Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaidan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
London, UK
Speaking to numerous sources in various telecommunication companies (non Apple) the great news is that if you've pre-ordered you will be guaranteed a handset around the dates you were told. The iPhone 5 has been a phenomenal sales success story and demand had meant that you will not be able to queue outside non Apple stores early to pick one up. All stock delivered to stores has been to fulfil pre-orders. By all means try but just don't be too disappointed. If it was me I'd head to Apple directly as soon as possible. Even staff have been amazed by this shortage. Just to pass on my thoughts.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I don't have any insider information here, however I did contact all of my local O2 stores who were able to confirm there will be stock available for in store purchases tomorrow morning.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Speaking to numerous sources in various telecommunication companies (non Apple) the great news is that if you've pre-ordered you will be guaranteed a handset around the dates you were told. The iPhone 5 has been a phenomenal sales success story and demand had meant that you will not be able to queue outside non Apple stores early to pick one up. All stock delivered to stores has been to fulfil pre-orders. By all means try but just don't be too disappointed. If it was me I'd head to Apple directly as soon as possible. Even staff have been amazed by this shortage. Just to pass on my thoughts.

As we all know (and have read here over the past week) "telecommunication companies" in the UK are very unreliable......namely because of their ill informed under educated employees....I would take this information with a pinch of salt, as my local O2 said they will have "some" leftover on launch day to satisfy customers who did not get a chance to order.......so there you go again, another conflicting story....that, when i was being told thought, " how much of this are you actually making up???" I was also told they would not sell any of their handsets on pay n go as they prefer to contract people...same bs, different year! (Glad I ordered through Apple, my partner didn't hence the O2 shop enquiry)
Facts? Hardly.......there is the website truth and the retail store employee truth - and they don't match up.

Kaidan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
London, UK
As we all know (and have read here over the past week) "telecommunication companies" in the UK are very unreliable......namely because of their ill informed under educated employees....I would take this information with a pinch of salt, as my local O2 said they will have "some" leftover on launch day to satisfy customers who did not get a chance to order.......so there you go again, another conflicting story....that, when i was being told thought, " how much of this are you actually making up???" I was also told they would not sell any of their handsets on pay n go as they prefer to contract people...same bs, different year! (Glad I ordered through Apple, my partner didn't hence the O2 shop enquiry)
Facts? Hardly.......there is the website truth and the retail store employee truth - and they don't match up.

SO after speaking with 8 retail store managers across 3 networks and 1 independent, all say the same thing. Up until today they were expecting available stock to sell on launch day as usual. Internal Communications and store deliveries have shown availability to not be there for walk in sales tomorrow morning. Pre-order stock will be held for between 48hrs and 5 days if not collected (not available tomorrow). Unless the iPhone fairy delivers tonight by non usual delivery methods availability in most retailers excluding Apple is going to be practically non existent to say the least. Unfortunately for the majority the fact is that they won't get one.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
You can't pre-order an iPhone 5 for collection at an Apple Store...

Kaidan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
London, UK
I think you're confusing "facts" with "not facts"

How so?

----------

I've probably forgotten to mention that I currently work in one of the Network stores and have worked in the past for the others. I've known and worked with some of these guys for over 10 years that I've had the discussions with today. Just felt to share to avoid any disappointment for some tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.