Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:53 PM   #1
agiorgiox
macrumors newbie

DESPERATE FOR HELP!!!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I desperately need some help! I have an Ipod for Windows. Well I have noticed that my ipod doesnt hold its charge well. It will un-charge fairly quick, and without it beig used. Can someone please explain why. By the way I got for Christmas so its fairly new, and hardly used.

My biggest problem however, is the following. When I first got my ipod I had MSN. I have now recently changed my internet to dsl from dial up. Could someone please explain to me how to change the internet connection for iTunes. It doesnt let me go to the mac store to download songs, and wont get the name of songs automatically when I put a CD in. Im pretty sure its because iTunes thinks that im still on dial up and not connected to the internet. Can someone please help me!
agiorgiox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Billicus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiorgiox
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I desperately need some help! I have an Ipod for Windows. Well I have noticed that my ipod doesnt hold its charge well. It will un-charge fairly quick, and without it beig used. Can someone please explain why. By the way I got for Christmas so its fairly new, and hardly used.
Well, I guess I should ask how fast the iPod is draining, because batteries slowly lose energy if they aren't used (especially if you have synced your clock and it has to continually compute the time.)

Quote:
My biggest problem however, is the following. When I first got my ipod I had MSN. I have now recently changed my internet to dsl from dial up. Could someone please explain to me how to change the internet connection for iTunes. It doesnt let me go to the mac store to download songs, and wont get the name of songs automatically when I put a CD in. Im pretty sure its because iTunes thinks that im still on dial up and not connected to the internet. Can someone please help me!
To change your preferences here, select the iTunes menu in the upper left and select preferences. (This may be under a different menu if you are using a PC, which you said you were? ) Then check the box next to "Connect to the Internet when needed." Also, if you can't see the Music Store, under Store preferences make sure the button next to "Show Music Store" is checked.

Billicus
Old Aug 18, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
agiorgiox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billicus
Well, I guess I should ask how fast the iPod is draining, because batteries slowly lose energy if they aren't used (especially if you have synced your clock and it has to continually compute the time.)
Thank you very much for showing me how to change my internet connection. It worked just as you explained it. Thanks.

Well if its fully charged and I use it, for a little bit (30 mins), leave it not charging. The next time I check it (24 hours) it'll be completely drained. How can I sync my clock? Im not very computer literate. Thanks

Last edited by agiorgiox; Aug 18, 2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Billicus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thank you very much for showing me how to change my internet connection. It worked just as you explained it. Thanks.

Well if its fully charged and I use it, for a little bit (30 mins), leave it not charging. The next time I check it (24 hours) it'll be completely drained. How can I sync my clock? Im not very computer literate. Thanks
I can't remember how I managed to get the clock onto my iPod at one time either, I think it was iSync under an earlier version of OS X. If you can't find it in your iPod, then don't worry about that. Make sure you're shutting the iPod off after you use it (holding the play button for a few seconds) and not just letting it sit there.

Billicus
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
StealthRider
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to StealthRider
What model iPod do you have?
StealthRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I've had my iPod (a 40GB photo) since February, and I haven't used it for a week. I'm not sure how completely it was charged then, but it's about 3/4 charged now.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:10 PM   #7
Whyren
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Whyren
I'm not sure about the newer iPods, but I noticed that if I had my iPod off and left Hold on, it drained faster than if Hold was off.

QS02 800MHz G4 + 768 RAM + 300 GB HD + NVidia GeForce4 MX
2G 10 GB iPod + 512 shuffle
last.fm + music mobs + itunes registry
Whyren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:33 AM   #8
Balin64
macrumors 6502a

Did you set the alarm function by chance?

If you did, the iPod will play music every day for two hours. It will considerably drain the battery.
Balin64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:49 AM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyren
I'm not sure about the newer iPods, but I noticed that if I had my iPod off and left Hold on, it drained faster than if Hold was off.

That's interesting, you got any figures on that?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:55 AM   #10
agiorgiox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin64
Did you set the alarm function by chance?

If you did, the iPod will play music every day for two hours. It will considerably drain the battery.
Oh my goodness! I had an alarm for 1:05 am. No wonder it would drain the battery! Thanks guys. I hope this fixes it. I have the new 4th generation. Anything else that can possibly drain the battery. You guys are great.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:32 AM   #11
Nermal

You should fully discharge and recharge the iPod every month. This keeps the battery running properly.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:34 AM   #12
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
You should fully discharge and recharge the iPod every month. This keeps the battery running properly.

Thanks Nermal. I've always wondered if iPods needed calibrating too and I've been meaning to start a thread on that. I figured they would since they're Li-Ion too (I think), but I haven't found anything on Apple's site about it. I try to do it monthly all the same.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:34 AM   #13
kalisphoenix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Don't tell Adam_Ant that. He thinks you're supposed to short-circuit it to keep it running properly.
kalisphoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:44 AM   #14
sambo.
macrumors regular

$0.02

another customer discovers the battery in an iPod surx
ma+ k+++ !F5 X+++@
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
sambo. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:57 AM   #15
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo.
If it's only got a 30 minute charge left after listening for 30 minutes then there's something wrong with it and if he takes it into an Apple store and shows them it, chances are they'll get it sorted/replaced if they can recreate that. Btw, have you got the backlight permanently on? That would drain the battery fairly quickly too.

The battery on an iPod isn't that bad - particularly the 4G ones. I've gone from London to San Francisco on a single charge when it was on for pretty much 10 hours continuously plus a couple of either side of that.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 07:37 AM   #16
the_freddinator
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to the_freddinator
A couple other ways that would drain the iPod's battery are:

a) if you're songs are in a high-quality format- iPods work best w/ AAC's
b) heat- If you have the iPod in your pocket or perhaps sitting in the sun or whatever that could cause a problem
c) Your case is severe, but my first iPod had some problems holding it's charge. I can't quite remember if it was to the extent of your problem. I remember having it in my side pocket (on painter's pants) throughout school then pulling it out on the bus to find I had less than half battery. (yes it was off and on hold the whole time..i'm not an idiot)

Whatever the problem..if turning off the alarm didn't fix it, call up apple or bring it to the apple store. They'll make sure to give you a refurb'd iPod that'll break in a another few months
the_freddinator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 07:56 AM   #17
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo.
Did you read all the posts?

The OP said that he had the alarm set for 1AM and so everyday it was playing music for 2 hours.

No wonder it was dead.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod