Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacobwilson99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Here's an odd thread coming your way.

Some of you probably clean out the connector ports on your iPhones frequently. Some of you, like myself, haven't touched it since you got the phone.

The connector kept falling out on my iPhone 4, so! I decided to clean out the lint. I was amazed to find multiple layers crammed into the bottom of the port. Not it connects like new.

So, it's time to clean out your iPhone connection ports and post a picture of how much lint you excavated!

Here's mine:
je3uradu.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not as bad as the OP but still substantial. If you put it in your pocket you're going to get lint and you may not notice until you dig it out.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 100

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Yeah i wanna know what you guys use to clean that out with? Compressed air? A small keyboard vacuum?

In the past when I've cleaned my iPhone/ipod ports, i've always carefully used the other end of a sewing needle. Though I have never taken to the practice of having a camera by my side, taking a photo of it afterwards and then posting it on macrumors....

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yeah i wanna know what you guys use to clean that out with? Compressed air? A small keyboard vacuum?

Compressed air or vacuuming isn't going to remove lint that infiltrates and gets packed over time from plugging in the connector. You need to use an actual object to dig it out. Thin flexible plastic tips (like plastic toothpicks) are best, although be careful to avoid touching the connector itself.

Last edited:

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
I've cleaned mine out before, but I haven't gotten nearly as much as your have out! No wonder you couldn't plug the connector in!

Jacobwilson99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
OK! To clean out the connector:

Compressed air will not work as most of the lint is jam packed on the bottom. I used a sewing needle and just poked at the bottom of the connector, being very careful not to scratch the metal strips in the center.
You have to pick and poke at the bottom to lift the lint.
You can use a plastic poker or something.
It just has to be long and skinny enough to reach to the bottom.

Now go clean those phones!!!

Jacobwilson99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I have an iPhone 4, btw. It hasn't been cleaned since I got the phone.

Compressed air or vacuuming isn't going to remove lint that infiltrates and gets packed over time from plugging in the connector. You need to use an actual object to dig it out. Thin flexible plastic tips (like plastic toothpicks) are best, although be careful to avoid touching the connector itself.

Exactly! This ^^

This is thread of the year folks. :D

:D

Not as bad as the OP but still substantial. If you put it in your pocket you're going to get lint and you may not notice until you dig it out.
Nice! That's a successful excavation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.