Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
...I really hope so as I am depressed after all the negative threads. I have a 2.7GHz, 16Gb, 512Mb rMBP arriving next week after spending a year on PC only. I had a 17" MBP a year ago then moved to the PC and now I am coming back :) Someone must have a positive experience with the device such as the new design, power, screen etc.

Please make me feel good about my purchase Lol!

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I just ordered one too and the IR problem can be scary on the internet. However, people tend to be louder on the internet and I believe there are a lot of non faulty rMBP.

Best of luck to both of us though

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Not to get all serious but if you are looking for verification from others for your purchase then you probably should not have made the purchase in the first place.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
You're not going to run over to MacRumors and shout through the forums that you got a Perfect MacBook Pro with Retina Display... So don't sweat it. If there is a Problem Apple will fix it. If it was as widespread as you might be lead to believe here Apple would have done a recall.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
You're not going to run over to MacRumors and shout through the forums that you got a Perfect MacBook Pro with Retina Display... So don't sweat it. If there is a Problem Apple will fix it. If it was as widespread as you might be lead to believe here Apple would have done a recall.

Well said.

bjarkebech

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
I love mine - best laptop I've ever had!

Unfortunately i am experiencing some graphics tearing issues in Safari when using the integrated GPU – which seems to be pretty widespread.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Not to get all serious but if you are looking for verification from others for your purchase then you probably should not have made the purchase in the first place.

Its a light hearted thread, chill.I am looking forward to it arriving and I feel as though its actually the right time to get one now that 10.8.2, EFI, updated programmes and Office 2011 are available.

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I love mine - best laptop I've ever had!

Unfortunately i am experiencing some graphics tearing issues in Safari when using the integrated GPU – which seems to be pretty widespread.

Yes, I have that sometimes, its a common bug on safari, maybe apple is fixing it :D

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
personally i dont think 10.8.2 made any noticeable difference in performance on the rmbp. i use mine daily for work (design and dev) and for regular other stuff.

spec-wise its a great machine. its a shame the retina modes make the UI seem a bit sluggish. my 2008 macbook can scroll websites and switch spaces etc super smoothly. my rmbp sometimes does it smoothly and sometimes doesn't. its the inconsistent performance thats a downer for the rmbp.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
At last...

Was going to say the same thing. I know this is predominantly a place where people share problems and challenges but having defected from windows after 20 years I am delighted with my RMBP. I have had a couple of challenges such as screen mash when browsing but very rarely and much better of late. I push my laptop really hard, use Logic 9, VMWare fusion, edit videos and well frankly its stood up to every task. Never let me down once which is amazing.

Am literally delighted with my purchase though my missus keeps saying 'you bought it, you didn't invent it. Shut up!'

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've had mine for over a week now and it has not had any of the issues that have been reported here. No IR, No dead pixels, minimal backlight bleed, and no lag or other performance issues. The screen is beautiful, plays games very well, SSD is great, and USB 3.0 has been a huge difference for my external drives. I loved my iMac, but this is even better, especially since I can easily take it with me. :D

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Its a light hearted thread, chill.I am looking forward to it arriving and I feel as though its actually the right time to get one now that 10.8.2, EFI, updated programmes and Office 2011 are available.

I understand, I figured maybe if I prefaced it that it would not sound negative but evidently not. My reply was not meant to be rude, it's genuine insight - only you can validate your own purchases.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Just picked mine up from the Apple Store an hour ago (had it delivered there to save a few bucks). 2.6/16/512.

So far the machine runs like a champ. LOVE the display even though it is a bit dim (Samsung).

My only complaint is a tiny dent on the bottom panel - going to run back to the Apple Store in 20 minutes to see if they'll replace the metal panel. Definitely came out of the box with it, barely noticeable except for the light distortion but I don't want it to affect my warranty down the road.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
They replaced it no charge. Crazy that the panel would have cost me over $100 if I damaged it myself.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Took me 6 tries to get a cosmetically perfect machine with an excellent Samsung display and no creaking. I gave up after #5 but there was simply no alternative to the design and power of the rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.