Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
nin7474
macrumors 6502

Unhappy Can you disable Game Center?

Since i update to iOS6, GC keeps asking me to sign in no matter how many times i hit Cancel on the top left corner.
Never happened before. Any suggestions?
thanks
nin7474 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin7474 View Post
Since i update to iOS6, GC keeps asking me to sign in no matter how many times i hit Cancel on the top left corner.
thanks
The only thing I've heard of was to actually sign in, but don't allow the game apps to access it and it should leave you alone most of the time.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
nin7474
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
The only thing I've heard of was to actually sign in, but don't allow the game apps to access it and it should leave you alone most of the time.
Thanks. Do most Game Apps allow you to turn it off? I don't remember seeing on any games as a option.
nin7474 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
thanks
No clue.

But what is the harm? Just sign in, set your profile to private, and you'll be done.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:13 PM   #5
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Thanks. Do most Game Apps allow you to turn it off? I don't remember seeing on any games as a option.
I'm not too sure. I don't have a lot of games on my iDevices.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
No clue.

But what is the harm? Just sign in, set your profile to private, and you'll be done.
Personally I prefer to opt out of anything which keeps info on me as much as possible.
bogatyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
iMrNiceGuy0023
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
Personally I prefer to opt out of anything which keeps info on me as much as possible.
info on you? lol Its storing your high scores and games you play, not your social, address, phone number or credit card number

but some games have the option not to use Game Center
iMrNiceGuy0023 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
It's your Apple account though... They already know what games you've bought and installed on your iPhone. You're telling them nothing they don't already know... maybe your Angry Birds progress, but really, no, not likely?

I get it's dumb, but you'll save some headache if you just settle the account, and disable public profile.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 PM   #9
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMrNiceGuy0023 View Post
info on you? lol Its storing your high scores and games you play, not your social, address, phone number or credit card number

None of us know what it gathers and keeps track of or shares with other developers who use the system. We just assume - which is OK for most but not for me. Same reason I don't have FB/Twitter/etc.

When my current employer started passing on people due to things they find online - I changed my online habits.
bogatyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:06 PM   #10
macman3210
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMrNiceGuy0023 View Post

I am having the same issue. On my lunch break at work I like to play some Phase 10, but the Game Center is blocked on our wireless network. So I have to deal with clicking disable about four times before I can load into my game. This all started with iOS 6. Surely someone has a workaround for this. Game Center offers no features that interest me in the slightest, so disabling it (or removing it) if possible would be great.

And I agree with Bogatyr, having everything social and connected isn't always a good thing. If I could competitively, or cooperatively play against friends that's one thing, but knowing my score sucks against the 290,586,709 people playing the same game I am doesn't boost my self esteem or do anything for me. I assume most Apple users either don't know what game center is, or they don't care to use it. So having the ability to turn it off seems practical to me. The only work around I have found is to disable the wireless or to turn on Airplane mode.

Last edited by macman3210; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
macman3210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #11
onthecouchagain
Banned

Good lord is there any update on this? Game Center is insanely annoying. It's stuff like this, apple, that makes me hate you. iOS 6 finally stopped booting you out of the App Store every time you started a download but now they force Game Center on you every time you load a game. Infuriating.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Good lord is there any update on this? Game Center is insanely annoying. It's stuff like this, apple, that makes me hate you. iOS 6 finally stopped booting you out of the App Store every time you started a download but now they force Game Center on you every time you load a game. Infuriating.
You can turn it off under restrictions I think. I don't find any use for it either.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:51 AM   #13
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
You can turn it off under restrictions I think
No, you can't.
g-7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:59 AM   #14
Gymgenius
macrumors regular

You can only turn off 'Multiplayer Games' and 'Adding Friends' in Restrictions.
Game centre is still visible, and you still get nagged to log in.

I've sent a suggestion to Apple that we should be able to enable or disable each 'stock' app individually within Restrictions.
Gymgenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:22 AM   #15
Gymgenius
macrumors regular

Quote:
None of us know what it gathers and keeps track of or shares with other developers who use the system. We just assume - which is OK for most but not for me. Same reason I don't have FB/Twitter/etc.

When my current employer started passing on people due to things they find online - I changed my online habits.
I agree, and I too have deleted (not de-activated) The Facebook. I browse Twitter, but don't have an account on there.
Gymgenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:29 AM   #16
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymgenius View Post
You can only turn off 'Multiplayer Games' and 'Adding Friends' in Restrictions.
Game centre is still visible, and you still get nagged to log in.

I've sent a suggestion to Apple that we should be able to enable or disable each 'stock' app individually within Restrictions.
Yeah actually I was referring to this functionality. Not much to help, but better than nothing. Kinda sad that there's no way to delete useless stock apps like Newsstand and game center, both of which I do not use.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:29 AM   #17
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

This happens to me every once in a while -every game I go into forces me to cancel, et. Then this issue goes away for weeks or more and then re-appears. It is a pain when it happens but not the biggest issue to me.

Personally, like a lot of people I wish I could make game center just disappear.
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Xenomorph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:29 AM   #19
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

I've disabled mine but I can't tell if I did it through lockinfo (jailbroken) or not. There's a setting in notifications for game center and I switched it to off. But again, this might be a lockinfo setting, I'm not sure.
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6