Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello.
How are you?
I am currently wanting to buy a tablet.
I am thinking about an IPad 3 WiFi model.
I am a not torn between the iPad 3 or an android tablet.
This is why:
My current computer is a 2011 iMac 27 with mountain lion.
I've been using apple computers for 5 years and not using windows for all that time has been a blessing.

In regard to my cell phone, I've never had an iPhone. I am an android user from a couple of years.
My current phone is a galaxy nexus and I really enjoy the stock vanilla android and the latest jelly bean.

So, I am torn.
In my computer, I just use ITunes to listen to music, a web browser and vlc to play video files.
I don't have the need to use productivity software on my personal computer.
So, I don't really use apple apps like mail, calendar, notes and such. I rely on google services via web browser for that and keep it synced to my phone.

So, with all this in mind, should I go iPad 3 or something like the Acer a700 with its 1920x1200 screen?

I know the iPad is a great piece of kit, but I don't know how I would handle iOS and the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad is kind of a turn off to me.
The support from apple and timely updates are a plus.

The A700 has a more appealing 16:10 aspect ratio, removable storage, more internal storage and is cheaper, but not by much.
It is not a nexus device, so updates would depend on Acer, and I don't know how that would work out.

I also though about a nexus 7, but since its size is more close to my phone, I afraid it could me somewhat redundant device...

So, based on this, what are your opinions?

Please help me out.

Thanks.
Cheers

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
We have similar setup's. I have a 13 inch Air & a Galaxy Nexus phone, I also have an iPad 3 & love it.

The Acer tablet has so attractive features but at the end of the day, it's an Acer product. If you buy a tablet & have any problems with it who would you rather deal with for support, Apple or shudder.. Acer?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Hello.
How are you?

I'm well! Thanks for asking!

If all you plan on doing is those few things (iTunes, web browsing, and video watching), the cheaper option might be better.

Web browsing on the iPad is flawless. As far a video watching, also flawless. The only downside to the ipad I would say is the speakers. The iPad's speakers are dreadful. If you use earbuds, this isn't a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.