Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ammacfarlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Hi there, i'm hoping someone can help me.

My husband has updated his iPhone 3GS to IOS 6.0 this morning without doing a backup first (i know, i know!) and has lost all of his photos.

There are hundreds on there of our son when he was first born and we don't have copies of them anywhere else.

The photo album says there are no albums or photos on the phone BUT when i plug the phone into my laptop and open iTunes it shows me there is 2 and a bit GB worth of 'other' data there. Could this be the photos? He has no music on it and a very small amount of apps which is showing as 0.77GB in iTunes so I know it's not that.

Please tell me, is there anyway we can get these photos back?

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
Are you sure he has no backup? What OS was he using before he updated? Chances are iTunes or iCloud will have backed up fairly recently.

I don't think the 'other' data will be your photos but I can't be certain.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That happened to me as well when I first upgraded. Hopefully if you give it a little time they'll resurface.

Please tell me you (at least) had an iCloud backup?

ammacfarlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
He has no back up atall! :mad: He doesn't use iCloud or iTunes! :mad:

I've actually just gone into the settings and under usage -> Photos & Camera -> the Camera Roll says there is 1.9GB ...... that must be them surely?

How would i get them back?

He was using IOS 5 before he updated.

sid504

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
the same thing happend to me just now. i downloaded ios6 and half my photos got deleted. but i was connected on itunes so i did "restore from backup" and the pictures came back. did you download ios6 through wireless or itunes? if you got it through itunes then itunes must have taken a backup before installing it. in that case you can restore it.

ammacfarlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
No, he did it through the wi-fi directly onto his phone!

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to use technology! :mad::p

nicnuc2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I did exactly the same and thought I'd lost all photos. will back up weekly in future!!!! I found the photos though!!! Plug his phone into computer and when the box comes up to either look at files or other tasks click on import videos and photos.(This is not within itunes it is on the normal screen) All mine have reappeared now and are now on computer.

I've tried to attach an image of the screen; whether it works or not who knows!?!?!

Hope it works for you x

nicnuc2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Here's the print screen of the box.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    64.5 KB · Views: 546

Treeline

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
A response I put together from another post. Also going into iTunes and choosing to sync phone to iCloud then back "this computer" sometimes works.

----------

First thing.. Stop where you are. Don't try to sync, update, hard reset, iCloud... Just stop.
Check on your phone under 'SETTINGS' 'GENERAL' USAGE'. It should show some value for PHOTOSTREAM. Also, connect to iTunes and you will notice at the bottom of your phones summary page that there is a large amount of 'OTHER' data.

I used third party software called iExplorer (formerly iPhone explorer). In this program you select 'MEDIA FOLDER', then 'DCIM'. In the various apple folders (IE: 101APPLE) you should be able to preview your photos and copy them to your desktop.

From there sync them back to your device through iTunes or whatever method you use.

There is a simpler solution I'm sure, which may involve using iExplorer to delete some .plist files then restart the phone and let it rebuild. I'm going to try it myself AFTER I've finished copying all the photos to my MAC

Hope this helps.

ammacfarlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I'll try that when he comes home tonight, thank you!

Ive had to google how to get his phone to autoplay as at the moment that pop-up doesn't appear when his phone is attached to the laptop :?

cydneycy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hi!
I had the same problem. Called Apple twice and no help whatsoever. Someone mentioned this already, but just wanted to tell you that when I plugged my phone into my computer to download the photos, they all downloaded, even though the phone said there were none. Also I used iphone explorer like someone mentioned above for my voice memos and same thing - they all downloaded even though the phone said there were none on there. Voice memos has always been screwed up for me though - I usually have to use iphone explorer. Anyway, maybe try uploading as normal and see if that works, or use iphone explorer. Iphone explorer would maybe work for photos and videos too.
Good luck!

ammacfarlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I GOT THEM ALL BACK!!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your help, I downloaded iExplorer and have been able to export all the photos to my laptop!!!

This has been a very hard lesson for my husband to learn ....... Backup! Backup! Backup!!

I honestly cannot thank you enough, you've made my week!! xxx

tinaka

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I had this same problem when updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 today. Found this thread and it was helpful, however, iExplorer requires you to buy a license to recover the photos which costs $34.99. Found another free alternative for Mac or Windows, iFunBox. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to grab my wallet.

Ksm23

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
When u click on photos, look down the bottom of the screen and you'll see the photo stream button .

henj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Lost all my photos..

Upgraded to new IOS6 but gave me an error report of error 6 then went blank so restored from back up but no photos appeared!!Lost them all..not a happy vegemite!!any suggestion appreciated!Got the last 100 pics but missing 900 more!!!
Had backed up I thought so really not happy!
:confused:

coyotezeye

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Wife did the upgrade last night. Guess what.. Lost everything. Lots of pictures of our kids over the past year. Gone... :(

I stumbled across this thread from a google search. Tried all the suggestions but nothing. The only picture that is on the camera is the 1 she took today. The rest are gone. I tried those programs everyone posted as well. Nothing.

Really Pissed off at Apple right now. My wife isnt the most tech savvy person. They should have posted something about making sure you backup before you update. I dont have these problems with my Droid.

Rk...!!

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
iphone 5 deleted photo recovery

Hello,

I deleted my photos from camera roll while i did not use itunes or iclouds etc for back up and now i want those photos to be recovered.
Will anybody help me for that ???

ITS URGENT....!!!

Rk...!!

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
Yes but it did not work.. :(

I even tried iExplorer but i can't see deleted photos out there...
Can you pls help me with the better software and a procedure to recover the photos ???

Rk...!!

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
I did use Dr. fone software but it only support 7 types of file recovery which does not contain photo recovery..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.