Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Can you downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5?

As the title says can I downgrade my new iPad to iOS 5 as I want the google maps back? It's a really important feature for me that I could really do with, apple maps is diabolical and google maps on safari is pretty rubbish too.

I've ordered the iphone 5 so am stuck with iOS 6 on this, although I'm tempted to cancel the order if I can also downgrade my iphone 4 to iOS 5 too until a time that they launch a google maps app (if they do)
snerkler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:58 AM   #2
timtax
macrumors newbie

Not sure, but you can do so i think, but then you will have to google for the iOS 5 specific download for your device (IPSW file) and then from within iTunes option-click on the restore button. you should then be able to select the file you just downloaded.

Proceed at your own risk
timtax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
nabechu
macrumors 6502

As long as Apple is still signing the 5.1.1 firmware, you'll be able too.
nabechu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502a

If you have a backup from iOS 5 you should be able to, but you may have to do a fresh install and then restore the backup.

If not, you may be able to restore from iCloud, or change the version on a local iOS 6 backup and restore from that.
Beta Particle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:22 AM   #5
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtax View Post
Not sure, but you can do so i think, but then you will have to google for the iOS 5 specific download for your device (IPSW file) and then from within iTunes option-click on the restore button. you should then be able to select the file you just downloaded.

Proceed at your own risk
Thanks for all the replies. When you say proceed at your own risk what do you mean by this? Could it mess up my iPad, or worse still could it be a worm or something that extracts all my passwords etc?

Is there a safe place to downlooad the IPSW file from?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Particle View Post
If you have a backup from iOS 5 you should be able to, but you may have to do a fresh install and then restore the backup.

If not, you may be able to restore from iCloud, or change the version on a local iOS 6 backup and restore from that.
Do all backups get stored somewhere on the Mac or just the last one? If I can access old back ups (and therefore iOS 5) where would I find these on my Mac and how do I get it to restore from this rather than the latest backup?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:27 AM   #6
SinkOrSwim
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks for all the replies. When you say proceed at your own risk what do you mean by this? Could it mess up my iPad, or worse still could it be a worm or something that extracts all my passwords etc?

Is there a safe place to downlooad the IPSW file from?

----------

Do all backups get stored somewhere on the Mac or just the last one? If I can access old back ups (and therefore iOS 5) where would I find these on my Mac and how do I get it to restore from this rather than the latest backup?
--- You should have your own back up somewhere in your iTunes folder. If you can't find it via search, I have 5.1.1 ipsw.
SinkOrSwim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 AM   #7
ixodes
macrumors 601

The moral of the story is if your device is important to you, never trust a new version. Wait until others are using it and the reports come in. Why waste your time, when others will do it for you.

Then once it's sorted out you can migrate to it trouble free.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:43 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Yeah you can usually downgrade. You have to manually select what software to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
The moral of the story is if your device is important to you, never trust a new version. Wait until others are using it and the reports come in. Why waste your time, when others will do it for you.

Then once it's sorted out you can migrate to it trouble free.
If your device is important to you? It's not as though the removal of Google maps is going to destroy your device. You're so dramatic.

Many people choose not to upgrade right away. I do that with my computers and usually with my phone but I was eager to try out a couple features that were tempting to me. I guess my device isn't important to me, by your logic.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:44 AM   #9
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim View Post
--- You should have your own back up somewhere in your iTunes folder. If you can't find it via search, I have 5.1.1 ipsw.
If I go into iTunes > preferences > Devices I only have one back up for each of my devices, ie my most recent back up. Mine automatically backs up every time I connect to iTunes, is there somewhere I can look for old back ups, or are these the only ones I have? If I have several back ups how do I select which one I want to back up from?

I have downloaded an iPad 3 5.1.1 IPSW, how do I know if these are safe to use and not created by a hacker who's then going to steal all my details?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:58 AM   #10
SinkOrSwim
macrumors member

Quote:
If I go into iTunes > preferences > Devices I only have one back up for each of my devices, ie my most recent back up. Mine automatically backs up every time I connect to iTunes, is there somewhere I can look for old back ups, or are these the only ones I have? If I have several back ups how do I select which one I want to back up from?

I have downloaded an iPad 3 5.1.1 IPSW, how do I know if these are safe to use and not created by a hacker who's then going to steal all my details?
--- First, you gotta go to the same area where you see the list of back ups you have. You gotta check a box that says, prevent other iDevices from syncing to your iTunes automatically. Second, you gotta go to the actual folders and find the IPSW file 5.1.1 restore. It's the firmware you had on your phone before you upgraded to iOS 6.
SinkOrSwim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:04 AM   #11
kreach
macrumors member

you could try this instead....

"Until we hear something, try out this temporary solution.
Add the mobile web version of Google maps to your home screen!
While the web version of Google Maps doesn't have as many features as the former stock version, we think it will certainly get you by if you can't stand Apple's own maps. "

http://www.businessinsider.com/get-g...ne-2012-9?op=1

http://www.businessinsider.com/get-g...ne-2012-9?op=1
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:09 AM   #12
zen
macrumors 65816

I did it this morning, using the instructions here, with no problem whatsoever, with my iPhone 4 (GSM version), no jailbreak required. That link says iOS 6 beta, but the method is correct, and there are links there to download the 5.1.1 files for your particular device.

