Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Upgrading to ios 6 on iPhone 4S went very smoothly over the air. Took about an hour, perhaps less, perfectly good experience.

Upgrading my girlfriend’s iPad 2 went smoothly over the air as well.

Upgrading my girlfriend’s iPhone 4, however, is terrible.

Over the air update won’t work. When I click “Install Now” after it downloaded, it momentarily says “Verifying Update” then says there was an error in the installation and gives me two options, “Close” or “settings.” Close leaves me on the same page, but “Install Now” is grayed out and can’t be clicked. Settings leaves me on the same page but lets me click “Install Now” again, with the same results.

Turning off and on again, same results.

Reboot by holding both buttons until it shuts off, then restarting, same results.

Hooked it up to her PC, iTunes wanted to update itself, let that happen, then it recognized the new software available and took an hour or more downloading it. When I try to upgrade, it tells me the software was corrupted in the download, and starts to redownload. Second try, same error.

She’s frustrated because “isn’t Apple supposed to be all about the smoothness?” I agree with her.

Here is my action plan, to try and solve this.
Backup her phone to her PC, then restore from backup. I hope this will get rid of the OTA download file stuck in the phone, letting me redownload OTA, hopefully with a file that works.
If that doesn’t work, I’m going to try to backup to her computer, and then see if I can upgrade the software from my Macbook, without losing all of her stuff
go to an Apple store on Saturday and see if they can make it work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.