Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p.helwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hey there, I'm thinking about buying a mac mini. Do you guys think there will be another release this year? should I wait? or is it ok to buy the mid 2011 model right now.

Thanks!

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Wait if you can wait. Maybe October...maybe longer. Probably marginally faster and cooler operation from Intel Ivy Bridge CPU's with improved Intel HD 4000 graphics, but I am most interested in the likely addition of USB3.

longer.zhou

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
I have been thinking about buying a Mini for a long time. And i recently heard a news that Apple would release a new Mini soon. But this has not been confirmed. So, if you can wait, just wait a couple of weeks.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I've been waiting since May, still tossing up between the Mini and iMac, just waiting to see what Apple delivers before the end of the year. I'd like an Mac 27" but the Mini could work with a 24" screen then I can sit both it and my G5's 24" on the same desktop. Later when I sell the G5 I could have 2x LCDs hanging off the Mini.

It's now more urgent as I can't get the new iPhone as it's not longer supported on my G5 :(

But I'm willing to wait, checked out the new iPhone today and I'm not over whelmed by it. I mean it will be a big step up from my 3Gs but again like the G5 I can wait.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Mac Mini - will it Survive

Difficult to say what Apple are doing with their actual non-portable devices - AKA, desktops.

FWIW, Apple have lost me as a customer for any Ivy Bridge related products, which means I'll keep going with my iMac 2011 i& 27in and 2010 Mac Mini until late 2013, when I hope Haswell will be powering their devices.

Given Ivy Bridge CPU's are now passé, I'm looking forward to Haswell launch in first quarter 2013 and purchasing Haswell powered iMac's and Mac Mini in the final quarter of 2013 - now if only Apple can stick to these timeframes I'm happy - but cannot now justify investing in technology that has been on the market since April.

Indeed, perhaps Apple could pay more attention to its desktops and OSX, rather than making everything a iOS device - if I want a toy I'll purchase a Fisher Price device - real computing requires a desktop and its time Apple remembers this.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Difficult to say what Apple are doing with their actual non-portable devices - AKA, desktops.

FWIW, Apple have lost me as a customer for any Ivy Bridge related products, which means I'll keep going with my iMac 2011 i& 27in and 2010 Mac Mini until late 2013, when I hope Haswell will be powering their devices.

Given Ivy Bridge CPU's are now passé, I'm looking forward to Haswell launch in first quarter 2013 and purchasing Haswell powered iMac's and Mac Mini in the final quarter of 2013 - now if only Apple can stick to these timeframes I'm happy - but cannot now justify investing in technology that has been on the market since April.

Indeed, perhaps Apple could pay more attention to its desktops and OSX, rather than making everything a iOS device - if I want a toy I'll purchase a Fisher Price device - real computing requires a desktop and its time Apple remembers this.
Haswell Q2. Btw, Apple makes 70% of their profit from those toys. If anything, Macs will disappear before those toys will.

geneking7320

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
A Chip Question May Be In Order

The present [non-server] Minis run dual core I5 or I7 Sandy Bridge chips.
Have their Ivy Bridge analogues appeared on the scene yet? If not, when are they due? We might just be waiting for chips.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
The present [non-server] Minis run dual core I5 or I7 Sandy Bridge chips.
Have their Ivy Bridge analogues appeared on the scene yet? If not, when are they due? We might just be waiting for chips.

The chips have been available for months.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
A Haswell iMac/Mac Mini release next may? I'll wait anyways ... Just have to rent a Mac if they don't release one this year. ;(

Given the current delay (totally uncalled for, IMO), I would expect Haswell Macs mid to late next year (June-October), assuming we see new Macs in the next couple of weeks. If we don't, it could mean that Apple has decided to skip over IB completely for the desktop, which would be sad indeed. I am hoping to catch a refurb Haswell mini in early 2014 to replace my 2009 mini (whose life is being extended via 8GB RAM and an SSD).

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Guys, I had dinner w/ an Apple employee who knows release dates. He told me to wait on a Mini purchase, which I took as sometime in October. I have waited diligently since June, needing a Thunderbolt machine to drive an TB Display, which I got a good deal on for $650.

But now, after waiting so long, and Ivy is already 6 mos old, I'm thinking of buying the Intel NUC, which will have an i3 with TB, and retail < $400. I'm not wedded to OSX, especially on the desktop, since I use it mainly for working on Excel, which is better under Win7 for business use. Apple may have lost a Mini sale by waiting so long to upgrade.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/216-intel-nuc-coming-potentially-smallest-customac-yet.html
Question is: will this drive a TB Display?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Guys, I had dinner w/ an Apple employee who knows release dates. He told me to wait on a Mini purchase, which I took as sometime in October. I have waited diligently since June, needing a Thunderbolt machine to drive an TB Display, which I got a good deal on for $650.

But now, after waiting so long, and Ivy is already 6 mos old, I'm thinking of buying the Intel NUC, which will have an i3 with TB, and retail < $400. I'm not wedded to OSX, especially on the desktop, since I use it mainly for working on Excel, which is better under Win7 for business use. Apple may have lost a Mini sale by waiting so long to upgrade.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/216-intel-nuc-coming-potentially-smallest-customac-yet.html
Question is: will this drive a TB Display?

well it will have 4000 graphics. if you don't game it could work. it can use a standard mSata ssd which means this one will work

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...sr=8-1&keywords=msata+ssd+256gb&condition=new

that little machine with a 256gb ssd would be pretty good

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Buy what you want when you want it. There will always be something new coming.
I bought the $799 Mini 2 weeks ago and do not, and will not regret it. Works great and does what I need it to.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
If you need a computer now, get one. If you don't, and can wait, then wait. Simple really

With the only exception being if there is a 'confirmed, imminent' release about to happen. Otherwise, it is as exactly as simple as you suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.