Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Snapshot-92012-338-PM.png

With iOS 6 released to the public for just over 24 hours now, Apple's new and highly touted Maps application has received a large amount of public criticism over missing features and glitches. Google has already submitted its own iOS Maps app to Apple, but the company has responded via a public statement issued to AllThingsD:
"Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service," said spokeswoman Trudy Miller. "We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."
Later in his piece, AllThingsD writer John Paczkowski says the developer team assigned to the Maps app is "under lockdown" working to fix the app.

Article Link: Apple Issues Statement Over Day 1 'Maps' Glitches, Maps Team Reportedly Under Lockdown to Fix Issues

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Apple needs to make a Apple Map Maker so they can get data fixed and added. I feel so bad for the Maps team though.

jreed91

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
It's going to take time no one can just create an entire database of the world in one day.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If they even look at the elevator it's instant firing.

They can face time with their families. Births, weddings and graduations can be put on DVD for later viewing. For now, you work.

seven2k7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Come on Ios users do the Apples job for them and then pay them buy buying their product. Its not like Google has hikers, planes, and cars to do their work around the WORLD!!

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I have no doubt they'll clear up most of the issues within the next week or so. And we'll be on 6.0.1

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
This, and the Google Maps app, should be excellent.

Choice, choice, choice. Something kind of new to Apple.

Also, check out this Tumblr to see just how bad iOS 6 maps are.

Last edited:

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
I'm so surprised that Apple allowed the Maps application to go live. It's almost as like we are all beta testers for them. I hope they get google maps back up and running soon.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You would think that they would have tested it to make sure it worked before they released it.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I feel sorry for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple keeps them up for days until they get it fixed.

It's going to take at least a year to fix a lot of the issues so I hope they don't stay locked up that long for their own health. The issues aren't simple fixes that Apple can make. It takes a lot of curating of data over long periods of time to fix most of the issues being reported. It isn't like people are reporting bugs with the software itself. It seems to work fine but their is so much inaccurate/missing data it is causing a poor experience.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
When Apple PR's department says "Under Lockdown" do they mean paid overtime or Foxconn chinese labor lock down? I highly doubt the Apple executive team is forcing its six figure programmers to eat and sleep at the Apple HQ. That would be pretty funny though if they did. Whoever screwed up the Brooklyn Bridge should have to eat maggoty rice over the weekend.

It would bring a whole new twist to "debugging"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.