Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BladeLWS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
1. Go to maps.google.com
2. Add to home screen
3. Move Apple Maps to nondescript folder for crap.
4. Move Google Maps icon to its place.

Enjoy fanboy rage fest.

luke707

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
1. Go to maps.google.com
2. Add to home screen

Enjoy fanboy rage fest.

I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is reading the comments on here but I like it.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Let's make predictions on when Google will release Google Maps for iOS 6.

I say within the week.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They've approved the YouTube app... Chrome browser... Gmail app... So yes, hopefully Maps too.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
We need a Google "Street View" App ASAP!

1. Go to maps.google.com
2. Add to home screen

Enjoy fanboy rage fest.

Unfortunately, maps.google.com doesn't support "Street View" on iOS devices as it requires Adobe Flash Player, which isn't supported on iOS. :(

I sure hope Google offers a decent Google "street view" App for iOS6 devices "soon", as I find it extremely useful to see a street view of my map destination before I get there.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Why is Apple Maps bad? I know it doesn't offer street view, bus and walking routes but besides that I was looking forward to it.. Loop me in

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
What do you think the chances are that the new Google Maps app (assuming it's coming) will have turn-by-turn navigation?

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Apple has been getting a lot of bad press for denying apps, specifically stuff from Google (Google Voice anyone?). Add that to the negative press that is likely to come from the new Apple Maps, I seriously doubt Apple would make the PR disaster of denying a Google Maps app, beyond PR disaster, Apple would likely be skirting some Anti-Trust lines with that as well.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Apple would likely be skirting some Anti-Trust lines with that as well.

They don't own a lion's share of the smartphone market since collectively android likely still beats them, so I don't think there are close to skirting AT Law here.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
And why would google make it easy for us? I am sure they will take at least a full month to release their application JUST so all iPhone users can experience how ****** apple's maps are, ensuring that no one ever opens it up more than once.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
And why would google make it easy for us? I am sure they will take at least a full month to release their application JUST so all iPhone users can experience how ****** apple's maps are, ensuring that no one ever opens it up more than once.

Google isn't about trying to hobble things too bad on iOS to promote android (they make more of their money off of iOS actually). They make their money off of info gathered/advertising, so android is just there really to help with that. They can still make money off of iOS (until apple totally shuts them out).

I know at least on their G+ app I've seen them give iOS features before Android (though there are some features they never gave iOS at all. But the ones that iOS got first were pretty big ones if I remember correctly).

So, google doesn't really play that way.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Google isn't about trying to hobble things too bad on iOS to promote android (they make more of their money off of iOS actually). They make their money off of info gathered/advertising, so android is just there really to help with that. They can still make money off of iOS (until apple totally shuts them out).

I know at least on their G+ app I've seen them give iOS features before Android (though there are some features they never gave iOS at all. But the ones that iOS got first were pretty big ones if I remember correctly).

So, google doesn't really play that way.

I really really hope you're right. I need google maps, man..

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why is Apple Maps bad? I know it doesn't offer street view, bus and walking routes but besides that I was looking forward to it.. Loop me in

Because a few snoty people found A problem with it and now they hate it. I think it has a lot of potential. The maps need some updating, but that's true with ALL maps. Some will update certain things quicker than others. I really liked the voice directions better because the voice is more human than my Magellan app and she didn't give me instructions every 10 feet and yell RECALCULATING all the time.

Put an audio control button in there, allow some modifications (speed limit, time to destination, etc.) and it's a winner. I already like the ability to set my route using Siri.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
They'll approve it, but they won't let you change the default map application like they did with chrome.

I was able to change default browser app with a jailbreak tweak so hopefully WHEN the google maps app is released and WHEN we get the jailbreak - then we can do this ourselves. iOS is pretty boring without the jailbreak anyways. A jailbroken iPhone 5 though will be way better and more stable than any android device - and I've owned quite a few of them including the S3 that android folks loves so much.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Google maps ios1-5 sucked and was severely outdated even when compared to how it ran on all other applications. And due to contract turn by turn was not allowed by apple. I think more people would have lost interest in the IP5 due to the lack of TBT nav if they kept g-maps. However, the maps are by tom tom and it shouldn't be long before its fully up and running.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I think I'm going to really like Apple Maps for the turn by turn, mostly because my GPS needs an update and I don't want to drop $100+ to do it. I think the app in general has potential, but right now I'm not looking for "potential" I'm looking for functional.

Fact is, I trust Google Maps far more with public transportation info, and if I'm in an unfamiliar city, I prefer to have detailed labeling for buildings, which Apple Maps lacks at the moment.

I'm sure in the future Apple Maps will be excellent, but as of right now I'm more frustrated, and I have it moved to a page further back while I have the Safari link on my home page.

It sure does look pretty, though.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
My biggest disappointment in the new maps is the lack of "traffic" flow

Driving 40 miles to and from work I relied on this to get ahead of accidents and delays on i95, this new one sucks for that.

Glad I can still use the above method!

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I think I'm going to really like Apple Maps for the turn by turn, mostly because my GPS needs an update and I don't want to drop $100+ to do it. I think the app in general has potential, but right now I'm not looking for "potential" I'm looking for functional.

Fact is, I trust Google Maps far more with public transportation info, and if I'm in an unfamiliar city, I prefer to have detailed labeling for buildings, which Apple Maps lacks at the moment.

I'm sure in the future Apple Maps will be excellent, but as of right now I'm more frustrated, and I have it moved to a page further back while I have the Safari link on my home page.

It sure does look pretty, though.

I'm still waiting for iOS 6 to install...but I will miss street view which I use for work a lot...and having public transportation was very convenient. does anyone know if APPLE has committed to either of these?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Because a few snoty people found A problem with it and now they hate it.
A few???? Did you see the apple maps disaster thread on this board?? As of now it has well over 1100 replies, meaning it is one of the longest threads ever on this entire site....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.