Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts

Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
ButcherChop
macrumors newbie

A gave me his iPhone 4S (CDMA) to punch my # in, but walked off and left it with me..

I'm at a gay bar in Los Angeles (already a great story, i know), in the parking lot getting out of a car actually, and this really hot drunk dude walks up and wants my #. He's too drunk to put my # on his iPhone 4S work phone (CDMA/Verizon) so he hands me his phone so I can do it. His ride is tired of waiting and he starts driving off. This guy walks fast after him, I continue putting my # in, I look up and he's gone. I figure he forgot and he'll call his phone almost instantly but doesnt. He doesnt call that night, nor for a whole week. Finally his dad calls his phone and i pick up. I tell him I have his son's phone. I give the dad my personal cell # and the son finally calls me 2 days later and I tell him he can pick it up anytime. After telling him I live 90 miles from him, he sounds uninterested in coming to get it. I tell him I can always mail it to him and he says, "well, let me talk to my IT guy". He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.

With that said, what should I do? I feel like jailbreaking the phone, but a CDMA phone wouldnt do me any good since I'm on AT&T. Plus, it's just a jailbreak and not a root, if it were an Android phone I probably would of already rooted it. I can use it as an iTouch and replace my 3GS with it. Maybe sell it on Craigslist.

What should I do?

Last edited by ButcherChop; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
ButcherChop is offline   1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
wellok
macrumors 6502

Mail it to the company. I imagine you can figure out the company from the email or other info on the phone.
wellok is offline   3
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Give it to Verizon or Sprint, whichever is the carrier.
GeekLawyer is offline   7
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherChop View Post
I'm at a gay bar in Los Angeles (already a great story, i know) and this really hot drunk dude walks up and wants my #. He's too drunk to put my # on his iPhone 4S work phone (CDMA/Verizon) so he hands me his phone so I can do it. His ride is tired of waiting and he starts driving off. This guy walks fast after him, I continue putting my # in, I look up and he's gone. I figure he forgot and he'll call his phone almost instantly but doesnt. He doesnt call that night, nor for a whole week. Finally his dad calls his phone and i pick up. I tell him I have his son's phone. The son finally calls me 2 days later and I tell him he can pick it up anytime. After telling him I live 90 miles from him, he sounds uninterested in coming to get it. I tell him I can always mail it to him and he says, "well, let me talk to my IT guy". He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.

With that said, what should I do? I feel like jailbreaking the phone, but that wouldnt do me any good. Its just a jailbreak and not a root, if it were an Android phone I probably would of already rooted it. I can use it as an iTouch and replace my 3GS with it. Maybe sell it on Craigslist.

What should I do?
Any post like this is going to get a bunch of responses from Dudley Do-Rights telling you about karma and what not...

in order to save you from the headache and hassle, just give it to me. I have an iphone 4 with a cracked screen and didnt really want ($$$) to upgrade to an iphone 5. That way, you get some good karma, giving it to someone who could use it, and you won't get bad karma for accidentally stealing (borrowing) some drunk guys iphone.

fair?
iamjose is offline   17
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
sviato
macrumors 68000

just sell it at this point, it was a company phone and the other guy doesn't seem to care about getting it back
sviato is offline   4
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:17 PM   #6
macMD
macrumors 6502

Ship it back to him, karma is a bitch and she usually kicks you right in the sack.
macMD is offline   4
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:21 PM   #7
MR1324
macrumors 6502

it sounds like he was trying to hint that he was interested in seeing you. he did say" I'll just get it whenever I see you again," so i am guessing he was hoping you would ask him out.
MR1324 is offline   10
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherChop View Post
He calls me back a few hours later and tells me his IT guy already ordered him a new phone and he's in no hurry to get this phone back. He actually says, "well, I don't know, maybe I guess I'll just get it whenever I see you again". WIth that said, I don't feel like holding it or being responsible for his phone, its not like Im going to take it with me everytime I go out. I don't know where he works, his dad called from a private # and the phone is pin locked so I have no access to his contacts. It's been about 2 months now.
Done deal. You tried to get it back to him but he has to make the moves. If you told him you could mail it to him, did he give you his address? Even then, as you said you're under no obligation to go out of your way to return this property to this guy if he doesn't want to expend the effort. If I lost my gear and someone went out of their way to find me, i'd send them postage + enough for a nice meal and a pack of smokes. I say enjoy your new iPhone 4S. If he doesn't want it back there ain't nothing you can do.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
aquadisiac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjose View Post
Any post like this is going to get a bunch of responses from Dudley Do-Rights telling you about karma and what not...

