Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffbell01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

First post - be gentle !!

My wife has an iPhone 4 at present and is getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow. I'm getting her old 4 as a hand me down!!

It's never been updated and is still on 4.1 !!

I plugged it into iTunes and backed it up in anticipation of the new phone and of course it offered to update it - to IOS6 !!

Do I have to have 6 on it or is there anyway of getting 5.1.1 ??

Cheers

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,

First post - be gentle !!

My wife has an iPhone 4 at present and is getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow. I'm getting her old 4 as a hand me down!!

It's never been updated and is still on 4.1 !!

I plugged it into iTunes and backed it up in anticipation of the new phone and of course it offered to update it - to IOS6 !!

Do I have to have 6 on it or is there anyway of getting 5.1.1 ??

Cheers

I think Apple must have stopped signing 5.1.1 (making it impossible to install it unless you've had your SHSH blobs saved and bypass Apple's identity management system)... so in essence you're stuck with 6.0 ... yeah no jailbreak yet ... why would you not want to just put it on iOS 6? There are so many cool features if you don't care about jailbreaking it.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
yeah... ur pretty much stuck with ios6. apart from maps, its not that bad..! and besides, the untethered jailbreak will be out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.