Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Upgraded my 2011 MBP to 10.8.2 last night and as soon as it rebooted my fans have been going nuts constantly. I've tried rebooting, and running with no apps so just the plain desktop but my fans are running at what seems full speed all the time now. Have tried on integrated and discrete graphics but same problem.

Anyone else having this problems? Guess I'm going to have to roll back to 10.8.1 now.

Geez, this as my iPhone getting stuck in the Recovery Mode cycle for 6 reboots before taking iOS6, this update cycle isn't my good time.

QuantumFireball

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
My experience

My early 2011 13in. macbook pro has been doing the same thing. I opened activity monitor and saw my dock was using over 80% of my processor. Hitting quit process restarted it at a much lower level and my fans quit. I'm starting to investigate why its doing this.

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
This sounds like the issue reported a while back where the Dock used a lot of CPU if there were directories on the Dock displayed as Stacks. The solution was to display as Folders.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Hi I noticed that too on my 2010 that the fans go up higher in order to cool it down, if that is Apples solution it sucks! You are basically wearing down the fans, they should have came up with a permanent solution.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Dont have any stacks in my dock.

I have another HDD in my MBP which is running 10.8 and if I boot into that, all good. Boot back into 10.8.2 and fans go nuts. Darn.

resume

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Fans acting weirdly after 10.8.2 update

Hi there,

seems like I'm having similar troubles only the fan kicks in at odd times and get quiet after a little while

it might kick in after a spike in cpu usage (have to check that it's actually related) which would seem normal but it did not do that on 10.8.1. It could of course start if a process stays up for a while but here the fan starts immediately jumps directly to 5000-6000 rpm

I'll try to report more infos

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Upgraded my 2011 MBP to 10.8.2 last night and as soon as it rebooted my fans have been going nuts constantly. I've tried rebooting, and running with no apps so just the plain desktop but my fans are running at what seems full speed all the time now.
seems like I'm having similar troubles only the fan kicks in at odd times and get quiet after a little while

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. If there is increased heat, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

skybythelight

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. If there is increased heat, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

This worked for me, thanks! :)

resume

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Installing 10.8.2 combo update fixed my issues

hi,

I had fans going petty wild all the time on a late 2009 MBP

Apple support made me install this combo update (I already had 10.8.2 installed)

OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.2 (Combo) : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581?viewlocale=en_US

this has made my machine quiet and nice to work with again!

hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.