Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Has Apple completely separated Podcasts from the Music section with iOS 6? I have an iPad 2 running 5.1.1 and it is the main device I use to listen to Podcasts, mainly synced with my computer.

The Podcasts app is garbage, it is unusable - I cannot sync the podcasts I've listened to with my computer, I have to play each Podcast separately (not an option when I am driving) and since I subscribe to custom feeds, a lot of the Podcasts are unretrievable through the app. I do not use iCloud.

Anybody with insight into this matter? This is the only real issue preventing me from jumping to the new version...Podcasts are not so great on the iOS 5 music player, but they are manageable with playlists (still a pain in the neck if you ask me).

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Yes they removed it from music. You have to use apple's podcast app. And it should sync podcasts from iTunes on your computer and you can also add feed urls as well

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Has Apple completely separated Podcasts from the Music section with iOS 6? I have an iPad 2 running 5.1.1 and it is the main device I use to listen to Podcasts, mainly synced with my computer.

The Podcasts app is garbage, it is unusable - I cannot sync the podcasts I've listened to with my computer, I have to play each Podcast separately (not an option when I am driving) and since I subscribe to custom feeds, a lot of the Podcasts are unretrievable through the app. I do not use iCloud.

Anybody with insight into this matter? This is the only real issue preventing me from jumping to the new version...Podcasts are not so great on the iOS 5 music player, but they are manageable with playlists (still a pain in the neck if you ask me).

Podcasts has been completely moved to the Podcasts app.

I agree that it is terrible but they've updated it today and it's working a bit smoother. The first couple of iterations were totally unusable on my iPhone 4. They've added an option to only download over subscriptions over WiFi which is nice.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

In iTunes, if you "Get Info" on podcasts you can change their media type to "Music" which will put them in the Music app and organize them in playlists.

Ok it's an ugly and sucky workaround, but if your main issue is being able to organize them in playlists to play a bunch without having to manually switch after each one then it might help.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Err... Huh?

Podcasts are most certainly still there in the music app on my copy of iOS6.

Happily, as the Podcast app is a disaster and long since deleted.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Err... Huh?

Podcasts are most certainly still there in the music app on my copy of iOS6.

Happily, as the Podcast app is a disaster and long since deleted.

I was just about to post this:

Did some searching just now and it turns out if you delete the Podcasts app, then podcasts will indeed show up in the Music app.

unigolyn

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
That's an older version of the Music app.

It quite obviously isn't, you're talking out of your hindquarters. I took the screenshot myself about 20 minutes ago.

Anyway, as was mentioned already, if you don't have the Podcasts app installed, they show up in Music. If you have Podcasts installed, they don't show up in Music.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It quite obviously isn't, you're talking out of your hindquarters. I took the screenshot myself about 20 minutes ago.

Anyway, as was mentioned already, if you don't have the Podcasts app installed, they show up in Music. If you have Podcasts installed, they don't show up in Music.

My original statement was correct as you point out above. Podcasts DO NOT show up on the "more" tab IF the Podcasts app is installed. If the Podcasts app IS installed podcasts do show up on the "more" tab. They've set it up so you can't have it both ways. Either you only use the Podcast app or you only use the Music app.

But thanks anyway for the snotty reply. That was productive :rolleyes:

Last edited:

unigolyn

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
My original statement was correct as you point out above. Podcasts DO NOT show up on the "more" tab IF the Podcasts app is not installed. If the Podcasts app IS installed podcasts do show up on the "more" tab. They've set it up so you can't have it both ways. Either you only use the Podcast app or you only use the Music app.

You stated something patently FALSE.

You said "that's an older version of the Music app".

It's not. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Nsimmons03

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Camas, WA
My original statement was correct as you point out above. Podcasts DO NOT show up on the "more" tab IF the Podcasts app is not installed. If the Podcasts app IS installed podcasts do show up on the "more" tab. They've set it up so you can't have it both ways. Either you only use the Podcast app or you only use the Music app.

False. I DO NOT have the podcast app installed and I DO have podcasts working in my music app. The snotty replies are in response to your snotty comments.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You stated something patently FALSE.

You said "that's an older version of the Music app".

It's not. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Grow up.

----------

False. I DO NOT have the podcast app installed and I DO have podcasts working in my music app. The snotty replies are in response to your snotty comments.

Read it again, if you DO NOT have the podcast app installed podcasts DO show up in the Music app.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
So I went to Podcasts in the Music app and tried to get more, it prompted me to download the Podcast app. After, Podcasts were no longer available in the Music app.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Try reading your own post again.

Try pointing out a typo without adding an attack next time, m'kay?

----------

So I went to Podcasts in the Music app and tried to get more, it prompted me to download the Podcast app. After, Podcasts were no longer available in the Music app.

Correct. "Get more podcasts" is disabled within Music when Podcasts isn't installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.