in order to save you from the headache and hassle, just give it to me. I have an iphone 4 with a cracked screen and didnt really want ($$$) to upgrade to an iphone 5. That way, you get some good karma, giving it to someone who could use it, and you won't get bad karma for accidentally stealing (borrowing) some drunk guys iphone.

fair?
prove it.
Time Capsule
aquadisiac is offline   2
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadisiac View Post
prove it.
Prove what exactly?
iamjose is offline   4
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #11
dgamer1
macrumors newbie

Congrats, this person now is stalking you through find my iPhone and is outside your window right now :O!
dgamer1 is offline   10
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
chris2k5
Banned

Track him down. You two were meant for each other!

This guys is actually a GENIUS! He made sure you have his phone so there is a good chance you'll meet him again.

chris2k5 is offline   5
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #13
greytmom
macrumors 68000

A very convoluted (and potentially expensive) pick up line.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
aquadisiac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjose View Post
Prove what exactly?
im not even going to bother if you dont get it
Time Capsule
aquadisiac is offline   1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Chuck-Norris
Banned

just keep it he doesnt give a hoot and gettign a new phone

do whatever u wish, just restore it, wipeit and use it

karma eh, what would happen
Chuck-Norris is offline   2
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Nikos
macrumors 65816

You've already made more than an effort to get it back to him and two months have passed. He obviously doesn't care to get it back and already has a replacement. Use it, sell it or do whatever you wish with it.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #17
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
You've already made more than an effort to get it back to him and two months have passed. He obviously doesn't care to get it back and already has a replacement. Use it, sell it or do whatever you wish with it.
Agreed. You offered to mail it and he declined so just sell it on Craigslist.
austinguy23 is offline   1
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 AM   #18
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadisiac View Post
im not even going to bother if you dont get it
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348120489.784406.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	359388

Here you go... If that is what you meant.
iamjose is offline   11
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:40 AM   #19
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Thread delivers.
TM WAZZA is offline   6
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:50 AM   #20
kannesss
Banned

I would just sell it on Craigslist unless you like him. He might think its cute that you saved it for him.
kannesss is offline   2
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:11 AM   #21
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 65816

Is there a photo of the drunk dude that left you his iPhone in PHOTOS, or is that not permitted?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:27 AM   #22
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellok View Post
Mail it to the company. I imagine you can figure out the company from the email or other info on the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
Is there a photo of the drunk dude that left you his iPhone in PHOTOS, or is that not permitted?
He said right in the post that the phone is locked.
---------------------------------------------------------------

For those saying to use it or sell it....the guy didn't care about getting it back because it wasn't his, it was his employers. I'd imagine they reported the phone lost in the process of getting the replacement. Most likely not going to be able to activate it.

My vote also goes to giving it to iamjose
aztooh is offline   2
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:30 AM   #23
Built
macrumors 68020

I was at Here in Weho and I literally look down and there's an iPhone at my feet. I turn it in to the bartender, and probably an hour later, when I'm in a completely different area of the bar, I see some guy wandering around lookimg at the floor. Something told me to ask him if he lost a phone. He did and I directed him back to the bartender who had it.

I just wonder how many iPhones are lost/stolen/recovered in a place like Here...and how many are just pocketed by whoever finds them. Personally, even if the hot mess that you met gave you his phone, the right thing to do is return it. But that's just me.

BTW, "hot" and "drunk" cancel each other out. The guy sounds like a real prince.
Built is offline   2
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:55 AM   #24
ButcherChop
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
BTW, "hot" and "drunk" cancel each other out. The guy sounds like a real prince.
Haha. Well, it was at a beer bust and the whole point of those is to drink a lot, plus he was only like 30 so he gets a pass. If he were like 50 and drunk as hell, that'd be a different story.

And you're right about finding phones. This is like the 6th iPhone I have found out and about in the past 3-4 years. I have some serious luck with these things. #drunkbitches (both male and female).
ButcherChop is offline   2
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:02 AM   #25
Let's Sekuhara!
macrumors 6502

1. DFU restore.
2. Post on ebay.
3. Let the buyer figure out how to connect it to whatever CDMA network.
4. Move on with your life.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts