Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSBR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Anyone else experiencing this problem? Everything was fine before today. I downloaded and installed all the OS X and iOS updates today (a whole crap load of them! :) ) and now Aperture crashes every time I launch it. Sometimes it says the database is corrupted and wants to rebuild it, which it does, and then it again crashes. Other times it just crashes immediately. Hmm.... this is bad.

Of course, I filed a bug report and uploaded all of the crash reports.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how to revert an update?

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Same situation here.

----------

UPDATE: I got the latest version of Aperture to launch successfully by deleting all preference files that mention Aperture in ~/Library/Preferences.

DVDSBR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012

UPDATE: I got the latest version of Aperture to launch successfully by deleting all preference files that mention Aperture in ~/Library/Preferences.

Great, that fixed it for me too. I'm up and running. Thank you so much!

I'll buy you a beer or a lemonade next time I see you :)

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I got to the part where I figured out it's problem with Facebook plugin based on the console log. I got it to work by disabling the plug-in manually. But I like your solution much better!! Thanks!

But now, everytime I try to setup the Facebook account, it crashes.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
This sucks. It crashed twice, then I saw this posting, and now it launched and it's repairing my library. I sure hope nothing got messed up, because when it crashed it was in the middle of upgrading the library.

Now, after it launched, I re-entered my Facebook credentials, and then it crashed again. Argh.

Last edited:

wlewis

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Can fix it with Xcode

If you edit your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist file with Xcode, do a Find for "Facebook" and delete all the keys/root keys for the shown entries (I had 5) and save your file you should be able to open Aperture again without losing all your other preferences.

jakn09ab

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
I dont have the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist file. Should it be shown? This is really annoying.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I've just encountered this issue too.
Have deleted the com.apple.aperture.plist file and it now works as it should.

Hopefully Apple will sort stuff out and quickly as this should never have happened.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
If you edit your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist file with Xcode, do a Find for "Facebook" and delete all the keys/root keys for the shown entries (I had 5) and save your file you should be able to open Aperture again without losing all your other preferences.

worked a treat

franciscosjb

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mexico City - Kobol
It wont work for me neither, it asks me for a serial number when I launch the app, its so weird since I bought it from the App Store!! you dont get codes from there! WTF!!!

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Maybe the facebook fail is a nudge to use shared photo streams, which of course require an iOS 6 device.

I'm kidding of course because I don't buy into the claims that Apple is up to no good....but....

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I dont have the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist file. Should it be shown? This is really annoying.

Same here...

Use the UNIX shell (Terminal).

How? I googled, but could seem to find a clear answer. Should i be using FIND or LOCATE? What should the string I enter look like to find the Aperture.plist as I have no desire to delete all my preferences because Apple released a crap update.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Google how to show library in Lion. You will easily find it. Uses terminal and the chflags command

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Same problem, different solution (got this from Apple Aperture support)

Delete the Aperture app from your Applications folder.
Download the Aperture trial app (it will be v3.1)
Update via the App store to 3.4

All better.

In fact, the Apple rep told me I'd need my serial numbers, but after updating the trial (3.1) to 3.4, the app is up and running without a hitch.

Can't explain it - but it works. And I didn't have to trash my prefs.

My $0.02

Adam

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Google how to show library in Lion. You will easily find it. Uses terminal and the chflags command

Hold Option while clicking the Go menu in Finder will allow access to the Library. Found the file and deleted. Up and running again. Thanks, i didnt know there was a "new secret" library. Stupid Apple.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008

In the Finder, hold down the Option key while clicking on the Go menu. The Library Folder is only visible in this menu while holding down Option. A "brilliant" enhancement brought to us by Lion and later.:rolleyes:

KC2

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
It looks like 3.4.1 came out today? Has it fixed this?

Couldn't tell you since I did the delete plist fix, but the description of the update would suggest "yes."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 8.19.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 8.19.04 PM.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.