Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaimer26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hi all!

I am looking at cases to get for my iPhone 5 and came across some damn nice pouches. Here is my question:

Why a pouch? I love the phone naked, but wouldn't it just be a huge inconvenience to have to fit a pouch into your pocket with the phone inside, pull the phone out to answer a call or text and put the phone back into the pouch??

I am looking at the SPIGEN pouch if that helps. I refuse to wear a clip pouch, FYI.

Feedback is greatly appreciated as I am a novice on pouches and cases.

Thanks!

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I had a pouch. They usually side in and out easily. They are thinner than some cases and protect the whole phone from anything in your pocket. you also get to pull the phone out and it still have the naked look and feel. People who have accidents with their phones and drop them should look for a case instead.

Last edited:

Jaimer26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I had a pouch. They usually side in and out easily. They are thinner than some cases and protect the whole phone from anything in your pocket. you also get to pull the phone out and it still have the naked look and feel. People who have accidents with their phones and drop them should look for a case instead.

Thanks Bear - did you find it mildly annoying to have a sleeve/pouch in your pocket while pulling the phone in/out? Normally i'd opt for a case, but not happy with any cases as of now and the new i5 looks damn sexy naked.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks Bear - did you find it mildly annoying to have a sleeve/pouch in your pocket while pulling the phone in/out? Normally i'd opt for a case, but not happy with any cases as of now and the new i5 looks damn sexy naked.

Most of the time, I didn't. Most pouch let the iPhone go in and out so easily that sometimes I could do it without taking the pouch out of my pocket. Also, the pouch was also a nice place to rest my phone. Id put it a desk or table and lay my iPhone on top of it.

Jaimer26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Most of the time, I didn't. Most pouch let the iPhone go in and out so easily that sometimes I could do it without taking the pouch out of my pocket. Also, the pouch was also a nice place to rest my phone. Id put it a desk or table and lay my iPhone on top of it.

Thanks man - any thoughts on the new Spigen pouch?

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010

I prefer not to have a strap across the top. Usually a pouch/sleeve should stay in there securely and still be easily taken out. It is all about personal preference when you deal with a pouch.

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego

You're talking about the Crumena, right? From what I've seen, the spigen pouch seems to have a magnetic strap on top so it wouldn't slide out easily like other pouches. I think pouches are good for people who don't need much protection from drops and wants to use their phone naked, but still keep it protected when not in use.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I'm also looking for a sleeve for my phone. I had the Sena UltraSlim for my 3GS and loved it. Never used one with the 4, and eventually it started to show wear. I'm definitely keeping the 5 more protected. I've been looking at a few.

Right now there aren't many nice ones available. They all ship late October. So I've bought a cheap http://www.amazon.com/IPHONE-HANDMA...id=1348166506&sr=8-4&keywords=iphone+sleeve+5 one for now. :)

By the way, the phone would only be inside the sleeve if it's in my pocket / car. Otherwise it'll rest on top of it (at work, home). So it's not THAT inconvenient.

BigRingIt

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Good question as I wonder this myself after deciding to use a pouch for the first time. I ordered my pouch from Joli Original. She has some pretty nice simple leather pouches. http://shop.jolioriginals.com/products/iphone

I had always used a case when I had the iphone 4. When I switched to 4s I continued to use a case. However, all along I wanted to use the phone naked as I felt that's how I get to enjoy the beautiful design of the phone. A case or bumper just takes away the beauty it was intended. Despite this, I had continued to use the case because I felt the phone was safe that way. But a few months back when I saw that my cousin was using his naked and said he hadn't had any problems, I decided to give it a try. I really enjoyed the full naked iphone, especially in the white color that I have. I enjoyed how it feels in my hand and the beauty of the material and built of the phone. I was only using the SGP screen protector for the front and back and had used the phone like that for a good 4-5 months now. I can report that the phone still looks great! no scratches and the white color along the frame where it doesn't have the screen protector stayed white. My phone is still in mint condition.

With the iPhone 5, I will continue to use it naked, but because it has an aluminum back rather than glass, I won't be able to put a screen protector on the back. So I will try using a pouch this time and see how I'll like it.

Chrissy1608

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I'm also looking for a sleeve for my phone. I had the Sena UltraSlim for my 3GS and loved it. Never used one with the 4, and eventually it started to show wear. I'm definitely keeping the 5 more protected. I've been looking at a few.

Right now there aren't many nice ones available. They all ship late October. So I've bought a cheap http://www.amazon.com/IPHONE-HANDMA...id=1348166506&sr=8-4&keywords=iphone+sleeve+5 one for now. :)

By the way, the phone would only be inside the sleeve if it's in my pocket / car. Otherwise it'll rest on top of it (at work, home). So it's not THAT inconvenient.

I just bought this one too to tide me over till I find a leather one. Should have it tomorrow.. I too had a Sena Ultra slim for the 3GS but I'm not a huge fan of the lightening cut out they've got on the version for the 5. Looking forward to seeing what these guys come out with: http://shop.jolioriginals.com/products/iphone

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why a pouch? I love the phone naked, but wouldn't it just be a huge inconvenience to have to fit a pouch into your pocket with the phone inside, pull the phone out to answer a call or text and put the phone back into the pouch??
Subjective matter. Even if you poll others that doesn't mean that you'll have the same preference/opinion (no matter what the topic). If you're wondering then try and see for yourself. I would find it an inconvenience. Others obviously do not. It's impossible to tell you where your preference happens to lie on the matter.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
The reason why im getting a pouch is i dont like using a case & dont feel comfortable putting the new iphone in my pockets fir fear the it might get scratch
So i just use the pouch when i put the phone in my pockets & when the iphone 5 is not in use

Until a third party desktop dock comes out

BigRingIt

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I'm really digging these from joli originals:
http://shop.jolioriginals.com/products/iphone

you guys said you already have them or will be receiving soon? Are you overseas or did you have them shipped to the US? Where are they located? Very curious.

Thanks

I pre-ordered mine that is scheduled for October shipment. Apparently the iphone5 isn't launched in Amsterdam until the 28th. So Joli has to wait until then before she can get the phone in hand to make the sleeves.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1240915@N23/pool/

I am in Canada

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I just bought this one too to tide me over till I find a leather one. Should have it tomorrow.. I too had a Sena Ultra slim for the 3GS but I'm not a huge fan of the lightening cut out they've got on the version for the 5. Looking forward to seeing what these guys come out with: http://shop.jolioriginals.com/products/iphone

We think alike. I too dislike the cutout. It's not like I'll be charging my phone with this thing on. Only time it would be useful for is when it's in my car and I have it plugged in. That would be handy.. but I don't know, I'm sure some really nice ones will come out eventually.

Those joli ones are pretty neat.

----------

In case you guys are not aware of Etsy.. HUGE variety from all over the world.

Click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.