Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Basically I'm reinstalling Mountain Lion, and it's taking.. ages. About 4/5 hours just to go about a 10th of the bar. So I'll need to leave it charging.

Honestly, if there are problems, I'm willing to wake myself up and just plug it in to charge whenever it needs, and take it off charge when full, as this Mac is a day old and I forked out my savings for it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Basically I'm reinstalling Mountain Lion, and it's taking.. ages. About 4/5 hours just to go about a 10th of the bar. So I'll need to leave it charging.

Honestly, if there are problems, I'm willing to wake myself up and just plug it in to charge whenever it needs, and take it off charge when full, as this Mac is a day old and I forked out my savings for it.
Yes, you can leave it plugged in overnight or while you're using it. It will stop charging when it's full. It cannot overcharge. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Thank you both. What a relief. Is this a newer thing, for some reason I had it in my mind leaving it charging when fully charged was bad.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Thank you both. What a relief. Is this a newer thing, for some reason I had it in my mind leaving it charging when fully charged was bad.

It's been that way since Lithium batteries were introduced really, leaving them plugged in often is not harmful, it is just good practice to let it discharge once in a while to keep the electrons flowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.