app for say "task manager" because for whatever reason I'm fed up with the one I currently use. I do not have time or the patience to scroll through 718 apps one at a time. So for some it might be great, but for me I just won't use it.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I personally feel like the new App Store is a disaster. I bet a lot of devs, including myself, are going to lose a ton of sales starting tomorrow.

The biggest issue I have is with Search and the cards. To have to flick through each one is just tedious... and for what? So we can see the first screenshot on the card? What a waste of space and ease of use. I just DON'T GET IT.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
As a consumer, I love the new App Store. If I'm searching, I'm expecting the top 10 results to be most relevant so the full screen is fine for me. It's nice to see the app interface without having to dig deeper.

Browsing by category, the old vertical list is still there, so you can scroll fast through a list just like before. It's a win in my book.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I remember when everyone use to complain about how outdated the App Store was and how it needed to be re-done. Now that it's re-done, everyone wants the old App store back... Classic.

For some reason, my App Store has reverted back to the old iOS 5 version, but has kept the iOS 6 theme... Kinda strange and it seems more glitchy like this. (Working perfect on a family member's iPhone 4s... So not really sure what happened here)

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
This was my thought on looking at the new app store. What it is, is that you see less apps per scroll. Rather than scrolling horizontally, it should be vertically as you can see more apps going down since the iPhone is longer than it is wider.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The new App Store is simply unusable and makes absolutely no sense at all. The new App Store is counterintuitive. The 'cards' feature makes searching for apps difficult and cumbersome. The layout is atrocious -- it's as if the App Store layout was designed to accommodate phones with really large screens. We are all using 3.5 inch screens!!!!! It makes no sense at all!!!!!!!

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I think someone at Apple who didn't know better decided to spend a lot of money on purchasing a company called Chomp to strengthen the AppStore.

The AppStore was just fine as it was but they were forced to revamp the AppStore to justify the purchase of Chomp.

Just my li'l theory.

kyssi1

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I'd like them to fix the part where you view the example pictures. The photos used to snap into place when you swipe through them, and now they don't. Highly annoying. Other than that, no problem with the new App Store. Maybe it'll help curb my app spending.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.