Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I noticed an issue this morning when I took my phone off charge that it only charged to 99%. The phone has never done this before and was on charge all night. My best assumption is that it is related to the update. Has anyone else noticed this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I noticed an issue this morning when I took my phone off charge that it only charged to 99%. The phone has never done this before and was on charge all night. My best assumption is that it is related to the update. Has anyone else noticed this?

That's normal and has been that way for a long time. The phone will charge to 100% then stop and let it drain to around 96% and then begin charging again. This keeps it from over charging and keeps the electrons moving around in the battery.

Read this MacRumors story from March 2012.

Apple Explains New iPad's Continued Charging Beyond 100% Battery Level

So, here’s how things work: Apple does in fact display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged.

Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today.

“That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao said. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
That's normal and has been that way for a long time. The phone will charge to 100% then stop and let it drain to around 96% and then begin charging again. This keeps it from over charging and keeps the electrons moving around in the battery.

Read this MacRumors story from March 2012.

Apple Explains New iPad's Continued Charging Beyond 100% Battery Level

That story states that during this process that the device will display a 100% charge the whole time (so that it doesn't confuse the consumer) which my phone always has displayed 100%. This morning, however, after being on charge the whole night it didn't register that it was fully charging. 1% isn't a huge deal but it is something odd that has occurred after the upgrade. My biggest concern is that 1% may turn into more than that later.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That story states that during this process that the device will display a 100% charge the whole time (so that it doesn't confuse the consumer) which my phone always has displayed 100%. This morning, however, after being on charge the whole night it didn't register that it was fully charging. 1% isn't a huge deal but it is something odd that has occurred after the upgrade. My biggest concern is that 1% may turn into more than that later.

I doubt you have anything to be concerned about. Both my iPhone and iPad have varied between 96% and 100% when I removed it from the charger, and it's done that all along since the day I got them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.