Basically I put the phone into DFU mode and restored the firmware using the downloaded version of iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw. iTunes reported it was verifying the update with Apple - which is usually the roadblock - but it proceeded without a hitch.

I'm not sure if that method wipes your phone completely, but once I had 5.1.1 back on the phone I went into Time Machine, grabbed an iPhone back-up from a week ago (in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSynch - and remember the user Library folder is hidden in Mountain Lion) and restored from that, so all my data and photos were back on the phone.

Anyway, I can confirm that you can roll back to 5.1.1 very easily. It appears Apple are still signing/verifying the 5.1.1 ipsw file.
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:22 AM   #13
ripper998
macrumors regular

I hated apple maps in the beginning (beta) but after a month it has more value then the google maps of iOS 5. I like it has yelp reviews and other features baked in now. Give it some time to adjust. Anything new takes time to get use too.
ripper998 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:41 AM   #14
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I did it this morning, using the instructions here, with no problem whatsoever, with my iPhone 4 (GSM version), no jailbreak required. That link says iOS 6 beta, but the method is correct, and there are links there to download the 5.1.1 files for your particular device.

Basically I put the phone into DFU mode and restored the firmware using the downloaded version of iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw. iTunes reported it was verifying the update with Apple - which is usually the roadblock - but it proceeded without a hitch.

I'm not sure if that method wipes your phone completely, but once I had 5.1.1 back on the phone I went into Time Machine, grabbed an iPhone back-up from a week ago (in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSynch - and remember the user Library folder is hidden in Mountain Lion) and restored from that, so all my data and photos were back on the phone.

Anyway, I can confirm that you can roll back to 5.1.1 very easily. It appears Apple are still signing/verifying the 5.1.1 ipsw file.
This doesn't seem to work for me. iTunes recognised my iPad in recovery mode but does not give me the chance to choose my restore point. I get this screen

When I click restore I get this

If I click restore and update it still has iOS 6 on it
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:43 AM   #15
zen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This doesn't seem to work for me. iTunes recognised my iPad in recovery mode but does not give me the chance to choose my restore point. I get this screen

When I click restore I get this

If I click restore and update it still has iOS 6 on it
If you have option/alt-clicked, it will let you choose the 5.1.1 files - that dialogue says the newest software will be downloaded, which means you haven't option/alt-clicked (I presume your iPad in in DFU mode). As for restoring your data, this is where an older backup comes in, I think. For me this was important as I had some photos I hadn't transferred off the device, otherwise I wouldn't have minded it set up as a new, factory-fresh device.

Edit: Ignore the data restore comment I made, it sounds like you're just hitting the restore and update button anyway. So - download the right 5.1.1 ipsw file, put your device into DFU mode, then option/alt-click restore, and choose the downloaded firmware.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:45 AM   #16
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you have option/alt-clicked, it will let you choose the 5.1.1 files - that dialogue says the newest software will be downloaded, which means you haven't option/alt-clicked (I presume your iPad in in DFU mode). As for restoring your data, this is where an older backup comes in, I think. For me this was important as I had some photos I hadn't transferred off the device, otherwise I wouldn't have minded it set up as a new, factory-fresh device.
OK, I'll give this a go.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:47 AM   #17
zen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
OK, I'll give this a go.
Importantly, to get my photos back, I went into Time Machine and got an old, pre-iOS 6 backup file. If you don't use Time Machine or don't have an old 5.1.1 data backup available, you might be out of luck < this is for people like me who did the factory reset then realised they'd just lost a whole bunch of stuff. Thank goodness for Time Machine!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:49 AM   #18
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

I assume if it's verified by apple it's not going to be some hack?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:50 AM   #19
zen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I assume if it's verified by apple it's not going to be some hack?
Correct. My iPhone 4 seems fine, working as intended under 5.1.1, no jailbreak or anything.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:52 AM   #20
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Correct. My iPhone 4 seems fine, working as intended under 5.1.1, no jailbreak or anything.
Thanks. I'm just overly paranoid about downloading software from the web in case it's a hacker that's created the software so that when you start using it, doing banking etc they can steal your passwords etc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:55 AM   #21
zen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks. I'm just overly paranoid about downloading software from the web in case it's a hacker that's created the software so that when you start using it, doing banking etc they can steal your passwords etc
Fair enough. I can't make any promises, of course, but these ipsw files have been provided online by various sources for a while now.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:58 AM   #22
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Well that's worked, many thanks. Now to try and get over my paranoia
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:01 AM   #23
zen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well that's worked, many thanks. Now to try and get over my paranoia
Glad to hear it worked! Enjoy Google Maps, again!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:01 AM   #24
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Fair enough. I can't make any promises, of course, but these ipsw files have been provided online by various sources for a while now.
I used this site as it's the only one I found with the iPad 3 iOS 5
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:03 AM   #25
840quadra

http://maps.google.com may be a better solution until Google (hopefully) comes out with their own map client.

It is actually a bit more feature rich than the old iPad version of the native application. Though, some features have their limits in a browser too.

::EDIT::

Yikes I saw an old version of this thread minus some replies. You are golden and running iOS5 now
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6