Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
octane
macrumors newbie

Question Problem editing .bash_profile

Hi guys!

Earlier today, I upgraded to Mountain Lion (which I am sincerely blown away by), and now need to reinstall PHP and MySQL.

I began with the how-to instructions on Mac Mini Vault, but I got snagged at the first stage of making edits via Terminal.

I got as far as pasting in
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
but the moment I pressed the escape key, things began to deviate from the instructions. At this point, I couldn't even make a graceful exit from vi, and had to just quit Terminal.

When I began again, I was warned that a temporary / swap file had been created (evidently by me, given the details) and that edits were present. I chose the option of deleting this file.

While still in the throws of a mild rush of panic, I returned to Terminal and ran a directory listing, based on some instructions from another source. Sure enough, a .bash_profile file was sat there, goading me, even though I'd deleted it, or at least I thought I had.

At this stage, I have zero idea whether I've damaged my brand new installation of Mountain Lion or not, and would really appreciate some assistance in clearing up any potential mess I may have made to the .bash_profile file.
octane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
octane
macrumors newbie

Okay, after a bit of think, I went into Transmit to view the hidden files in my home directory and found the .bash_profile document, which I then opened using BBEdit and file appears to be completely empty.

If this is the case, can I manually enter the required text into the file to proceed with the installation?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:10 AM   #3
octane
macrumors newbie

Just in case a moderator checks, I've found a solution, so you can close this thread.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion