Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stateof2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
I have a vpn from a major university that is a bug on my mac. They are in the process of releasing a new well it is rumored they will fix the problem since we just now got them to admit it...the bug causes the powerbook to have to be restarted everytime you wake it from sleep to connect to the internet...if you do not restart than the laptop will not have an ip address...

so my question is how do you uninstall a vpn client or for that matter any program on a mac? I know there is something more than just dragging it to the trash...

Any help is greatly appreciated... oh yeah i have panther not tiger on a new pwbook...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Did the program come with an uninstaller? If it did, you can use that. Second, you can check the help file/ website for uninstall instructions. There may also be some preference files (in the user library) that you may need to trash. I think that covers most possibilities besides the drag-to-trash option, which works for most programs as far as I know.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
stateof2005 said:
I have a vpn from a major university that is a bug on my mac. They are in the process of releasing a new well it is rumored they will fix the problem since we just now got them to admit it...the bug causes the powerbook to have to be restarted everytime you wake it from sleep to connect to the internet...if you do not restart than the laptop will not have an ip address...

so my question is how do you uninstall a vpn client or for that matter any program on a mac? I know there is something more than just dragging it to the trash...

Any help is greatly appreciated... oh yeah i have panther not tiger on a new pwbook...

I dunno about your vpn client there, but for 95% of all apps, the solution is just dragging it to the trash. If you *really* want to be thurough, do a Spotlight search for the app name, and then trash the preferences file too, but I prefer not to do that in case I ever want to reinstall the app. So yeah. For almost all Mac apps, just drag the app to the trash.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
If you are replacing the VPN client, just run the installer. It should replace it. Something like that that alters your network settings is bound to be a little trickier than dragging it to the Trash.

Microsoft, Macromedia, and Adobe products generally have uninstallers. Most small applications that you download from the internet, though, you can just drag to the trash.

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
I have never used VPN on my PB coz our university has the same problem....but previously had it for a laptop PC....when I installed a newer version, the VPN just wouldnt work!!! Had to uninstall and reinstall....if your VPN is already giing you problems, then best would be to uninstall(that advice has already been given by my predecessors.....) it and reinstall the newer version when it comes out.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.